Hurricane Season 2006 update thread

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Hurricane Season 2006 update thread

Postby krausy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:04 pm

I figured since we have the first named storm going on right now, we may as well have a hurricane thread for the season so we can keep in touch with each other, and provide info for those who may have never experienced this phenomena.

Right now in NC we are experiencing some of what is left of Tropical Depression Alberto, which here so far has been somewhat of a non-event, except for some badly needed rainfall. It must be moving along pretty quickly, as right now it is currently sunny outside, but five minutes from now it will be pouring rain I'm sure. Wind has picked up since this morning, but no more than we would normally have on any given afternoon this close to the Atlantic Coast (I live less than 10 miles from the beach).

I understand Florida has had minimal damage, and got some badly needed rain as well (that should drown out any more forest fires, hopefully). Georgia has seen some tornadic activity, with some damage near Savannah, and I hope no one there was seriously injured.

We should be back to normal tomorrow and the rest of the week. THe fishermen competing in the Big Rock Blue Marlin tournament should be happy for that.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jun 14, 2006 12:20 pm

I'm glad it didn't come up my way- We don't need any more tornadic weather!! Glad FL got some rain though, with all of those fires! However, I hope there isn't another Katrina this year :-( Being in TN, we don't get the full brunt of Hurricanes or Tropical storms/depressions, but we get what's left of it- Which is usually 3 days of heavy rain, or scattered thunderstorms from all directions.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed Jun 14, 2006 1:43 pm

Yeah, there's a good chance of me disappearing from time to time now that hurricane's are a-brewin'. :roll: I live in Pensacola and we're apparently one of the favourite landfall points for hurricanes. Ivan and Dennis and whatnot. Ivan really destroyed almost everything on the beach, but we live about 20-25 miles inland and usually manage to avoid anything devastating. The only concern for us is that we have large pine trees surrounding the house and they uproot easily, but they always manage to fall away from our house and cars.

Alberto brought rain to us, which was definitely a plus as we've been experiencing dry weather for about a month. Kept having power surges and all.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:25 pm

I heard about Alberto on TV! I'm glad it wasn't too bad. It's something really scares me when I see it on TV.
In Spain we need rain desperately. We are having the most terrible drought in decades this year. It hasn't rained in winter at all and very few in springtime... Temperature is crazy for this time of year. The weather is terribly hot... I don't want to think about how it'll be in August :? Though so much heat is making some rain, so i hope it continue this way. If not, probably we'll have a very hard summer with a lot of restrictions for the use of water.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jun 14, 2006 2:38 pm

When I lived in Savannah we had tornadoes touch down several times. Thankfully they were pretty nondestructive. They tend to hit the outer areas that are flat and empty... or out near the airforce base.

What does all the damage in savannah is torrential rain. Savannah is below sea level and it is just horrible when it floods (which is nearly everytime it rains). My friends have lost everything they owned when one of the worst hurricanes hit back in June of 1999. So sad.....
From personal experience I was trying to drive home late one night and ended up going through what i thought was just a puddle .... turned out it was more like a pond... thank god my car floated across it before causing any damage.

I wish all of you dealing with hurricanes this season all the best with no devastating damage to anyone.

And, hopefully we won't have the terrible lightening and mini twisters we had last year in ny state....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed Jun 14, 2006 10:04 pm

Well, I found out this afternoon that the inland counties of my state didn't fare too well today. In Raleigh, which is approx 3 hours inland from me, going northwest, there is an enclosed shopping mall that sits in a low spot in town that got flooded today from the rains. The TV showed cars just about completely underwater.

I'm getting ready to watch the news to see what else has happened with Alberto. We had some funky wind at work tonight shortly after I arrived, but then after the sun came out and the clouds broke up. Currently the skies are clear and starlit.

Someone took a great photo of a waterspout in a body of water between Morehead and Atlantic Beach---pretty but scary too!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:41 am

i have a friend in raleigh... i hope she and her beau faired well.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:47 pm

I just hope we don't have ANY big bad storms this year. Universe, just let us have a break, okay?
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:06 pm

my thoughts and prayers are with you in new orleans that absolutely nothing else comes your way... namaste'
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Tue Jun 20, 2006 9:50 pm

Agreed!!!!

I guess it is impossible to ask that all of us get a break this year--it sure would be nice but I just hope they are merciful!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:07 am

Well, we've made it almost all the way through June with only one storm. W00T! Five months to go! (Geez, that's depressing.)
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:55 pm

sheisnot wrote:Well, we've made it almost all the way through June with only one storm. W00T! Five months to go! (Geez, that's depressing.)

Yes, quite depressing.......and they are currently keeping watch over three separate low pressure areas in the Atlantic, two off Florida and one further out below Bermuda.

Just like a soap opera, always something stirring!!!!! :roll:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season