Summer Albums

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Summer Albums

Postby Tanya80 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Hiya everyone :), hope your weekend is going very well :D!!...since the summer is very near, i was wondering what is everyone picks on albums this summer ?...as for me, the following albums is gonna set my summer off for sure...with school & possible vacation :D!

Adam Ant: Friend Or Foe......after listening to, "Made Of Money"...i'm really tihnking about getting this album!

Ultravox: Vienna......"Vienna" & "Passing Strangers" are brilliant songs..

Visage: Visage .......after seeing the video for, "Mind Of A Toy" back in 03'...i've always wanted to grab my hands on any Visage album :)

Roxy Music: Flesh + Blood.....from the singles i've heard from this album, such as: "The Midnight Hour", "Flesh + Blood", "Oh Yeah" & "Same Old Scene" sounds terrific :D...wouldn't mind hearing, how the rest of the album sounds :D

Last edited by Tanya80 on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Odd that. I would always consider that period of Ultravox's career to be linked to Winter - especially Vienna.

"we walked in the cold air freezing breath on a window pane"

Similarly, Visage are a bit glacial to me.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Apr 20, 2008 5:04 pm

Well Tanya, I'm going to be in Italy for four weeks and so I think I'll have to stock up before I go. (Although I'm told there is wireless connectivity where I'm staying, so I'll hopefully still be on my favourite forums!)

But I still have around 15 albums to go on Want List 1. They include some JBK stuff I have not got, some MK albums, and I think I'm going to have to give in to No-Man (PT singer Steven Wilson's side project with Tim Bowness. JBK have also played on a lot of their albums. In fact SW seems to have so many side projects. When he's not doing them I think he must be wallpapering his bedroom with £50 notes!).

And then there's a band who have recently reformed called Return To Forever, theirs was another record I heard when I was tiny. My dad turns 65 this year so I thought I'd treat him to tickets to their gig in London (front row seats!). But I only have one album of theirs, so I need more!

So many albums, so little time...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:20 pm

I read that Roxy Music have a new release coming out this year and it includes the original lineup (including Eno as well). Is this true?
Also, I am looking forward to hearing the latest Massive Attack, tentatively titled 'Weather Underground' of all things, which is slated to finally be released this year.
Chick Corea and John McLaughlin have a new project coming out this year (saxophonist Kenny Garrett, bassist Christian McBride and drummer extraordinaire Vinnie Colaiuta are the excellent sidemen) under the name Five Peace Band.
And obviously I am anxiously awaiting the next Sylvian solo disc, which is expected to be released later this year.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:37 am

Good topic, Tanya.

I was really looking forward to the re-release of Furniture's 1986 album "The Wrong People", which was scheduled for this summer, but apparently the release has been delayed again. :cry:

So I'll probably spend the summer catching up with the Japan family projects (e.g. Porcupine Tree) I've not so far explored.

Top of my list of old albums I want to buy are the Transglobal Underground compilation "Backpacking on the Graves of Our Ancestors" and Jim Moray's "Sweet England".
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:20 am

hey Tanya : I've got this album of ROXY and I love it so much!!!!
:wink:

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:47 am

I just can't seem to get enough of The Cure's Galore cd at the moment... so that seems to be leading me into my summer. I've also been listening to Echo and the bunnymen....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby zebra on Tue Apr 22, 2008 8:46 pm

Hi, Tanya, hmmm summmeeerrrrrrr. It felt like the first day of it today, but i was stuck inside working on our new album.
May I recommend the Roxy album ' Stranded", with "Mother of Pearl' on it,its very decadent, high summer, very red wine on the lawn, you'll love it.
And me? Every summer now is a Kate Bush 'Aeriel' trip! But other perfect summer sounds for me Tyrannosaurus Rex, early Doors, Syd Barretts Pink Floyd LP, Young Marble Giants 'Colossal Youth', The Fall 'Happy Holiday', The Creatures 'Boomerang',ooh and Pet Sounds by the Beach Boys gotta gotta. And for that party lets get wrecked mood The New York Dolls. But Broadcasts new album should be out this summer ( o it will it will ) so i'll be wearing that out no doubt.
Hope yours is a good 'un, Dee xx
londonconcrete make sonic aggregates
zebra
Regular
Regular

Postby E.T. on Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:18 pm

I'm thinking about get this album.
Fennesz - endless summer
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jul 30, 2008 2:45 pm

My Summer has been soundtracked by:
Foals - Antidote
Portishead - Third
Thomas Feiner and Anywhen - The Opiates
Sea Wolf - Leaves in the River
Burial - Untrue
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 30, 2008 4:34 pm

well so far my summer has been dedicated to rediscovering all of david's music. I sort of stopped listening to it for a while. Got a bit bored... Now I'm having such a great time hearing, in many instances, nuances of his music and vocals that i didn't hear before. I'm totally into GTE and a bootleg of him live in new york from the E&N tour.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:45 am

Well, I have to say that my band for this summer is being The Jesus and Mary Chain. :-D

The Beach Boys, Belle & Sebastian, Air, Roisin Murphy or Jeff Buckley are other artists I'm listening a lot as well.
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:25 pm

Well, my summer award still goes to Foals - "Antidotes"...I probably listened to this more then everything else combined. Also, I'm going to see David Byrne live next week. Haven't seen him since the 1983 Remain in Light tour...looking forward to it! :-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:44 am

E.T. wrote:I'm thinking about get this album.
Fennesz - endless summer

Stop thinking about it and just do it. Wonderful stuff there!

Mine currently consists of:

Bon Iver
Thomas Fiener
Nosound
and
no-man
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:10 pm

haha
still I haven't get it yet, but I want it :-D
mmm, summer starts to ending, seems like I caught a cold :?
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season