RCM?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby Astronaut on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:47 pm

Maria_Wikstrom wrote:I couldn't have said it better myself. The three first albums were the best.

WHAT? How anyone can think 7 & The Ragged Tiger is a great album I just do not know. It is truly AWFUL. Over produced and reeking of money and boredom. AWFUL. So awful in fact that Mr Rhodes himself cannot even bear to say its name and refers to it as "That unmentionable album" and other words to that effect ... But the first 2 albums? CLASS! Pure and simple!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:41 pm

hhmm well i like the album. Granted i prefer 1 and 2 more ... i have an appreciation of the different direction they tried on that one. But, honestly RCM should be the one they never EVER speak of again... and they should perhaps put pop trash in that grave as well....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Sep 19, 2008 3:55 am

And I thought that the one that no one remembers about was Liberty! :-D (which is one of my faves, btw).

This is just a matter of taste. I think that RCM has some very good moments and brilliant songs (Dirty Great Monster is very Notorious-era like and I love it!). Have to agree that Seven was overproduced and as a whole I probably rate it as the worst album. The singles and some songs were okay, but others are too weak (IMO all the time, of course). The band made a lot better things for Notorious than in that album.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Sep 19, 2008 11:20 am

i think notorious was probably musically a better album than 7.
I don't think much of anything made when warren was an official member of the band was good. He is just such a wack job and gave the band many an embarrassing moment. Plus ... Sorry I just don't care for his guitaring style. I prefer Andy's ... but I will say I think Dom Brown has a good ... rich dense style too.

Yup, in the end it is all personal taste. My personal taste is Liberty has some good moments (not great), Medazzaland is just bad, pop trash is the worst, and the wedding album has some nice moments (Ordinary world being the best song), and astronaut was a nice attempt... at the very least it was music instead of everything being programmed and over processed in a studio. Just my opinion...

I think perhaps I prefer the earlier attempts was because it was my first real favourite band and music. It has the nostalgic appeal to me... it has such good memories attached to it. This band was instrumental in introducing me to other musicians and musical styles to enjoy. It also introduced me to falling in love with the UK. I think that music really earmarks many important parts of our lives and it becomes the theme for an experience we went through. I think for most of us that is where our strong connection to music comes from... again it's just my opinion/feeling.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Sep 19, 2008 2:27 pm

Probably all albums have good and bad moments. I love Liberty but I'd erase Read my Lips from it if I could, LOL! :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Sun Sep 21, 2008 8:08 am

Astronaut wrote: WHAT? How anyone can think 7 & The Ragged Tiger is a great album I just do not know. It is truly AWFUL.

What!? I think it's a great album! I really like every song except New Moon On Monday and Union Of The Snake, but they are good too, but not as good as the other songs on the album like Tiger Tiger and The Reflex. But Seven And The Ragged Tiger is not as good as Duran Duran and Rio. But it's a really good album!
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby proggrl on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:00 pm

Astronaut wrote:
WHAT? How anyone can think 7 & The Ragged Tiger is a great album I just do not know. It is truly AWFUL. But the first 2 albums? CLASS! Pure and simple!

It has it's moments that haven't stood the test of time - AT ALL - but Tiger Tiger and Seventh Stranger alone make it a great album despite what else is on it - they're THAT good!!!!!

As for the 1st two albums... Completely agree! :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed Nov 05, 2008 12:20 am

I really like RCM...

*hides*

Minus Nite Runner- I never saw much appeal in that song (and why they chose it as a single is beyond my comprehension). My favorites are Box Full O' Honey and Dirty Great Monster. I may be biased, though, because this album was a gift from someone special. I guess it's my link to a happier time. That being said, I still like the music. Then again, I'm one of the weirdos who really enjoy Medazzaland and Pop Trash.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

RCM = Fail

Postby Smalldot on Sat Nov 22, 2008 12:33 am

My red flag was raised the moment I heard Timberlake and Timbaland mentioned in conjunction with RCM. I'm not a fan of either of the T's however; I do recognize that TImberlake has some talent in his field but that in no way means that he was a good fit with Duran. That being said, I listened to the previews of all the tracks and was very disappointed. I felt it was a very lack luster album. Duran's catalog is spotty for me. Their first 4 releases cannot be beat. I thought Notorious was a hit or miss album and The Wedding Album was only slightly better. The filler albums in between these two are really horrible and this is where I feel RCM falls in terms of quality (Big Thing probably being the absolute worst of the filler albums).

I really dug Astronaut but I felt that Simon's lyrics were a bit too open, simplistic, and at times trite. Call it musical snobbery, but I enjoyed Simon's lyrics better when you couldn't understand everything he was talking about unless you were reading the same books and watching the same films as he was. Stylistically, though, Astronaut was leaps and bounds over RCM.

I look forward to seeing what they do next though.
Smalldot
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Moonshadow on Fri Dec 26, 2008 1:08 pm

For me was a pretty nice record with a good sound and pretty intresting experimentation, maybe won't be a classic album any time soon, but it's not a bad record at all (like some ppl want us to believe)
Moonshadow
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: RCM?

Postby suzannahsylvian on Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:51 am

As a true and 'hardcore' "Duranie" I must say that RCM is an amazing album. I saw them tour aswell which was also the best day of my life. Anyway, back to the album. I beleive that it was everything it should have been. The music is fresh and totally different to anything they've ever done. I think it was a huge success for Duran fans as most Duran fans I know have put this album into their top 5 favourite. As I have too. The best songs on the album in my opinion are: Tempted, RCM, Skin Divers and The Valley. What I love about Duran Duran is almost every album they release is different from the last but they can pull it off so well. They don't need to stick to one sound and they can continute to make amazing music for the World to listen to, without them dying of boredom. x
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nath on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:44 am

I think I must be the only one who couldn't stand this album...
Except "the valley" live which is great...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:54 am

Nath wrote:I think I must be the only one who couldn't stand this album...
Except "the valley" live which is great...

Nath

Yeah! I didn't think I was going to like it when I found out Justin Timberlake and Timberland we're going to be on the album. But in the end, I actually came to find it a real good album :)
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

whilst they have released some sensational singles duran duran have always been hit or miss when it comes to their albums. BUT on every okay-ish album a fabby song can be found. If I was to pick a song from every album I love the list would look like this -

Anyone Out There?
Last Chance On The stairway
The Seventh Stranger
Proposition
all she wants is
serious
sin of the city
drive by
out of my mind
last day on earth
finest hour
falling down
Last edited by Simonp on Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby suzannahsylvian on Tue Apr 21, 2009 12:07 pm

Simonp wrote:

Anyone Out There?
Last Chance On The stairway
The Seventh Stranger
Proposition
all she wants is