Questions for ...

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby Melaszka on Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:44 am

anortherncod wrote:I wonder if the problem is, unfortunately, something that Melaszka touched on in her post - namely that the singer of a band (or former singer) always has more kudos than the rest. I think that's a shame. I know we don't all follow PT on this forum, but I do and can really hear RB's influence on them, whether he's credited as a writer or not.

At the risk of being flamed... I think those of us who aren't delving into the other ex-members' back catalogues are missing out, personally; I don't mean PT, but the wealth of solo and collaborative albums out there.

I'd like to emphasise that I meant no disrespect - I think they're all great musicians (Karn especially) and the fact that I haven't followed them is no reflection on them or what I think they contributed to Japan. It is, as you suggest, more a reflection on my finances!

In my case, anyway, it's not that I was a massive Japan fan who only bothered to keep track of David after they split up. It's more that I became a big Sylvian solo fan in the 90s, independently of Japan, and have since rediscovered Japan (a band I only quite liked but not as much as I should have in the 80s)as a result, and am now playing catch up with the others. Believe me, their solo and collaborative albums are high on the list of things I want to get.

Oh, and sorry, I thanked the wrong person for organising this! Thank you very much, Natasha.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:26 pm

Melaszka wrote:
I'd like to emphasise that I meant no disrespect - I think they're all great musicians (Karn especially) and the fact that I haven't followed them is no reflection on them or what I think they contributed to Japan. It is, as you suggest, more a reflection on my finances!

Believe me, their solo and collaborative albums are high on the list of things I want to get.

Oh, and sorry, I thanked the wrong person for organising this! Thank you very much, Natasha.

Mel, I know you didn't mean anything like that. I think that it's just the way it goes, often, that the singer gets more exposure. A whole load of different factors bring us to that point. I challenge any one of you to find a JBK album in HMV or Zavvi, for example - but you can get all of DS' back catalogue there. I certainly know what you mean about lists - I have my 'Want List 1' stuck in my diary!

I'd like to thank my friend Space Travelling Michelides Rhodes, without whom this thread would not have been possible... :lol:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:13 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: LOL!
Space travelling Michelides Rhodes! That is sooo funny! IT's OK Natasha I don't mind being snubbed - much! Watch out Melaszka or I'll have to space hop down to Somerset and play you Mick Karn's entire back catalogue until your ears bleed! LOL! (OK - I don't actually own all of MK's back catalogue but I'm working on it ...) :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Sat Mar 22, 2008 6:19 pm

anortherncod wrote: I think that it's just the way it goes, often, that the singer gets more exposure. A whole load of different factors bring us to that point. I challenge any one of you to find a JBK album in HMV or Zavvi, for example - but you can get all of DS' back catalogue there.

This, alas, seems to pertain to public libraries, as well - I've just looked up the boys in the Somerset County library catalogue, and frustratingly there seems to be no trace of MK's, RB's or SJ's solo/combo stuff, but virtually everything DS has ever done (they do have a couple of Porcupine Tree albums, though, so at least I can give that a go.)

I know what you mean about the front man always having an unfair advantage in terms of public recognition, though.

Posted by Astronaut
Watch out Melaszka or I'll have to space hop down to Somerset and play you Mick Karn's entire back catalogue until your ears bleed! LOL!

:lol:

Seriously, which albums would you guys recommend as the most essential out of the Japan crew's back catalogue, so I know where to start?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:50 am

Melaszka wrote:
Seriously, which albums would you guys recommend as the most essential out of the Japan crew's back catalogue, so I know where to start?

Well, guess what, I would recommend Richard Barbieri's Things Buried
<<< :D It's amazing what that man can do. But I digress...

I've not got everything by a long stretch of the imagination, but I also have JBK's _ism and Beginning To Melt which are both fab.

If you want to test the water with MK you should be able to find a copy of his Selected compilation album in HMV, Zavvi or Fopp (in complete contrast to what I said before, but it was only released recently). It has tracks from all his solo albums apart from the first two.

If you're at all interested in PT, try the latest album, Fear Of A Blank Planet, or alternatively... I would say Stupid Dream is an excellent example of what I mean about being able to hear RB's influence on PT.

What's the record shop situation like where you are? Even though there's still a lot I want, I've been very lucky in that my local shop stocks a lot of this kind of thing. I think they do mail order, PM me if you want to know more!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:18 am

Thanks, Natasha, for the recommendations. I'll make a belated New Year's resolution to listen to some of this stuff.

But I've completely thrown the thread off track. Anyone else got some questions for the gentlemen concerned?
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:25 am

Let us know how you get on, Mel.

I'm not going to rant again because I had a mini-rant last night on the 'Former Japan members seen naked' thread, but, if anyone does have any questions, please post them!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:27 am

Ever since I saw the title on that other thread, all I can think of to ask is if any of them have any "ex-Japan band members seen naked" stories. Reminds me of the dvd that came with "Astronaut" - Simon's dressing room flashing and the funny look Nick was giving him. :lol:

Strike that though. I'll keep thinking.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:55 am

heartofdavid wrote:Ever since I saw the title on that other thread, all I can think of to ask is if any of them have any "ex-Japan band members seen naked" stories. Reminds me of the dvd that came with "Astronaut" - Simon's dressing room flashing and the funny look Nick was giving him. :lol:

Strike that though. I'll keep thinking.

Well, that reminds me of an old story from Bamboo about Steve being a 'cubicle man'! Or was it actually all four of them? :lol:

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:46 pm

anortherncod wrote:Well, that reminds me of an old story from Bamboo about Steve being a 'cubicle man'! Or was it actually all four of them? :lol:
Natasha

WHAT??? :shock: :shock: :shock: All 4 of 'em in the same cubicle? (or does 'cubicle' refer to some weird practice that I am completely unaware of?) Hmmm, a George Michael moment ...? Hey, they could've made that into a video!!! ;-) I wonder that SNB didn't suggest it ... or maybe he did? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I s'pose we could ask something relating to funny tour stories - they must have a load of those ... ;-)
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:51 pm

Astronaut wrote:WHAT??? :shock: :shock: :shock: All 4 of 'em in the same cubicle? (or does 'cubicle' refer to some weird practice that I am completely unaware of?) Hmmm, a George Michael moment ...? Hey, they could've made that into a video!!! ;-) I wonder that SNB didn't suggest it ... or maybe he did? :lol: :lol: :lol:

I s'pose we could ask something relating to funny tour stories - they must have a load of those ... ;-)

ROTFLMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:

No, that's not what I meant!!!

I meant that instead of using the urinal Steve (or possibly all of them) went into a cubicle ON THEIR OWN for a wee.

This thread has sunk to new depths hasn't it? And I've only got myself to blame!!!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:22 pm

anortherncod wrote:ROTFLMAO! :lol: :lol: :lol:
No, that's not what I meant!!!
I meant that instead of using the urinal Steve (or possibly all of them) went into a cubicle ON THEIR OWN for a wee.
This thread has sunk to new depths hasn't it? And I've only got myself to blame!!!
Natasha

Uh! Just going for a wee? OK. Well, I was just about to put a call out to a private detective to see if he could find the 'missing tape' AKA 'The Cubicle Chronicles' ... :lol: :lol: :lol:

OK, enough of this lighthearted frivolity. Any sensible questions for JBK?
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:03 pm

anortherncod wrote:Well, that reminds me of an old story from Bamboo about Steve being a 'cubicle man'! Or was it actually all four of them?

I posted that article (an excerpt) somewhere on this board...a little over a year ago, I think. The comment was from an interview with David Rhodes, the guitarist on the "Visions of China" tour. It was Steve who originally said that, and it became an ongoing joke for him and Rhodes any time they stopped to use a facility. Steve confirmed the story in a later issue.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:58 pm

OMGoodness I feel strongly like I want to ask questions of these people but I don't know what I would ask. I am feeling like most of my questions are the epitome of the word inadequete.

I have heard very little of Karn or Barbieri's music due to v low funds and the difficulties of getting these things. It's especially hard to ask Karn questions as I have only heard "Titles" whereas with Barbieri I am on slightly stronger ground as I have listened to the Dolphin Brothers, Porcupine Tree and his solo album "Things Buried".

BUT

I would like to ask both of them what do they think they would have been doing if they hadn't become musicians?

and

What music do they listen to? Like?

I'd like to ask Richard if the rumour of an anthology of his music being made availiable at some point are true?

What are the chances of another album?

What was his verdict on the Dolphin Brothers album with hindsight? Especially as Steve seems to not have such a positive view of it. Strengths, weaknesses?

Of course first I would like to ask Steve if he does have a dislike of elements of it....I read that he didn't like the lyrics he'd written somewhere....I don't recall where though.Hope I didn't make it up. LOL

Also how was the album assembled were lyrics written first or music??
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:11 pm

Thanks for those questions Tallulah!

I think it might be an idea to have a kind of 'closing date' for questions, and then by that date we can submit the ones we have. Just because the thread is not seeing that much activity and I think it's better to ask a few - or ask them if we can ask a few - rather than let it drop.

Astronaut, my spacetravellinDuranlovinalwaysofMickdreamin friend, what do you think about that?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season