Best Music of 2009

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: Best Music of 2009

Postby Adrian on Mon Dec 14, 2009 3:41 pm

hey Baht,
we have three releases in common - which is good to see as I thought I was the only one with impeccable taste whahahahahahaha!!!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:03 am

Frankly it's been the worst year I suppose since 2005. The big names are in a collective writer's block. Electronic music sounds more and more the same. Even the young virtuosos, like Patrick Watson, are in a downturn.

P.
Last edited by FlyingPig on Tue Dec 22, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Foales Arishes on Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:17 am

Hard to choose as I've bought more albums this year than any other, around fifty, and there is still some weeks left of the year. For me its been a wonderful year of new discoveries, with some really strong work from extremely talented, but virtually unknown, artists.

A few of the pieces that really stand out for me, in no particular order.

Manafon - D.S
Dartmoor Symphony - Nigel Shaw
Box Of Birch - Broken Consort [Richard Skelton]
Fires - Le Lendemain
Rain Cloud - Kerala
Landings - Richard Skelton
Light in August - Danny Norbury
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 am

Well, overall I guess I would have to agree with you. I still think for Beatles fans that the Mono Box Set was a HUGE deal and the Patrick Wolf and Andrew Bird albums were awesome. However, past these few things, the year has been a bit on the slow side. Here's to a better 2010 (in every way!) ;-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:18 am

I mentioned this before...I have been a huge Depeche fan since the early 80's. Thought Sounds of the Universe was horrid.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Dec 15, 2009 2:51 pm

FlyingPig wrote:It seems everyone's kidding themselves. Frankly it's been the worst year I suppose since 2005.
P.

It's a shame that you haven't found any music to be all that appealing this year. But how exactly are we kidding ourselves? It's my understanding that the thread was basically started so that we could share the titles of what music released within this year was enjoyable to us. Some of us are doing exactly that, as we enjoy doing so at the end of every year. Just because you personally were not satisfied with the musical output surely does not mean that anyone else is 'kidding themselves' when they post a list of their preferred musical choices, does it? I don't believe the weight that one puts on their own personal tastes and preferences should allow them to then belittle anybody else's tastes and that is what you seemed to have intended with the denunciation that 'everyone's kidding themselves'.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Wed Dec 16, 2009 3:47 am

for me personally one of the best years musically, so... I've (re-)discovered my passion for improv and such music, largely due to the Erstwhile label - Thanks Jon! - one more release from this year that I should mention, although requiring many more listens, is 'imaoto' by Radu Malfatti (trombone) and Klaus Filip (sinewaves). Don't get me wrong, this won't be everybody's cup of tea, I'm not even sure it's tea at all, more room temperature water with slight trace elements...
I would also like to wish everyone a happy x-mas and a great new year with whatever they could wish for themselves and their loved ones. At the end of the day it's only music guys 'n gals!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:24 am

baht habit wrote:
FlyingPig wrote:It seems everyone's kidding themselves. Frankly it's been the worst year I suppose since 2005.
P.

It's a shame that you haven't found any music to be all that appealing this year. But how exactly are we kidding ourselves? It's my understanding that the thread was basically started so that we could share the titles of what music released within this year was enjoyable to us. Some of us are doing exactly that, as we enjoy doing so at the end of every year. Just because you personally were not satisfied with the musical output surely does not mean that anyone else is 'kidding themselves' when they post a list of their preferred musical choices, does it? I don't believe the weight that one puts on their own personal tastes and preferences should allow them to then belittle anybody else's tastes and that is what you seemed to have intended with the denunciation that 'everyone's kidding themselves'.

That may have sounded harsh. I agree. I'm sorry for this.
I've bought more music this year than ever, in a subconscious effort I suppose to find something that carries me away. but to no avail.
I think that we may in some cases, exagerate the value of the music output because part of our lives depend on it. I'm the first to admit it. But for once I was frank, so my comment stating that this year was poor stands. Ok let's say the Animal Collective were memorable, but other than that...
Again, my apologies. :oops:
P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:38 pm

Yikes, loads of good albums this year... so difficult to choose!

But if I had to pick just ONE: Porcupine Tree-The Incident! :-D :smt023
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Open Season