Help! Scared of trying new music

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Help! Scared of trying new music

Postby Melaszka on Mon Jun 30, 2008 4:26 am

I think this is going to be quite a long post, so if that's not your thing, please do not bother posting bitchy comments saying "I never bother reading posts of more than a couple of paragraphs", just don't read it, OK?

I've recently started to feel quite ashamed of the breadth of my musical ignorance (particularly where post-1990 stuff is concerned). It's got to the stage where I hear myself saying "The Arctic who?" or just staring blankly when people mention bands everyone's heard of, and I realise I need help.

I don't remember ever making a conscious decision to stop listening to new stuff, but after leaving university I did seem to get so busy with travelling and work that I stopped listening to the radio/reading music papers/at all remotely following what was going on musically. I've just clung to a handful of artists that I loved in the 80s and periodically updated myself on what they and/or their collaboratirs are doing now (and even then I've been shocked by how much I've missed in the interim).

I know I should start listening to the radio/watching Later/exploring MySpace more. I've realised, though, that I am actually quite scared. There's just so much stuff out there and I have very limited time and money to spend on music. I don't want to turn into one of those music buffs who spends 90% of their take-home pay on CDs and ends up with a house full of records they have never even had time to take out of the sleeve.

I'm also scared that I have invested so much emotional energy in the artists I do follow and they've become so much part of my identity that it would be terrible if I suddenly discovered there are about fifty bands out there that I like better than them. It would literally be like losing my religion or realising that I no longer loved a spouse of twenty years. I really don't think it would happen (I haven't lived in a total bubble - I do hear music in shops/round friends' houses/on the telly and nothing's ever touched me like David or my other favourite artists) but it is a real fear.

Does anyone else know what I mean or am I just burbling on incomprehensibly? And does anyone have any suggestions of things to lsiten to or other ways I can expand my musical horizons?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:31 am

I do know what you mean, Mel. I'm in a bit of a similar position myself by playing catch-up recently, so nine times out of ten what I listen to is Japan-related.

Usually I drive to work listening to a CD and if it's finished by the time I arrive I listen to Radio 1 on the way back; and I really don't hear anything that jumps out at me. But then, is that any wonder...?

Did you ever get around to trying out any PT btw...? And do I sound like a stuck record now...? :wink: :lol:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Slope on Mon Jun 30, 2008 10:47 am

Interesting post! IMHO, I don't think there's any disadvantage (and certainly no shame) in having established tastes. I tend to find that if my favourite artists are still active (and many aren't), it's interesting to watch them develop and mature - David being a prime example - but often, there is a great comfort in the familiarity of delving back through an artists back catalogue. Its age does not diminish its importance.

I'm sure it's healthy to research new acts, but it's far from essential. At the end of the day, not everything needs to be new nor does it need to push the envelope of what has come before - although there certainly is a place for musicians and artists who do that - enjoyment is the primary factor IMHO.
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby E.T. on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:00 am

new musicians become younger than me, and in many cases, I'm not interested in their statements anymore.
and I don't have enough time to listen to music.
luckily I found good bands, so I listen to them.

I started to play piano, from this year, I play Debussy and Erik satie.
I was surprised and happy because my favorite artists liked them.
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:23 am

oh i have the same problem, but i sort of decided it isn't a problem. i am 30 with the music taste of a middle aged man, and it is nothing wrong with it. 10 years ago i knew all about what was cool or not, but somewhere along the line i just lost interest. i do listen to some new artists, the national have recently tortured my neighbours, but i enjoy more to discover artists with a fairly long career, like sylvian.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Mon Jun 30, 2008 11:38 am

Understand totally, Melaszka!

I too lost touch with some music, especially in the 90's. I am only now getting into some of them. I am also branching out on the 80's bands/artists that I may have missed the first time around.

One does get very focused on a handful of bands and one tends to unintentionally shut out other bands in the process, either due to attention or time or money deficits.

Some mediums that have helped me in recent years is all the internet radio stations that have introduced me to lots of different music and artists. Itunes is an excellent source as well. I also have satellite radio in my car and house and have made many discoveries there. MySpace is great too, in that artists can create their own page and in many cases contact you directly about listening to their work.

Don't ever feel like you are abandoning or betraying an old favorite. In many cases you can discover that other bands or artists are influenced by the very bands you have been listening to all these years. I find that to be true more often than not.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jun 30, 2008 1:43 pm

No one is going to insult your long post, Mel!

I understand what you mean... For me I just don't want to really listen to what the kid's are liking now... Whenever I have listened to someone inspired by one of my favorite bands I am often (not always) dissapointed because they never capture me the way the original did. I guess I have just gotten super picky. Matt has helped me, though, and has turned me onto quite a few new bands. Even then I can still be picky!

Right now I'm just letting the new music come to me, and sometimes I like what I hear! I hate to admit I haven't really been looking for it, but right now I'm fine with my old favorites.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 pm

that is why music is so great... it is like having a favourite period during an art scene. We are attracted to what we are attracted to. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not going out and actively hunting down new artists. I have to admit I too am mostly not impressed with younger artists because much of what i hear is a rehashing of older styles and th e older styles were better (in my opinion). If something great finds me I'll give it a go, but I often don't like some of the newer works i've heard.
So there is really nothing wrong with not keeping up.... I don't let it bother me... even when i have students talking to me about new music they are into. LOL I don't have time in my life to worry about it.... :-)

I like what I like and don't worry about other things.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Jun 30, 2008 3:03 pm

Wow! Many, many thanks to all of you for your friendly and thoughtful posts - keep them coming. I am so, so glad it's not just me.

anortherncod wrote:Did you ever get around to trying out any PT btw...? And do I sound like a stuck record now...? :wink: :lol:

Natasha

I haven't forgotten! I'm going to order some PT from the library right now. Unfortunately, I couldn't listen to music at all while I was doing all that marking (which I finally finished last Tuesday, btw, hoorah! Only ten days late) and once I'd finished I felt I had to flog my money's worth out of the TGU CD I already had out, having by that stage run up enough renewal fees on it to have bought the thing outright.

Posted by Slope
IMHO, I don't think there's any disadvantage (and certainly no shame) in having established tastes. I tend to find that if my favourite artists are still active (and many aren't), it's interesting to watch them develop and mature - David being a prime example - but often, there is a great comfort in the familiarity of delving back through an artists back catalogue. Its age does not diminish its importance.

Indeed! David continues to surprise, challenge and delight me with his new work, but age cannot wither hsi back catalogue, nor custom stale its infinite variety.

I'm sure it's healthy to research new acts, but it's far from essential. At the end of the day, not everything needs to be new nor does it need to push the envelope of what has come before - although there certainly is a place for musicians and artists who do that - enjoyment is the primary factor IMHO.

Yes, you're absolutely right - it's pointless being innovative or trendy for its own sake. I count myself very, very lucky to have found artists who do "push the envelope" but still remain true to their passion.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sorrowbox on Mon Jun 30, 2008 5:26 pm

What an interesting thread! I don't mind long posts, by the way, and like the other commenters I don't think one should apologize for them (or get complaints... like you said, skipping them or hitting the back button in your browser shouldn't be that hard).

godisinthesilences wrote:it is like having a favourite period during an art scene. We are attracted to what we are attracted to.

I loved this -- music period/art period! Yes, there are certain styles we're attracted to, and we can't help it. No matter what I do, I seem to be stuck in the 80s either by slowly completing my favourite artists' back catalogue (well, I try) or being drawn to artists that are clearly influenced by that era. For example, I discovered a French artist this year who is doing electro-pop/guitar music but is also audibly inspired by Joy Division. Other new bands I liked published their works in 2004-2007, but definitely sound like they were made in the 80s (it's mostly minimal electro / minimal wave, which has its own rules and conventions when it comes to the instruments you use, certain themes, et cetera).

So, in a way I've made peace with the thought that I won't really discover something "new" or completely different, but I'm not sure I'd really want to, anyway. *g*

However, I certainly wouldn't have found anything noteworthy if I didn't have the internet, as the regular radio or TV programmes don't offer much to my liking. I quite liked the Recommendations and Similar Artists features on last.fm, which gave me surprisingly good results, at least during the first weeks when still I used them a lot.
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:10 pm

Hi Sorrowbox! :-) Just wanted to say welcome since I missed when you joined :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sorrowbox on Tue Jul 01, 2008 5:21 am

Aw, thank you very much! :-) (I did make an intro post, but that was months ago...)
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby Waves on Tue Jul 01, 2008 9:23 am

Agree with Slope, enjoyment is the most important, to get/keep you in a good mood or to learn something.
My old music is hardly getting played, since I'm listening a lot to David's music and his collaboration artists (feels like there is so much to discover in all his songs.) After reading some post on this forum I even remembered I had more old CD's than I knew. Think about getting rid of half of it.
And what I experienced recently is that I never liked for example Jimmy Hendrix/Led Zeppelin, but since my son is playing guitar, I'm feeling the need of giving some songs a really good listen and liking some (still not really in love). Never ever thought that would happen. Music sometimes just comes to you, but then there so much to choose from.
Waves
Regular
Regular

Re: Help! Scared of trying new music

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed Jul 23, 2008 1:28 am

Melaszka wrote:I'm also scared that I have invested so much emotional energy in the artists I do follow and they've become so much part of my identity that it would be terrible if I suddenly discovered there are about fifty bands out there that I like better than them.

I lived with this same fear for quite some time. I've identified myself with the '80s/new wave/new romantic/post-punk and whatever else for so long and even though I was (and am) very keen on discovering similar artists, I didn't want to branch out because I thought I would somehow lose my musical identity. I guess that sounds odd but I don't really know how else to put it. I sort of felt like I'd be selling out, too. I felt as though I projected a certain image to people and I had to keep up with it or else be perceived as a fake. I often proclaimed my distaste for new music and I didn't want to be thought of as a hypocrite.

In any case, though, I ended up experiencing a series of big life-changes almost a year ago. Received my first post-secondary degree, started a rather stressful job, moved away... and I essentially had a new core group of friends. It was a lot of new things, and along came the new music. My friends highly influenced me- they listen(ed) to a lot of artists I refused to consider before. It was just one of those things where I was like, "hey, my friends are fairly intelligent and they must listen to this music for a good reason." That, and we're all musicians, and I believe that one tends to hear music in a different light once you've seriously played an instrument, taken theory, etc.

I didn't regularly listen to my favorites (Japan, Sylvian, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, and many others) for six months or so. I mean, I'd throw on the occasional CD in the car on the way to work, but I didn't really listen and pay attention to it they way I used to. I widened my music library by a lot (I want to say it almost tripled). I discovered a ton of music that I really liked, but I can honestly say that almost none of it affected me the way my favorites did. And now, I listen to everything. It's a good place to be, I think.

Anyway, I don't feel like I lost my musical identity at all. My heart still belongs to the '80s. It's one of those things where the new makes me appreciate the old even more. I also don't feel so, eh, not with "it" when I'm talking to others about music. I like having broad musical knowledge. And it's like krausy said- you often find that today's artists are greatly inspired by your old favorites, which is definitely not a bad thing.

Dear God, I write too much. :?
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Help! Scared of trying new music

Postby Melaszka on Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:28 am

lastgoldstar wrote:Dear God, I write too much. :?

No, you don't at all. I found what you wrote really helpful. Thank you.

When I think about it, my analogy of a relationship with your favourite musician as a "marriage" was fundamentally flawed, anyway, as I've been committing "bigamy" with David Sylvian and Tim Whelan of Furniture for about 20 years! My love for Tim has in no way diminished my love for David and vice versa, so I'm being silly worrying about letting other artists into the mix.

You're right - friends can be a great source of new stuff and taking a break from your favourite artists for a few months can actually enrich your relationship with them.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season