RCM?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

RCM?

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:51 am

I would love to know! What did you think of their newest Duran Duran album RCM?
I'm so not a fan of Timbaland and Timberlake, they didn't help Duran, they did the opposite I think.
Great that they went on tour but such a shame that I wasn't able to see them in Denmark, the closest country to Sweden they went, cause I was in Tokyo. Hope they will do more shows...
Did anyone of you have the luck to see them on their tour and how was it? :)
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:22 am

While in the beginning I was scared of what they could do with T&T, I was quite pleased with the results seeing that still sounded Duran anyway. I can't believe though that the discarded song on the album, Cry baby cry, is one of my faves!

I saw them on 3 of the UK gigs and I was quite impressed. To be true, I think they were brave starting the show with 3 new songs and I am one of those tired of hearing the same set list with all the old hits. But the combination wasn't bad this time, the Electro Set was a nice change. I would have just changed a bit the set from one gig to another, because they made exactly THE SAME in every European concert.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:06 pm

They do perform great live... I would have enjoyed seeing them this time around. They decided to do a very small and extremely expensive U.S. tour. Just didn't seem worth it to me at this point.

Personally... RCM is one of the worst pieces of work they have ever done. It strayed entirely away from what I think of as great duran music. As they have gotten older it just seems simon's lyrics on a majority of the music is no where near as strong as time's past. Musically I think Dom Brown is a great guitarist and much closer to what true duran sound should be. However, I have to agree using timberland and timberlake was just stupid. They tried to cash in on that style of music and it turned around and bit them in the a**. Personally, I think they tried too hard... they took too long to produce the album ... they tried to play to such a young market that they alienated a good chunk of their fan base. I got the impression that after their very very successful reunion tour their egos began to run rampant again, creating the urge to be greedy. I feel RCM was a greed based attempt brought forth by this need to sell a zillion and one cds. To be the heart throbs they were in the 80s. Sorry that time passed and all us teeny boppers grew up into smart savvy adults who know exactly what they will spend their money on. Ok sorry for the tirade but i was soooooo disappointed in this cd. It was a complete and utter waste of my money to buy and time to listen to.

And, p.s. if you don't think the guys are disappointed in the results think again. I've heard both Nick and John comment on their disappointment in the results. Nick even stated it really was the wrong way to go with the music.

Hopefully on their next attempt they will just feel the music and go with that .... strip it down and let their personalities come through like they used to.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:25 pm

Good post Gods. I do think the album has a couple good points, like Cry Baby Cry, but all in all I wish they had stuck to the original plans before Andy's departure. Perhaps now they understand how he felt, and they will get back to the task of writing Duran-worthy material again.

By the way I now have the Andy Taylor book, Won't spoil things for those who don't have yet, but I can say that it is nice to have his perspective on everything. He really is a class guy in many ways, but for sure, not without his own faults, as everyone has.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:22 am

Not my favourite Cd from D2, I must admit. I have recently found myself listening to Medazzaland again, - it was a great CD, one that didn't get much credit at the time.

The AT book has caused a right noise on some boards, - heck, I don't worry too much. As with all artists I listen to, it is how I feel towards the music that counts, - rather than what happened within the band.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:07 am

krausy wrote:Good post Gods. I do think the album has a couple good points, like Cry Baby Cry, but all in all I wish they had stuck to the original plans before Andy's departure. Perhaps now they understand how he felt, and they will get back to the task of writing Duran-worthy material again.

By the way I now have the Andy Taylor book, Won't spoil things for those who don't have yet, but I can say that it is nice to have his perspective on everything. He really is a class guy in many ways, but for sure, not without his own faults, as everyone has.

Thanks for not spoiling it for me. Andy is my fav. dd member and I just haven't had the money to purchase his book yet. Next paycheck that is first on my list :-) I do look forward to getting his perspective :-) Think he's doing a booksigning in NYC this coming week.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: RCM?

Postby JoyceHK on Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:15 pm

I watched it in HK, it rained that night but didn't ruin the people's mood at all. DD's performance is great to me and I enjoyed it very much. :)
JoyceHK
Noob
Noob

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 14, 2008 2:53 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:They do perform great live... I would have enjoyed seeing them this time around. They decided to do a very small and extremely expensive U.S. tour. Just didn't seem worth it to me at this point.

Same thing here. Would love to have gone but with so few dates to choose from and other things going on at the time it just wasn't poss this time around

Personally... RCM is one of the worst pieces of work they have ever done. It strayed entirely away from what I think of as great duran music. As they have gotten older it just seems simon's lyrics on a majority of the music is no where near as strong as time's past.

SLB's lyrics have always been a bit obscure to say the least but that, gave them their charm and strength. Lately his lyrics have become too passe, too innane to be listened to with any degree of seriousness and I know for a fact that he and Nick Rhodes have had huge arguments in the studio about the quality of the lyrics with Simon saying basically: "If you can do better then get on with it ..."

... they tried to play to such a young market that they alienated a good chunk of their fan base. I got the impression that after their very very successful reunion tour their egos began to run rampant again, creating the urge to be greedy. I feel RCM was a greed based attempt brought forth by this need to sell a zillion and one cds. To be the heart throbs they were in the 80s. Sorry that time passed and all us teeny boppers grew up into smart savvy adults who know exactly what they will spend their money on.

Agree up to a point with this - do you not think their new record company deal might have something to do with that? After all they almost had to sell their souls to get another deal after the last big label dropped them like a hot potato after the uninspiring sales figures brought in by Pop Trash. They were so skint during that tour they couldn't afford to produce proper merchandise.

And, p.s. if you don't think the guys are disappointed in the results think again. I've heard both Nick and John comment on their disappointment in the results. Nick even stated it really was the wrong way to go with the music.

This looks a bit odd - but hey - I think it's comprehensible ... :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:11 am

here is what I don't get... if they want to make music so badly... DD i mean then why not start their own record label and create the music they are inspired to not what a big label pigeon holes them into? David (do to having a strong supporter in Virgin) was able to make the kind of music he wanted to on the whole. But, DD have always seemed to sort of play to what is "in" at the time (except when they started out). To this day I think lyrically and musically their first 3 albums were their most strong. Notorious and Big Thing had some redeeming features. I just think after that they really and truly "lost the plot".

I agree Simon's lyrics have become passe. The obscurity of his lyrics in days past was what was so interesting about them. Honestly, isn't there enough junk out there about red carpet nonsense and paparazzi? Who cares???? It is all just such a huge waste of time. No one seems to care about quality anymore... Hhhmmm I'm personally on the keel that people mostly just don't have allow any sort of depth of themselves come out. Everything is just material and surface, surface, surface....
Heck even Post Modern art seems to deal with this... I can't even tell you how students anymore don't want to work for anything. They want instant gratification. Just because we can have it right now... should we????

Ok sorry for the tangent... just needed to get that out....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MrNormall on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:46 pm

'Red Carpt Massacre' is the best Duran Duran album since 'Rio'. There's no bad track on it and I especially like 'The Valley', one the best Duran Duran tracks ever.

I didn't like 'Astronaut' much.
MrNormall
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Mon Sep 15, 2008 12:48 pm

RCM is a great pop album, no more no less.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Sep 15, 2008 2:29 pm

MrNormall wrote:'Red Carpt Massacre' is the best Duran Duran album since 'Rio'. There's no bad track on it and I especially like 'The Valley', one the best Duran Duran tracks ever.

EXCUSE ME!!! What an insult! And we haven't even been introduced!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ha-ha!!!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 15, 2008 5:59 pm

Astronaut wrote:
MrNormall wrote:'Red Carpt Massacre' is the best Duran Duran album since 'Rio'. There's no bad track on it and I especially like 'The Valley', one the best Duran Duran tracks ever.

EXCUSE ME!!! What an insult! And we haven't even been introduced!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ha-ha!!!

I'm with Astronaut on this one... LOL... you GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!?! Even the guys are disappointed with this album LOL.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MrNormall on Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:37 pm

But I wasn't. I was dissapointed wit 'Astronaut' (the album :wink:).

No kidding, really.
MrNormall
Regular
Regular

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:02 am

godisinthesilences wrote:here is what I don't get... if they want to make music so badly... DD i mean then why not start their own record label and create the music they are inspired to not what a big label pigeon holes them into? David (do to having a strong supporter in Virgin) was able to make the kind of music he wanted to on the whole. But, DD have always seemed to sort of play to what is "in" at the time (except when they started out). To this day I think lyrically and musically their first 3 albums were their most strong. Notorious and Big Thing had some redeeming features. I just think after that they really and truly "lost the plot".

I couldn't have said it better myself. The three first albums were the best.
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Open Season