Randomness

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Randomness

Postby anortherncod on Sun May 04, 2008 3:57 pm

Well, it's five to ten on Sunday night and my partner and I are working our way through a bottle of wine, and I'm wondering whether the newest registered member here, pradakid900, is a Porcupine Tree fan and whether he, or she, intends on burning his, or her, Prada trainers as detailed in the PT song Sleep Together. Now is this just me, or...?

Natasha, feeling terminally bored :D
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Mon May 05, 2008 7:32 am

LOL Natasha, I think you need to have another glass of wine!!

I've been craving cinnamon rolls all weekend and I finally got one here at work. Mmmmm.....

Speaking of PT - does this get to be like the Post Anything thread at PTF?

Happy Cinco de Mayo everyone!!!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon May 05, 2008 10:24 am

Hey proggrl, I think that's a good idea. It might help to have a thread where we can be a bit random - or, in my case, very random...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu May 08, 2008 8:00 am

oh i love randomness... this is good...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu May 08, 2008 9:26 am

OK, well, here's another random thought...

UK numberplates used to be in the style of A123 ABC.

Now they're in the style of AB12 ABC.

With the 'old' style, even though it wasn't obvious, there was a way of finding out where the car was first registered from the last three letters.

With the 'new' style, the first letter tells you where the car was registered. So are the last three now an extra clue...

or are they completely...

RANDOM??? :shock:

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat May 10, 2008 5:37 am

Natasha, girl, I worry about you sometimes! WTF??? :? What I'd like to know is this ... why do you even care about such things? :lol: :lol: :lol: xx
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat May 10, 2008 12:24 pm

It's not so much that I care but that things just occur to me sometimes...

RANDOMLY!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Randomness

Postby pradakid900 on Sun May 11, 2008 12:35 am

Hi kids, it's THE kid...Pradakid900, that is. So, you've been thinking about me, have you? Glad your head is in the right place. Well, I do have one pair of Prada trainers (tennis shoes to us) that I wonder why I ever bought, but I love all my other couple of dozen, and having them burned is a running joke of mine. I joke that if my apartment is ever on fire instead of "Save my baby!" or "Save my cat!" I'll be screaming "Save my couture!" Cuz after I go, believe me, they could make a museum exhibit out of my wardrobe.

I did enjoy P Tree for a while way back in the 1990s (can't believe I'm saying that - so freakin' old, esp. since today is my b-day, or the anniversary of it, rather). Anyway, loved Staircase Infinities, Up The Downstair and Sky Moves Sideways but after those, sadly, we sort of drifted apart.

So, let me know if any of you would like to hear my David/Prada stories. They are quite cute.

Thanks for thinking about me!

Curious about anything else?
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sun May 11, 2008 3:42 am

Well, hello and welcome!

Please do let us know your stories about David, Prada, or indeed anything else RANDOM! :D

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Sun May 11, 2008 10:07 am

Ya, i'd like to read anything related to David/Prada too!
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

David/Prada part 1

Postby pradakid900 on Sun May 11, 2008 11:10 am

Okay, way back in 2001 when David was on the E&N tour I traveled to England so that I could see him live for the very first time (also saw a performance by Talvin Singh and Craig Armstrong that week - was anyone else there?).

Naturally, I wanted to be well dressed, so being way more into Prada at the time I did schlep a good amount of it with me, so imagine my surprise when at the first of David's shows I attended he came out not only decked out in Prada, but wearing the exact same black, ponyhair fronted cardigan that I brought with me and planned on wearing that very night, but it was a tad warmer, so I chose some lighter Prada wear. The pants he wore are these awesome black techno gabardine stretch with little silver zippers at the ankle - the very ones I wanted, but being so short would have meant an alteration not permittable becasue of the zippers.

So, after the show (in Nottingham) I waited around with all the others in the back of the venue hoping to catch a glimpse of David. The gathering crowd was so excited when Steve was spotted just inside the back exit. So just when everyone's attention was on Steve, David slipped out another exit and dashed to the backseat of a waiting Mercedes. Just as I saw this everyone else did too and stormed the car.

I was thinking that I would never make it through the crowd over to David to get my programme signed before he drove away, but I decided to try, and I have no idea how it happened, but I effortlessly slipped right through the crowd and right up to the open window of the back seat where David was graciously signing whatever was put in front of him.

I couldn't believe I was mere inches away from THE man and was as high on the moment as I could have been. Anyway, after scribbling his name he held the other hand up to receive the next item to be autographed, and I placed my programme in it, and as he signed we had our first words.

Being all a flutter I had no idea what to say though I had thought about it a million times before. Finally, some words came to me, and I said to David, "I love your Prada ponyhair cardigan; I have the same one and almost wore it tonight." He looked at me a little surprized that I knew, smiling and laughed saying, "Really?" We both spoke of how we liked Prada very much. In the next moment he bidded me farewell and the window began going up, then the car backed out and drove away,

What a surreal moment that was, and an honest connection we had made, becasue the next time I would meet him he would remember me, but that's another David/Prada story.
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sun May 11, 2008 11:15 am

This is a great story, Pradakid...

but...

you have done what we call over here 'dropped half a brick'.

By that I mean that you have given a hint about the NEXT time you met David!

Do tell...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Meyrav on Mon May 12, 2008 8:05 am

Hahaha!! That's awesome!
I'd really like to know about your next meeting!
Meyrav
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon May 12, 2008 2:40 pm

Far, far less excitingly, but equally randomly, I remembered today that, as a teenager, I used to think it was a truth universally acknowledged that all second albums are rubbish (perhaps because artists used up all their best material on their first album and then were pressed into releasing a follow-up by their label before they'd had time to come up with anything good)

However, I can't work out now why I thought that - most of the bands I like released great 2nd albums (or at least no worse than their first albums).

Anyone got any thoughts or examples?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon May 12, 2008 2:47 pm

Ah, the 'difficult second album'. I think it must have been the music press that started that one off.

Second albums that were better than the first, imo:

Obscure Alternatives
Gone To Earth
The Verve's A Northern Soul...

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season