Help an aspiring Sylvian author...if you can

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Help an aspiring Sylvian author...if you can

Postby pradakid900 on Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 am

Hello all;

I have recently began the editing process on a written work I have been laboring over on a part time basis throughout the last four and a half years. It is the manuscript for a book I am going to try to have published. It is one particular telling of thirty years of one person's life, opening at the end then going back to the beginning (mother's death at five, father's disappearance, target of grandparents' reflective resentment, religion, first love, skating and Xanadu) through the middle (Bowie and Bauhaus, sexuality, identity, religion, popularity, hair bands, alcohol, drugs, lake trips, jobs, other first love, parties, parties, parties) and on to more recent times (couture crazy, new identity, San Francisco nights, sex clubs and X rated street fairs, religion, major life-changing horrible thing, major life changing incredible thing, so far but yet so near).

And that is skimming the surface. From page one there is side splitting humor, confounding confusion, soulwrenching sadness, blatant bazaarity, screaming sarcasm, as well as dead certainty and humble humility. The body of the work is made of one story after another, set cronologically. They do all stand alone, but all add up to create something greater than their sum, and throughout each story are numerous references to parts in other stories. And, among the written stories are the ones lying between the lines in different degrees of hiding. Much of the text has been constructed to please on the surface in a poetic sort of way with a quick read and also actually reveal something deeper when the words are pondered. Many currents run throughout the book in all manor of ways that do get some tieing up toward the end; many transformations are made, though the main character always remains an outsider looking in.

So, here's the thing: naturally, being the biggest Sylvian appreciator I know, there is a good chunk of material devoted to Sylvian including: first discovery of Japan, record collecting, the undeniable influence of the music, lyrics and accompanying art, as well as a couple personal interactions with Sylvian. So, instead of another bio or something it's a story about all this other demented stuff that Sylvian somehow plays a part in, and Sylvian-related references (as well as Mommie Dearest and so many others) are interlaced throughout.

Okay, this is really the thing. I am asking for all the help with this that I can get. If anyone out there in Sylvianland either has or knows anyone who has any connections regarding publishing or acquiring an agent for this type of project, please send any info to me. This is not my field, and I am just pursuing this on my own through many channels and thought I would put the call out here being that this is a Sylvian related endeavor, and you all will definitely want to read this.

Although it sounds crazy and stupid (which is by design) it is in seriousness. I know it's a damned long shot and I have a lousy aim, but what do I have to lose? If anyone can help, please send me a message or response.

Thanks very much!
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Re: Help an aspiring Sylvian author...if you can

Postby neonico on Mon Jan 25, 2010 6:00 am

pradakid900 wrote:Hello all;

I have recently began the editing process on a written work I have been laboring over on a part time basis throughout the last four and a half years. It is the manuscript for a book I am going to try to have published. It is one particular telling of thirty years of one person's life, opening at the end then going back to the beginning (mother's death at five, father's disappearance, target of grandparents' reflective resentment, religion, first love, skating and Xanadu) through the middle (Bowie and Bauhaus, sexuality, identity, religion, popularity, hair bands, alcohol, drugs, lake trips, jobs, other first love, parties, parties, parties) and on to more recent times (couture crazy, new identity, San Francisco nights, sex clubs and X rated street fairs, religion, major life-changing horrible thing, major life changing incredible thing, so far but yet so near).

And that is skimming the surface. From page one there is side splitting humor, confounding confusion, soulwrenching sadness, blatant bazaarity, screaming sarcasm, as well as dead certainty and humble humility. The body of the work is made of one story after another, set cronologically. They do all stand alone, but all add up to create something greater than their sum, and throughout each story are numerous references to parts in other stories. And, among the written stories are the ones lying between the lines in different degrees of hiding. Much of the text has been constructed to please on the surface in a poetic sort of way with a quick read and also actually reveal something deeper when the words are pondered. Many currents run throughout the book in all manor of ways that do get some tieing up toward the end; many transformations are made, though the main character always remains an outsider looking in.

So, here's the thing: naturally, being the biggest Sylvian appreciator I know, there is a good chunk of material devoted to Sylvian including: first discovery of Japan, record collecting, the undeniable influence of the music, lyrics and accompanying art, as well as a couple personal interactions with Sylvian. So, instead of another bio or something it's a story about all this other demented stuff that Sylvian somehow plays a part in, and Sylvian-related references (as well as Mommie Dearest and so many others) are interlaced throughout.

Okay, this is really the thing. I am asking for all the help with this that I can get. If anyone out there in Sylvianland either has or knows anyone who has any connections regarding publishing or acquiring an agent for this type of project, please send any info to me. This is not my field, and I am just pursuing this on my own through many channels and thought I would put the call out here being that this is a Sylvian related endeavor, and you all will definitely want to read this.

Although it sounds crazy and stupid (which is by design) it is in seriousness. I know it's a damned long shot and I have a lousy aim, but what do I have to lose? If anyone can help, please send me a message or response.

Thanks very much!

you could ask cris crader

or theres a small compny called lulu

there address is

LuLu Enterprises UK Ltd

263 Putney Bridge Road
London SW15 2PU
UK

email www.lulu.com/help/email_support.php

i think this is a disdributor but perhaps they can help you futher good luck...

heres the address and
neonico

Re: Help an aspiring Sylvian author...if you can

Postby Adrian on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:58 am

Hello Pradakid. My guess is you're in America, which makes publishing a bit different than in Holland, where I work in publishing. I would strongly urge you to google on 'literary or publishing agent', maybe with where you live, to narrow it down a bit; contact who/what seems to be a good option for you and have them explain a bit about how things work. They should be able to advice you on what to do, will read you stuff and generally help out. If things go really well, they will also be the people/person that will negotiate on your behalf with publishers. As a last word, I think, beware of people who want your money to do things for you - like in the modelling world. Good luck!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season