Next Japan Party

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Next Japan Party

Postby japanfan on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:42 am

A vote was held on the Japan Pioneers Yahoo group which asked where the next Japan party should be held, Scotland won the poll. However as only 9 people voted it makes the folks at nightporter apprehensive about actually having an event in Scotland incase only 9 turn up where they are guaranteed at least the same amount turning up as there was in the November event if its held in London. So if you would be happy to go to Scotland for definate get over to the Pioneers site and let them know! I would go to London again as i love the place, however i know some Sylvian fans who cannot afford to go and Scotland would be ideal for them.
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:49 am

Pity you don't consider Spain for this ;)

Seriously, sounds like fun! When will it be?
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moonshadow on Thu Jan 01, 2009 10:58 am

Would be too much if they ever consider Chile for this event? :P
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Bern on Fri Jan 02, 2009 8:57 am

Japan Fan, while it is true only 9 people voted for Scotland wasn't that about 23% of the vote as less than 40 people took part?, personally living in the North East, Scotland would be just as easy/difficult for me to get to as London, my only point would be why have a poll if you are going to ignore the results or why not start it again on this site which seems to have a larger fan base?
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Rhodesia on Fri Jan 02, 2009 11:44 am

WE WANT JAPAN PARTYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY

:D
"...And love blows through Rhodesia ..."

Rhodesia
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Fri Jan 02, 2009 12:44 pm

To be fair Paul Rymer - who runs the Japan Pioneers Yahoo Group, but is also a member here - set up the poll, and he organised the club night on 29 November, so props to him.

I personally set one up here in the summer of last year for an informal meetup. Iirc only five members here - including me, and we are all on Pioneers as well - turned up to that.

I voted for Scotland AS WELL AS other places in the UK, because I'd be happy to travel anywhere and if we're being realistic I don't think there will be one in the North West of England.

Just my opinion...
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:46 pm

Bern wrote:Japan Fan, while it is true only 9 people voted for Scotland wasn't that about 23% of the vote as less than 40 people took part?, personally living in the North East, Scotland would be just as easy/difficult for me to get to as London, my only point would be why have a poll if you are going to ignore the results or why not start it again on this site which seems to have a larger fan base?

It's untrue to say that I ignored the result of the poll. The fact is, the poll had an abysmal response rate. Nobody in their right mind would organise an event which involves cost based on the likelyhood of 9 people attending.

Furthermore, I have no contacts in Scotland, have never been to the place, and never go there for work (unlike several other cities in the poll) so there would be limited opportunity to visit venues etc. However, in the last few days people have come forward to organise something which I will support. Meanwhile, I intend to organise another event in London, where I have contacts, two possible venues, and the word of mouth from the last event has meant I have a lot of people away from japan-pioneers and this group interested in attending. So, it's likely there will be 2 events in 2009. In addition to that, if and when Sylvian announces some dates there would be further meet ups and post-gig parties in partnership with established 80s/new wave/punk etc venues. The idea would be to go along to an established night and have one of our DJs do a set.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Pagoda on Sun Jan 11, 2009 5:12 am

I hope the organization goes off smoothly,although I would almost surely be unable to come, as I live in Australia- I don't suppose there is a group running similar events closer to where I am?
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby caroline on Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:47 am

What a bummer! Just when a party comes up in Scotland, I'm pregnant. Sweet peas due in July so I don't think I'd be able to come (feeling pretty lousy at the moment).

But I hope you all have a great time at it.

Caz xxx

(Been making sure the baby hears some Sylvian most days so he/she has good taste in music :-D )
caroline
Regular
Regular

Postby Stoobie on Mon Jan 12, 2009 4:20 pm

Caz

Pregnant or not you must go !

Glad to hear the brainwashing has started already :lol:

i at least waited till my son was 5 years old before subjecting him and 6 before his first DS concert !

Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moon Park on Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:40 am

Stoobie wrote:i at least waited till my son was 5 years old before subjecting him and 6 before his first DS concert !

LOL, that's awesome :D My 5-year-old girl just looks bemused when I play Japan to her, but she's more into indie rock, her first favourite band was Franz Ferdinand :lol:

Personally I know for a fact I wouldn't be able to get up to Scotland for any kind of meet, but TBH it's hard for me to get to meets anyway, since my little girl is autistic and won't let me go anywhere without her, so for me it's all academic really :cry:
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Return to Open Season