Best Recipes!

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Best Recipes!

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:35 am

I thought it would be cool if we could all share our favorite recipes! I know I'm always looking to try something new so don't hesitate! ... It can be simple or complicated, sweet or savory... Post away! I'll post one of mine first.

---PERFECT PECAN PIE (With a few modifications)---

---PIE CRUST---

To start, you'll want to make your pie crust a few hours in advance of making your pie filling, because it will need to chill for at least an hour in the refridge before you use it. You can even make this crust a day or two in advance, if need be.

Ingredients:

- 1 1/4 cup (300 mL) of Unbleached all-purpose white flour
- 1/4 TSP (>2.5 mL) of salt (A generous pinch)
- 1 TBS (15 mL) of white sugar (Again, a generous scoop)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) of UNSALTED butter (COLD!)
- 1/2 cup (120 mL) of plain vegetable shortening (COLD!)
- Approx. 4-6 TBS (60 - 90 mL) of water (ICE COLD!)

Tools you'll need:

- Food Processor, pastry cutter or a strong blender (Not necessary but REALLY helps)
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Rolling Pin (for later)
- Parchment paper (not necessary, for later)
- Knife (Only if not using a food processor)
- 9 inch (0.2286 meter) Pie Dish

How to make the crust:

First, the food processor, blender, or pastry cutter will definitely help cut down on mess and time, and it will keep your fat cold. If the recipe calls for something to be very cold, please make sure it is. The reason you want to have things cold (and keep them cold) is so your fat doesn't get absorbed by the flour. If this happens, you will not have a flaky crust!

- About an hour before preparation, make sure your fats are cold. Butter is in the refridge, and stick your shortening in the freezer. Also, make sure you have a few ice cubes so that you can have ice water when making the pie dough.
- Starting prep, measure your flour, salt, and sugar into a food processor. Mix together just using the processor. Some people like to stick this mixture in the freezer for a half hour. If you don't have the time, it isn't absolutely necessary.
- Add your cold butter, and your cold shortening. Just pulse this together a few times in the processor. (Meaning, don't hold down the button, just pump it like you would pump the brakes on a slippery road! :) ) You don't want to over-mix, so just do this until the mixture gets a bit clumpy.
- Add your ice water. don't add too little or too much. Use common sense to know how much is enough. Pulse this mixture a few more times. If the right amount of water was added, it should turn into the perfect dough almost instantly. If it's crumbly, add a touch more water. If it's sticky, add a touch more flour... If the dough is rock hard, you may have over-mixed it. The dough should still be fine to use, though.
- Flatten your dough immediately so that it is about the same width as a CD, and a little over an inch thick. Wrap it tight with plastic wrap and stick it in the refridge. This must chill at least an hour.

---FILLING---

Ingrediants:

- 3 Large Eggs
- 2 TBS (30 mL or 1/4 stick) of UNSALTED butter
- 3/4 cup (180 mL) of dark brown sugar
- 1 cup (240 ml) of light corn syrup (KARO if you can get it)
- 2 HEAPING cups (475 mL) of FRESH pecans
- 1 Cup (240 mL) of FRESH pecans (to decorate later)
- 1/4 TSP (>2.5 mL) salt
- 1 TSP (5 mL) of vanilla extract
- 1/3 (80 mL) cup of cream
- (OPTIONAL) 2 TBS (30 mL) of Bourbon, Brandy, or Whiskey

What you'll need:

- Mixing Spoon
- Rubber Spatula
- Big mixing bowl
- Small bowl (for eggs)
- Large Skillet (for roasting pecans)
- Sharp Knife (chopping pecans)
- Cutting board
- Whisk
- Aluminum Foil (Only if you'll need to cover your crust)

Make the filling!

- Preheat oven to 350 F (176.7 C) when you feel the time is right.
- Grease your pie pan with unsalted butter. Cooking spray may be easy, but it will give the crust a weird flavor.
- Roll out your pie crust. When you take it out of the refridge, it may be rock hard. Don't fret. If you try and roll it out now, it will crack and not be circular. Let it rest on a piece of lightly floured parchment paper. When it gets soft, flour the dough, and the rolling pin. Roll it out evenly in all directions until it is about the size and shape of a record LP. Transfer the crust carefully to your pie pan. lightly form it to the pan making sure there are no air bubbles between the pan and the dough. Stick the pie pan in the refridge until the filling is ready.
- Dump the 2 HEAPING cups (475 mL) of pecans into your large skillet. You want fresh pecans, because the oils in older once can make them rancid. Set the heat to medium high. When you start to smell pecans in the air, flip them (Either with the skillet itself, or a spatula) keep them moving. When they are just a slight shade darker, and you can smell more pecan oils, take them off the heat and put them on the cutting board. This should be a quick process as you do not want to burn the pecans.
- Use a very sharp knife, and work it slowly through the pecans. Turn your cutting board and chop the other way... They should be the size of your fingernails. Make sure to chop any strays up as well.
- Using the skillet still hot from the pecans, quickly wipe it out, and take it off the burner then put your 2 TBS (30 mL) of butter in to melt it. While the butter melts, get your other ingredients ready.
- Add the melted butter to the big mixing pan with a rubber spatula.
- Crack your 3 eggs into a small bowl. You want to crack these into a separate bowl in case you get one that is rancid.
- Mix your eggs into the butter and whisk them together.
- Add your Light corn syrup using a rubber spatula since a lot will stick to the sides of your measuring cup.
- You will notice yellow clumps in the mixture. This is just your butter cooling. Don't worry... it will all melt together again in the oven.
- Add your brown sugar, salt, vanilla extract, cream and alcohol (if used). Whisk them together until smooth and creamy. Dump in your chopped, roasted pecans and mix them up.
- Take your pie pan (with the crust already in it) out of the refridge. Slowly pour in the mixture. It is OK for it to be runny, the eggs will take care of that.
- Trim any excess crust so that it is about an inch wide from the filling. If there is a lack of dough around the pie, take the excess and mold it to that section the best you can.
- Use your fingers to roll in the extra dough. Smooth it out, and make it look as even as you can. Use a fork to press down on the sides to make a pretty design. This may push the crust out a bit, use your fingers and just nudge it in to make it look perfect. If you don't want to use a fork, use your fingers to give it that classic pinched look.
- Place quickly into your heated oven, and set the timer for 20 minutes. When the timer goes off, take your pie out and check the crust. If it's browning quickly, cover it with tin foil. Also, now is the time to decorate your pie with the reserve pecans. These did not need to be roasted, or chopped. Decorate to your liking.
- Place the pie back in the oven for 35 - 40 more minutes. check on it when it gets to 10 minutes left of cooking, and 5. When you take the pie out of the oven, the center should look puffed-up (This will fall as it cools) and a bit fluffy. The crust should look golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a pie rack (or on a pot-holder) for at least 2 hours before eating. This will allow the pie to set correctly. ... Make sure to take pictures!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Best Recipes!

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:52 pm

Oops! I just realized I didn't use the metric system for the whole thing. I just went through and added the metric version for everyone.

Hope that helps!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:23 pm

... So does everyone just eat KFC every night, then?! C'mon! Someone's gotta have a good Gumbo, or Pasta dish... Or some kind of Potstickers or something!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:09 am

Silver Moon wrote:... So does everyone just eat KFC every night, then?!

Um... *raises hand* :oops:

It's no fun cooking for just one, y'know!!! :smt005
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:08 pm

Oh come on. Someone must have a Cornish Pastie recipie from great great grandma or something! If no one wants to share a recipe, at least tell us about your favorite foods!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:10 pm

Someone needs to try my recipe. I have a lot of pie recipes so... If anyone wants a good pie recipe you can ask, also.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby david on Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 pm

tomaten soup

3 lb Plum tomatoes
5 tb Olive oil
1 Red bell pepper; diced
2 Garlic cloves; minced
2 tb Tomato paste
1 ts Fresh thyme leaves; -OR-
1/4 ts -Dried thyme, crumbled
1 ds Hot pepper sauce
1 sm Fennel bulb; trimmed, diced
1 sm Zucchini; diced
1 sm Green pepper; diced
4 lg Mushrooms; diced
1 Celery stalk; diced
4 Fresh basil leaves
thinly sliced

everything in the mixer

cheers
david
Noob
Noob

Postby proggrl on Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:19 am

Silver Moon wrote:... So does everyone just eat KFC every night, then?! C'mon! Someone's gotta have a good Gumbo, or Pasta dish... Or some kind of Potstickers or something!

-K-

Actually we're just waiting for Matt's recipes!! :D And I'm still waiting for my blueberry pie. Your dad said you deliver! :lol:

BTW, I can't STAND KFC
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:49 am

proggrl wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:... So does everyone just eat KFC every night, then?! C'mon! Someone's gotta have a good Gumbo, or Pasta dish... Or some kind of Potstickers or something!

-K-

Actually we're just waiting for Matt's recipes!! :D And I'm still waiting for my blueberry pie. Your dad said you deliver! :lol:

BTW, I can't STAND KFC

haha, I don't think most people would be too keen on seeing my recipes that are multiple day processes! :-D

We did try something recently, it was a Lemon-Poppyseed pasta and it turned out great. Just take your regular fresh pasta dough and zest about 4-5 lemons, add the zest and the juice of one or two lemons (add to your liking, might have to use a bit more flour the more juice you add) and then add in a few spoons of poppyseeds until it's evenly spread throughout. We had it with roasted garlic and fresh tomatoes and it was knockout good. :shock:
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Oct 21, 2009 10:28 am

OK... I had to resurrect this dead thread because I just created one of THE best pies I have ever eaten...

This pie is a cross between Grasshopper Pie and French Silk Pie... With an Oreo cookie crust. Because of the ingredients, color, flavor, and time involved in making this pie... It's a good Christmas pie. If you go to a Christmas party and bring my Pecan Pie Recipe, Home Made Sweet Potato Pie, and the one I'm about to give you... You'll be the star... OK here we go:

TOOLS:

-Mixing Bowls
-Food Processor (Or strong Blender)
-9 inch Pie Pan
-Electric Mixer (Sorry, hand crank won't work here)
-Small Pan (For melting Marsmallows & Chocolate)
-Rubber Spatula (A newer one, not an old one!)
-A Freezer
-A Whisk
-A Fork

CRUST:

-1 Pack of CHOCOLATE (not regular) cream-stuffed Oreo cookies. (You'll use about 2/3 of the pack.) If you hate Oreo's... You can grab a pack of 30 Chocolate Wafers.
-1/2 Stick of UNSALTED butter. (soft)

FILLING:

OK, there are going to be 2 separate fillings that NEED to be made separately. Do not mix any of the ingredients, treat them like 2 separate pie fillings until I say so!

Filling # 1: Grasshopper

- 3/8 Cup (Or a little under 1/2 cup) Whole Milk
- 12 - 14 Large Marshmallows
- 1/4 Cup Creme De Menthe Liquor
- 1/2 Cup Heavy Whipping Cream

Filling # 2: French Silk

- 1 Bar of gourmet Chocolate (About 6 x 3 inches) Milk Chocolate = Major Sweet Tooth, Dark = Sweet Tooth, VERY Dark = Not too sweet.
- 1/2 Stick UNSALTED butter (Soft)
- 1/3 Cup Sugar
- 1 TSP Vanilla
- 1 Egg
- 1/4 cup of Kahlua Liquor

PREPARATION:

-First things first is the crust. Take your food processor and get it ready. Now get your CHOCOLATE stuffed Oreo's I told you to buy. ... Why Chocolate-stuffed? ... Most recipes will tell you to discard the creamy center of an Oreo cookie before making a pie crust with it... But why let food go to waste when it will make an even tastier crust? Break them up with your fingers and throw about 10 at a time into the food processor.
- Blend well until it's a moist powder. Keep adding your cookies by about 8 - 10 until you think you have enough for a crust. A little over 2/3 of the pack will do you.
- Add half a stick of SOFT Unsalted butter to your cookie powder. Blend away until it is thoroughly mixed in. It should be a very rich mealy texture by now.
- Preheat your oven to 425 Degrees F.
- Get your pie pan, VERY lightly greased with butter and begin to firmly press the crust onto the sides and bottoms of your pan ... If you find the process is taking too long, you can get a pie pan of equal shape (ONLY if it is of exact shape and size) and press in on your mixture with the bottom of it. If you had the crust in the general area it should shape nicely. You may get frustrated with this crust, but just have patience, and it will be beautiful.
- Your oven should be mighty hot by now, so pop in your crust and bake it for 5 - 10 minutes. Check on it after 5. IF parts of the crust have bubbled up already, it's ready. Even if it never bubbles don't go longer than 10 minutes, or less than 5.
- When you remove the crust, turn your oven OFF. You will not use it again.
- Take a spoon and push any bubbly spots back in place. Now, set this crust aside and leave it alone while you make the filling(s).
- OK now for the filling... Start with your Grasshopper filling, as it will take the longest to cool. Pour your Milk into a small pot and heat it up between Medium and Medium high.
- When it's warm... Add your marshmallows. If you're intuition tells you 12 - 14 isn't enough toss a few more in. They'll be melted, so don't go hog-wild.
- Remove from the burner and mix in your Creme De Menthe... To taste. If you want more, add more! And if you don't think it will be green enough, add some green food coloring, and maybe a drop of blue.
- Stick it in the freezer. Now, Take your Whipping Cream and pour it into a mixing bowl. With an electric Mixer, beat it until stiff peaks form. Stick this mixture in the refridge.
- Now we'll move on to the chocolate mixture. Just keep in mind that you have something in the freezer. Check on it a lot, and if it starts to freeze take it out and let it warm up a bit... But it probably won't get that cold.
- Ok, get a small pot and turn on your stove to Medium, or a little lower. Break up your chocolate and throw it in. Stir it as it starts to melt.
- As it's melting, stir together your soft butter and sugar. Take your melted chocolate and use a rubber spatula to scoop it into your butter/sugar mixture. Use a fork and blend it until smooth.
- You'll need your electric mixer again, Crack your egg into the mixture, and beat it in with the electric mixer for about 5 minutes until it's, well, silky... Now add your Kahlua (Again, to taste) and beat it in with the mixer as well.
- Now, take your melted Marshmallows from the freezer, and your whipped cream from the refridge. Set your Chocolate Silk aside for the moment and concentrate now again on the Grasshopper mixture.
- Take your melted marshmallows & Creme De Menthe and fold it into your whipped cream. If it doesn't behave or fold well, you may have to mix it... If it loses it's puffiness, just beat it again for a little bit with your electric mixer. Not too much, though.
- Ok... remember that Pie Crust we forgot about? Time to get that back out and get your 2 fillings ready... They will now come together for the first time.
- Pour your chocolate and grasshopper in side by side in the pie crust. If one is more sloppy than the other that's OK too. If it's uneven, that's ok... You can even do one top, one bottom if you want.
-Take a spoon, and gently run it in circles through the fillings. Use your eye to see when the fillings look nicely marbled or swirled. Do not over mix these, though, and you want to still see a difference between the two fillings. You just want a nice marble or swirl look to the pie.
- Wen you think it looks nice, Plastic-wrap it and stick it in your refridge at least 2-4 hours before serving. When it's time to serve, and your filling seems hard, just let it sit out 5 - 10 minutes and it will be absolutely perfect.

Enjoy!

-K-

PS: Remember, this recipe has Raw Eggs. Make sure the egg you use is pasteurized, and those who are pregnant, very young (5 and under), or in bad health should probably not eat it. If you feel uncomfortable eating raw egg, find a Chocolate Pie or French Silk recipe that doesn't call for it.... Just remember to cut that recipe in half and add Kahlua.
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:21 pm

My favourite recipe these days, with the cold silently coming in, is this:
40g of oats
220ml milk
sugar/sweetener to taste
Put the oats in a saucepan. Add the milk and sugar/sweetener. Stir it all, place the saucepan on fire, and cook for 4-5 minutes until boiling, not forgetting to stir.
Pour it in a bowl and serve with tea.
I think I'm going to call this: PORRIDGE. :smt023
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:02 am

GOLDEN NUGGETS

8 ounces of chopped, dried apricots
2 1/2 cups of flaked coconut
3/4 cup of sweetened, condensed milk
1 cup of finely chopped, roasted sunflower seeds

Mix the first three ingredients together. Roll to form balls. Roll balls in sunflower seeds. Refrigerate. Nice for the holidays! :)
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Open Season