Eerily appropriate lyrics

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Eerily appropriate lyrics

Postby Melaszka on Thu Aug 14, 2008 3:30 am

It's probably just me, but one of my odd obsessive ideas about life is that songs that on the surface seem to be about romantic/sexual relationships are often eerily appropriate to the relationship between the band themselves.

For example, in Japan's "Some Kind of Fool" (although I'm sure he didn't write it about the band) the line "All the things we say, apportioning blame, are untrue" seems scarily prescient of the ZigZag interview era.

Is this just me being odd or does anyone else have any examples (Japan-based or otherwise) of apparent "love" songs that could be about band relationships?
"Never underestimate the potency of cheap music" - Noel Coward
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sun Sep 21, 2008 5:58 pm

Well, this isn't quite the same thing at all, but it has crossed my mind on more than one occasion. I think it a bit weird that Bjorn Ulvaeus got his ex-wife or very-soon-to-be-ex-wife to sing so many hurtful, heart rending lyrics on the last 2 ABBA albums (yes, that's right, I said ABBA - get over it). For Example: One of Us - he wrote it but it's obviously about the wife's point of view. Winner Takes it All and The Day Before You Came. Could you imagine if all songwriters did this? What would David have made Ingrid sing for example? However, I'm pretty glad he didn't take this approach!!!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Sep 22, 2008 7:31 am

Mel... hhmm i never equated it with the band. I do sort of see it more as a broad stroke of how all of us tend to treat each other miserably. (face it people suck *ss on the whole [yes i know this is an attitude i'm trying to get out of but very difficult seeing how i have to leave my house on a daily basis]).

Astronaut... I LOVE ABBA!!!! I shout it from the rooftops I LLLLOOOOVVVVVEEEEE AAAABBBBBBBBBBBBBBAAAAAAAAA! Ok, now that that is taken care of. That is the most interesting thought .... what would David have gotten Ingrid to say??? "I'm a lieing cheating piece of crap" perhaps? LOL Who knows, but isn't speculation a wonderful thing :-).....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season