iPod help needed

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

iPod help needed

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 29, 2006 8:44 am

Ok I feel really stupid that I can't figure this out. But, hopefully someone here can help me.
I have an iPod mini... i'm trying to get the music off the iPod and back into my computer and I can't seem to figure out how to do it. I use iTunes. I can't even figure out how to burn a cd from the music on the iPod. I feel really dumb here so please don't laugh....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:04 am

Im waiting with baited breath here - as an MP3 player is on my to buy list at some point and they look really complicated and scary.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:53 am

Man, I don't know what to tell ya- I've had the opposite problem but not that one! Try Apple's site

They have helped me a bunch!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:55 pm

ok i'm a big dah... why didn't i think of that??? HA HA
Thanks K!

*ok well i went to apples site.... searched and searched and can not find any help to this question.*
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:16 pm

If you have the music on your iPod, it should already be in your iTunes, as the iPod needs iTunes to update the tracks when you connect. If you loaded the iPod with music from another computer, however, that's another story. I can explain how to get the music off the iPod if that's the case--just ask.

To burn a cd in iTunes, you have to make a playlist. Select the songs you want on the cd, then go to File-->New Playlist from selection. The new playlist will open (you can name it, if you want, over on the sidebar)--insert your blank cd and hit the big "Burn CD" button at the top right corner of the window. It should begin burning at that point. If you've selected too many songs to fit on one cd, it will let you know and you can either split up the music on multiple cds or delete some songs until the playlist fits. Hope this helps.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:52 am

yeah i know how to use iTunes like crazy. I removed the music from my iTunes library ages ago, so now it is only on my iPod. I see it when my iPod is plugged in to iTunes, it plays just fine, I just can't seem to burn a cd from my iPod or get the music from the iPod back into iTunes.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby John Trevethan on Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:57 am

Gods,

Unfortunately Apple only allows the transfer of music from a computer to the iPod and not the other direction. This is to prevent piracy by simply transferring the entire contents of an iPod to any (or many) computers.

Of course you can sync an iPod to any computer running iTunes, but you will be asked to completely erase the current iPod contents and reload it with the library stored on the computer that the iPod is currently connected to.

Or (as in your case) you can play your iPod data in iTunes, however you are not allowed to burn a CD - again for piracy reasons.

Bottom line: the iPod is only a clone of the iTunes music library stored on your computer. (One good thing about all of this is that you always have an automatic backup of your music since it is stored in two places.)

Hope this helps,
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:49 pm

there is a rip program i found that allows you to remove the music from your iPod. It is ok... I have most of it on cds... i just wanted to make double sure i did. I was trying to make room on my iPod for all my david music without losing anything.

I can understand the piracy thing. Sounds like a jump drive is a better device to keep extra tunes on.... at least data is transferrable with those.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:54 pm

are you on a pc or a mac? if you're on a pc, there's a way to get the music off the iPod without having to download a rip program. let me know and I'll tell you how to do it. It's a little annoying, but not hard--takes a good bit of typing to explain, tho.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:57 pm

i'm on a Mac. I appreciate all the helpful advice peeps :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season