Andrew Bird

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Andrew Bird

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:25 pm

Just discovered a new artist (for me...he's actually been around quite a while) Andrew Bird. So far I have Noble Beast and Armchair Apocrypha. Both are very nice. Fans of Bon Iver, Sufjan Stevens, Iron and Wine, The Decemberists...etc should check his work out. I would describe it as somewhat off-kilter/quirky acoustic based folk music with a slight country tinge to them. Bird is an an accomplished violinist and that adds an interesting depth to the work.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby vil on Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:46 pm

Great minds, apparently, discover alike!
Just as I was writing in "Currently listening" over a week ago, I came across Andrew Bird and two days later, quite uexpectedly, found myself completely head over heels for the man. :oops:

By now, I think I have most of his discography covered. I'd also recommend Armchair Apocrypha for a start. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnXCzFnkxtY

The new album, Noble Beast is equally amazing. If not more so, as it is one of those that grow on you with each listening. "Anonanimal" is my favourite song at the moment and it's hard for me to sleep without listening to the second CD of NB's special edition, which consists of instrumental pieces for violin and sounds of the garden :wink:

Mysterious Production Of Eggs, prior to AA, is not bad either. It was actually a song from this album that caught my attention: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRk2iHkOcNE
I really wish I lived in a more civilised country where artists such as Andrew Bird would come to play. I hear he's incredible live.

And for those who like a bit of humour in their music, check out the first two albums of Andrew Bird's Bowl Of Fire - they swing like crazy, Andrew plays pre-war jazz on his violin and sings the way most people play the tenor saxophone!
vil
Noob
Noob

Postby lastgoldstar on Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:53 am

Thanks for the links, vil. That was different... and I quite liked it! I was trying to think of the best way to describe it and if I had to categorize, I'd say it falls under baroque pop. If it ain't baroque... ahem, anyway, I'm going to have to check out the jazz violin.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season