LPs

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Sep 14, 2008 1:40 pm

goodness heart... did you make that up or quote it from someone?? Cause D*MN! I'm hot now!!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:20 pm

Actually Gods I thought that was a perfect way of expressing it!

To answer your question, I have just started collecting vinyl again and am very lucky that the town I'm currently resident in has a multitude of shops that have excellent supplies of 80's LP's and some in very good condition. Two weeks ago I got hold of Quiet Life LP, Tin Drum LP, Exorcising Ghosts LP, and yesterday I picked up another Tin Drum (yeah I know ... but I want to frame it!) and Gary Numan's Replicas - it wont play but I love the photography! Hee! Also Ultravox, OMD, Cocteau Twins, Bowie, DD, and George Harrison: Living in the Material World. And so cheap too! Practically giving them away! So don't worry Natasha I think your bank manger would approve if you switched from CD to Vinyl!!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Sep 14, 2008 4:24 pm

Problem is, my space travelling friend, that I would have BOTH CDs AND vinyl... :lol:
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:20 pm

what about the casettes?
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:03 am

i got rid of my cassettes of Tin Drum... lol wore it out. I kept the artwork insert though. I still have many cassettes from the 80s. Most are nearly worn out.

Do LPs go bad over time? I mean if they aren't warped and look to be practically brand new? I was playing one of the new LPs i got and it just didn't sound as good as some of my other LPs do :-(
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:48 pm

anortherncod wrote:Problem is, my space travelling friend, that I would have BOTH CDs AND vinyl... :lol:

Ahhh - I see your problem. Hmmm, just have to save those pennies a little harder! Yeah, like that's going to happen! What with music to purchase and concerts to go to ... it's just never ending!

godisinthesilences wrote:Do LPs go bad over time? I mean if they aren't warped and look to be practically brand new? I was playing one of the new LPs I got and it just didn't sound as good as some of my other LPs do

Well, I'm not 100% sure about this one Gods, because as I said before the Gary Numan 'Replicas' album I bought looks absolutely perfect, and yet it wont play at all. Nothing doing. Odd. Which one of your new purchases is proving less than adequate? Not the new DS 12"? :(
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Sep 15, 2008 4:14 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:goodness heart... did you make that up or quote it from someone??

Something I wrote and posted at another place.

I've never heard of an LP deteriorating or being unplayable when new, very odd. Well, except for one experience with the latter when I once bought an album, Led Zep's "Houses of the Holy", back when it first came out. Couldn't play it because it didn't have a hole, lol.

I've had many cassettes wear out, they get all swiss-cheesey (full of holes).
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:57 pm

yeah i got three 12 inches of david's work. The one i listened to and it sounded sort of muted was Silver Moon. I mean granted my record player isn't brandy new... lol in fact i got it years ago as a teenager for xmas. I rarely used the needle so i can't see that as being a problem... but perhaps. I have NO idea how to change needles or even if i'm able to on this unit.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Open Season