Ambient/Experimental Music

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Ambient/Experimental Music

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:50 pm

Anyone listen to ambient/experimental music? Obviously, Sylvian has produced some, along w Eno, Budd, Bill Nelson...etc. But, how bout the more underground stuff? Artists like:
:zoviet-france:
Hafler Trio
bernhard gunter
Morphogenesis
Oval

Just curious...
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:36 pm

nope not heard of them.... wondered in a post a bit back if anyone listened to Loscil or Tim Hecker???
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Jul 30, 2008 5:31 pm

I've heard Oval on a sampler. I like a lot of ambient/experimental music but I'm not sure how to classify things beyond that; don't know what would be considered underground or not.

Some artists I like are Dead Voices on Air, Pan Sonic, Susumu Yokota, Autechre, Vidna Obmana, Raison D'Etre, Nurse With Wound, Steve Roach, Neu - varies all over the place, I guess. I also like some of the early Mortiis stuff. I think my tastes run to the more conservative side. :oops:
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jul 30, 2008 6:25 pm

heartofdavid wrote:I've heard Oval on a sampler. I like a lot of ambient/experimental music but I'm not sure how to classify things beyond that; don't know what would be considered underground or not.

Some artists I like are Dead Voices on Air, Pan Sonic, Susumu Yokota, Autechre, Vidna Obmana, Raison D'Etre, Nurse With Wound, Steve Roach, Neu - varies all over the place, I guess. I also like some of the early Mortiis stuff. I think my tastes run to the more conservative side. :oops:

The guy from Dead Voices on Air, Mark Spybey actually used to be a member of :zoviet-france: If you like his stuff, I think you would really like zf. if you can find a place to hear them, check out "Shouting at the Ground", "Just an Illusion", "Look Into Me", and "Lohland".
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:25 pm

Tin Bird wrote:If you like his stuff, I think you would really like zf. if you can find a place to hear them, check out "Shouting at the Ground", "Just an Illusion", "Look Into Me", and "Lohland".

I know I have something by them on a compilation called "Isolationism", would have to listen to it because I can't recall how they sound off the top of my head.

Another artist I like is Shinjuku Thief, have two old albums by them (The Witch Hammer and The Witch Hunter) - use a lot of samples, they're almost like film soundtracks.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:48 pm

One of my favorites is Steven Wilson's 'Bass Communion' ... If you like PT's ambient moments, you'd like this project!

Also, Orphidice! (myspace.com/orphidice) The first album is very ambient, the next one will be a bit different! Great stuff!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Adrian on Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:00 am

Bernhard Günter for sure!
also Francisco Lopez is worth mentioning. Bass Communion was already mentioned, and if you like that check out Murcof and Deathprod as well. And I would also like to add Fear Falls Burning. Oh, and so many others really... Sylvian is just the poppy tip of the iceberg for me... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:36 am

Silver Moon wrote:One of my favorites is Steven Wilson's 'Bass Communion' ... If you like PT's ambient moments, you'd like this project!

Also, Orphidice! (myspace.com/orphidice) The first album is very ambient, the next one will be a bit different! Great stuff!

-K-

Haven't heard either of them...will have to check them out. thanks! :-)
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 31, 2008 7:54 am

heartofdavid wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:If you like his stuff, I think you would really like zf. if you can find a place to hear them, check out "Shouting at the Ground", "Just an Illusion", "Look Into Me", and "Lohland".

I know I have something by them on a compilation called "Isolationism", would have to listen to it because I can't recall how they sound off the top of my head.

Another artist I like is Shinjuku Thief, have two old albums by them (The Witch Hammer and The Witch Hunter) - use a lot of samples, they're almost like film soundtracks.

The :zoviet-france: track on "Isolationanism" is called "Daisy Gun". It's OK, but not overly representative of their work...they released over 20 albums. Most of it between 1985 and 1992. "Daisy Gun" was recorded I believe in 91, so it was pretty late. Their later stuff became slightly more electronic sounding than their mid-period work. Many of my friends have commented that they thought zf music sounds like soundtrack music. I think the key word here is "sound". Many of these artists in some ways are making sound paintings and not worrying about whether it's actually "music" or not...
bernhard gunter's work is somewhat like an ambient Mark Hollis record...not that it sounds at all like Holllis, but gunter definatley shares Hollis' love for silence...literally. In fact, gunter's work is infused with large moments of silence...for beginners, I recommend "Brown, Blue, Brown on Blue (for Mark Rothko)"...just a stunning work.
Last edited by Tin Bird on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Thu Jul 31, 2008 1:42 pm

Tin Bird wrote:The :zoviet-france: track on "Isolationanism" is called "Daisy Gun". It's OK, but not overly representative of their work...they released over 20 albums. Most of it between 1985 and 1992. "Daisy Gun" was recorded I believe in 91, so it was pretty late. Their later stuff became slightly more electronic sounding than their mid-period work. Many of my friends have commented that they thought zf music sounds like soundtrack music. I think the key word hear is "sound". Many of these artists in some ways are making sound paintings and not worrying about whether it's actually "music" or not...

I listened to it and liked it - it sounds like two separate pieces combined - there is a pause (silence) around the three minute mark and then it goes into...droning style, which I think works really well on the treated voice that comes in a little later. Yes, it has a soundtrack quality to me, which I enjoy. I like sounds that paint a mood - don't have to be overtly and obviously musical to appeal, although I like that as well. On some level it has to appeal to me emotionally (induce a feeling) - some of this kind of music does and others don't - I either like it or loathe it, never a middle ground.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Aug 02, 2008 8:34 am

heartofdavid wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:The :zoviet-france: track on "Isolationanism" is called "Daisy Gun". It's OK, but not overly representative of their work...they released over 20 albums. Most of it between 1985 and 1992. "Daisy Gun" was recorded I believe in 91, so it was pretty late. Their later stuff became slightly more electronic sounding than their mid-period work. Many of my friends have commented that they thought zf music sounds like soundtrack music. I think the key word hear is "sound". Many of these artists in some ways are making sound paintings and not worrying about whether it's actually "music" or not...

I listened to it and liked it - it sounds like two separate pieces combined - there is a pause (silence) around the three minute mark and then it goes into...droning style, which I think works really well on the treated voice that comes in a little later. Yes, it has a soundtrack quality to me, which I enjoy. I like sounds that paint a mood - don't have to be overtly and obviously musical to appeal, although I like that as well. On some level it has to appeal to me emotionally (induce a feeling) - some of this kind of music does and others don't - I either like it or loathe it, never a middle ground.

I think that's a fair way to describe it for me too. There are a LOT of artists working in this genre now. :zoviet-france: was one of the first and for me the best. They somehow manage to generate an emotional connection with me by just using sound. amazing!
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Open Season