Happy Birthdays

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:52 am

kinki wrote:
Poisoned_Apathy wrote:
mmm I can't chose between those two...Both are too sexy!! :lol:

Who, Nick and John, or John and Mick? Hehe..

:lol: I actually was talking about John and Mick. But I have to admit that Nicky is my guy!!! :P

And about Nick's photography. I've only see I few examples , but I agree with gods. His work is very..."visual". I mean it's pure stetic beauty. He doesn't seem to have the intention of reflecting any emotions or feelings in there.
Maybe it's very post modern but i think is as valid as another vision of Beauty.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 22, 2006 12:38 pm

knowing nick's keen sense of beauty i wouldn't necessarily say its beauty in the typical sense. His view is definately a post modern aesthetic... breaking down the beauty until it isn't something predictable or as i said before typical. So in that sense its beautiful.... it reminds me of free form music.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Jun 22, 2006 5:44 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:knowing nick's keen sense of beauty i wouldn't necessarily say its beauty in the typical sense. His view is definately a post modern aesthetic... breaking down the beauty until it isn't something predictable or as i said before typical. So in that sense its beautiful.... it reminds me of free form music.

Of course. I didn't say it was typical. I think it's not. But it's true it's something very intellectual but at the time is very visual. I mean , I think many people could enjoy it visually without the need of understand it.
For example, sincerely, I don't think that 80% of people who owns a Kandinsky really understand all the things that are inside of it, but they can appreciate its beauty in some way. I don't think it's the same with David's work.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 22, 2006 7:20 pm

totally agree with you poison.... :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 pm

Hope you don't mind it, but I love to talk with you about these things. I feel like we have the same concept of beauty or , at least, very similar :D

I just hope the rest of the members on this forum don't get too much bored when reading it... :wink: :lol:
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:08 pm

Yes, PLEASE stop talking such pretentious arty farty rubbish. :wink: :roll:

KIDDING!!!! I love having conversations about beauty and reading about others' concepts of it....I dont have enough of them with my friends. Maybe I need to change my friends. :D We all seem to be on the same wavelength here though, which is great.

Talking of which.....what exactly does 'post-modern' mean....as in

godisinthesilences wrote:His view is definately a post modern aesthetic... breaking down the beauty until it isn't something predictable or as i said before typical. So in that sense its beautiful.... it reminds me of free form music.

'Post-modern' is one of those phrases which you hear but never quite know what it means.....

And Poison, what you mean here?
Poisoned_Apathy wrote:I don't think that 80% of people who owns a Kandinsky really understand all the things that are inside of it, but they can appreciate its beauty in some way. I don't think it's the same with David's work.
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Jun 23, 2006 6:46 pm

I mean that I don't think that most of people could find the beauty in one of his cable pictures, for example, without understand what is behind it. Most of david's pictures require a reflection on them to really appreciate what is he trying to express or ,at least, to reach a conclusion , even when it's got nothing to do with David's first intention.

It's different with other artists, specially the abstract ones , because with some of them you can enjoy aesthetically their works without having the need of thinking about their meaning.
Last edited by Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 24, 2006 12:30 am

well in the art criticism sense of meaning "post modern" is a period of art history which comes after modernism (a modernist artist would be for example Paul Klee and Piet Mondrion). Things that fall into the post modern category would be for example.... the vietnam war memorial, yoko ono's "happenings" from the late 60s, the works of barbara kruger which incorporates and utilizes a concept called "appropriation", and in my personal opinion I would stick DuChamp's signed toilet in there. The list is rather endless really....

Definition from dictionary "Postmodernism may appear as the ultimate phase of modernism; it expresses what may happen in art after the modernist project appears to have ended. It is characterised by an ability to use a vocabulary of media, genres or styles as parts of an extended visual language that goes beyond the boundaries of what is usually thought of as the modernist project. Postmodernism is, by its very nature, impossible to define clearly..."

Definition of "modern art: art created from the 19th cent. to the mid-20th cent. by artists who veered away from the traditional concepts and techniques of painting, sculpture, and other fine arts that had been practiced since the Renaissance. Nearly every phase of modern art was initially greeted by the public with ridicule, but as the shock wore off, the various movements settled into history, influencing and inspiring new generations of artists."

So after that convuluted explanation most people in the art world consider the idea it's "been done before" as the catch phrase to the post modern period.

Now, if that sounds boring to you try staying awake in a lecture hall lit solely by a humming slide projector while an eager professor prattles on about the stuff your looking at and thinking "what is this sh*t?!"
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sat Jun 24, 2006 5:57 am

I've carried on from Poison's points about David's photography in the photography thread in the DS section...

----------------

So basically 'post-modernism' is a bit of a catch all for everything that came after the mid 20th century?
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 7:36 am

godisinthesilences wrote:Now, if that sounds boring to you try staying awake in a lecture hall lit solely by a humming slide projector while an eager professor prattles on about the stuff your looking at and thinking "what is this sh*t?!"

:lol: :lol: I know waht is that...last year, every thursday and saturday at 8:30 am!!!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:53 am

yes basically post modern art is a catch all.... some of it really amazing and wonderful, but to be honest i think most of it is crap !!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:29 am

:lol:

Totaly agree.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Jun 24, 2006 11:09 am

HA HA!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sun Jun 25, 2006 5:43 pm

Whenever I hear the phrase 'Post Modern' I associate it with 'disappearing up ones own butt'. I mean Im sure there are good examples of 'post modern art' but it seems to be a bandwagon for a lot of mediocre 'artists' who like to think they are maybe better than they actually are.

:lol:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 25, 2006 8:27 pm

i do think in many facets "post modern" art is abit about disappearing up one's own butt, but I have also seen many tremendous ideas come out of it. Now, having said that the idea may have brilliancy that doesn't mean what is rendered is anything but crap. So, in that avenue I agree with you Kinki.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season