Questions for ...

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Questions for ...

Postby Astronaut on Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:20 am

Richard Barbieri, Mick Karn or Steve Jansen? Is there anybody interested in asking any of these musicians what they are working on at the moment, what future plans are or any other subjects you'd like to quiz them about? We tend to focus a lot of our attention on David (no bad thing but ...) and since a reply to Japanfans planned Q&A email will not be forthcoming for an unspecified length of time, perhaps we could re-focus our attention? BTW: If anyone thinks this is a c**p idea please say!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:36 am

I did get a reply from Davids manager who must have spoken to David. The reply was that David is busy and hasnt the time at the moment, however this might change later in the year. I think a Q&A for the other members would be a good idea, but who is going to contact their management?
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:11 am

I know that Richard's site is quite dead and there's no news from the mailing list (well, at least I joined last year and still nothing). In any case I know that he replies sometimes to the emails sent to his site. A fellow fan from the PT forum did (about a t-shirt he wore at the gigs) and he replied twice to her :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Questions for ...

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:57 am

Astronaut wrote:Richard Barbieri, Mick Karn or Steve Jansen? Is there anybody interested in asking any of these musicians what they are working on at the moment, what future plans are or any other subjects you'd like to quiz them about? We tend to focus a lot of our attention on David (no bad thing but ...) and since a reply to Japanfans planned Q&A email will not be forthcoming for an unspecified length of time, perhaps we could re-focus our attention? BTW: If anyone thinks this is a c**p idea please say!!! :lol:

Actually I think this idea is far from crap (surprise, surprise!).

As I've mentioned elsewhere I have a MySpace page which is a bit rubbish, but I was wondering if MySpace might be a way to ask questions, does anyone have any ideas about that?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:13 am

Well, maybe through the Indigo Falls in Rich's case, but that one is used quite infrequently... Dunno about Mick's, I don't see it updated ofter either.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby Astronaut on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:18 pm

THANKS FOR FEEDBACK SO FAR ... :-D
japanfan wrote:I did get a reply from Davids manager who must have spoken to David. The reply was that David is busy and hasnt the time at the moment, however this might change later in the year. I think a Q&A for the other members would be a good idea, but who is going to contact their management?

Yes, I understood that was the current situation Japanfan and didn't mean to sound disparaging or anything of that nature! I would contact the various managers involved, unless anyone else really wants to?
As I've mentioned elsewhere I have a MySpace page which is a bit rubbish, but I was wondering if MySpace might be a way to ask questions, does anyone have any ideas about that?

Well Natasha I don't have a Myspace page, but if you want to use yours to pose a few questions ...?
I'll wait to see what other people have to say, and then I'll get organised!!!
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:47 pm

I'm happy to email info@richardbarbieri.net and see if he would be prepared to answer some questions, shall I do that? (I'm assuming that's what [/b]Sisterlondon's[b] friend on PTF did.)

Then, if the response is favourable, we could make a list here. What do you think?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:11 am

Bumpity bump!!!

C'mon everyone... surely someone must have some questions for our beloved ex-band members?

I'm happy to email Richard, Astronaut has volunteered to try and contact Mick (other people did as well, but she silenced them :wink: ). That just leaves Steve... yes, Sisterlondon, I am looking at you... :D

First to think of one gets an Easter egg. Well, a virtual one anyway!

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:43 pm

I want to know the kit and cymbals Steve uses?
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:47 pm

A question for Steve: What was the thinking that made him opt to go with Thomas Feiner's contribution of lyrics and melody (if you can call it that) for what became Sow The Salt rather than the beautiful melody and intriguing lyrics that Tim Elsenburg devised for the same music (that particular composition initially being titled Amina and then later renamed White Man Hex)?

And in regards towards reaching Sylvian with questions, I would recommend starting up a new website with an address that didn't happen to place the name of his former band before his own in order to represent the questioners who are interested in current events. :)
Something along the lines of sylvianssamadhi.com or sylviantrophies3.com....something of that sort. :)
I happen to be of the opinion that a site such as that might possibly have a better chance of receiving a positive response from Sylvian rather than a site which leans a little too heavily towards nostalgia for an era he doesn't hold in high esteem. I mean, let us be honest, how busy could he really be that he couldn't take a few moments out to answer questions. It all depends on the questions and where the interest of the questioners lie.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:52 pm

Thanks for your questions, let's keep them coming! And Japanfan, get yourself a virtual Creme Egg. Here today, goo tomorrow!!!

baht habit wrote:And in regards towards reaching Sylvian with questions, I would recommend starting up a new website with an address that didn't happen to place the name of his former band before his own in order to represent the questioners who are interested in current events. :)
Something along the lines of sylvianssamadhi.com or sylviantrophies3.com....something of that sort. :)
I happen to be of the opinion that a site such as that might possibly have a better chance of receiving a positive response from Sylvian rather than a site which leans a little too heavily towards nostalgia for an era he doesn't hold in high esteem. I mean, let us be honest, how busy could he really be that he couldn't take a few moments out to answer questions. It all depends on the questions and where the interest of the questioners lie.

Do you think that's a factor?

Personally I don't have the technical knowledge to set up a website and also there's the small matter of all the university assignments I need to do and hand in by 24 April. However, if such a site were to exist, I would be interested and so would a lot of other people. How would you feel about setting one up?

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:45 pm

Hi Everyone! :smt006

I've been away for a few days and I'm slightly surprised and disappointed that the response to this thread has been so weak. Where are all you Japan fans? :shock: In order to elicit a response from Messrs. Jansen, Karn and Barbieri, we need to ask some interesting questions. If I'm left to my own devices poor ol' Mr Karn will be receiving a very interesting e-mail! LOL! :wink: So, I need some contributions from some of you ... Please ...

Thank you Japanfan and Bhat Habit for your suggestions :-D

COME ON EVERYONE!
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:28 pm

Astronaut wrote:Hi Everyone! :smt006

I've been away for a few days and I'm slightly surprised and disappointed that the response to this thread has been so weak. Where are all you Japan fans? :shock: In order to elicit a response from Messrs. Jansen, Karn and Barbieri, we need to ask some interesting questions. If I'm left to my own devices poor ol' Mr Karn will be receiving a very interesting e-mail! LOL! :wink: So, I need some contributions from some of you ... Please ...

Thank you Japanfan and Bhat Habit for your suggestions :-D

COME ON EVERYONE!

I'm rubbish at questions and I'm afraid I have not really kept up with Messrs J, K and B's post-Japan careers to the extent to which I have followed Mr S's, so there's little sensible I can add (unless you count "Have you ever considered representing Cyprus in the Eurovision Song Contest?" :lol: )

All I can think of are ones which are too personal to elicit an answer and/or ones they must have been asked a thousand times before. e.g. what's Mick's relationship with DS now and does he think they'll ever work together again? Which contemporary musicians do the boys rate? Have recent developments in music (e.g. internet distribution, things like myspace etc) made things easier or harder for cult-niche artists like them? They've spoken a lot in the past about how being in a band was just about the only route to culture open to people of their background in the 1970s - how do they feel about Britain politically now and do they think there are more or fewer opportunities to working-class young people now than then?

Sorry these questions are so cr*P. Pls feel free to ignre.

Good to see you back, btw, Astronaut, and very grateful to you for offering to organise this.

bahthabit, with all due respect, I don't think the name of the site has anything to do with it whatsoever. I seem to remember that DS couldn't find time out of his schedule to do a similar exercise for davidsylvian.net, either (I know he DID answer Q & A's for them once or twice, but I think several years had elapsed since the last one and they couldn't pin him down to do another - correct me, Gerrit and/or friends if I'm wrong).

And I'm sure that someone at Samadhi or Opium must follow this site, if only for market research purposes, so David must know that the majority of members of japansylvian have kept abreast of his recent work, too - we're really not stuck in a 1981 timewarp.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:50 pm

Well, perhaps I am unfairly off the mark regarding the name of the website and it's emphasis on Japan. Or perhaps Sylvian has the ability to look into the future and envisioned a list of possible questions he'd be asked to answer:

Can you ever see Japan reforming for an album and tour under the current climate of 80’s revival?
Where did you get your ideas for your hairstyles in the period you were in Japan?
It has been said you’re into fashion, who is your favourite designer?
What is it that fascinates you about religion?
Who is your favourite musical artist?
What encouraged you to wear makeup in your Japan days and how did other people respond to it?
What do you like about the country Japan? And has it influenced you in any way?
I have heard you don’t like appearing in music videos why is this?
Do you ever look at posts on the japansylvian.com Internet forum? And if so have you ever felt like responding?
Nearly all Japan fans love Adolescent sex and to this day its one of my favourite albums, are you proud that your band managed to produce such a good debut album?
Can you ever see yourself reworking the very early Japan songs from Adolescent sex and Obscure Alternatives?
What is your favourite Japan song?
What is your favourite Japan album?
Do you miss the camaraderie of being in a band?
Can you ever see yourself working with Mick Karn again?

Hence, he quickly became extremely busy every second of the days and nights ahead. :D
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:31 am

I think Melaszka's point about avenues available for young working-class people is a really interesting one and I'm going to try and formulate that into some kind of a question.

Baht habit, I do take your point, but what I vaguely had in mind to ask SJ, RB and MK wasn't along the lines of what happened during the Japan days. DS' decision to answer questions - or not - doesn't have much bearing on whether the other ex-members do or don't.

I wonder if the problem is, unfortunately, something that Melaszka touched on in her post - namely that the singer of a band (or former singer) always has more kudos than the rest. I think that's a shame. I know we don't all follow PT on this forum, but I do and can really hear RB's influence on them, whether he's credited as a writer or not.

At the risk of being flamed... I think those of us who aren't delving into the other ex-members' back catalogues are missing out, personally; I don't mean PT, but the wealth of solo and collaborative albums out there. I know we're not all rolling in it (especially not me) and when you are a fan of a band like Japan with so much material to be collected you may have to draw a line somewhere; but... just my opinion.

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Open Season