Currently reading?

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Aug 24, 2008 12:35 pm

just finished Starting Over by Robin Pilcher.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:01 pm

Norwegian wood by haruki murakami. pretty obsessed by this author, but he is truly amazing.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Adrian on Sun Aug 24, 2008 3:51 pm

kahlil gibran
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Aug 25, 2008 2:39 am

The Monsters - Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein.

I can't recommend this book enough!! Follows the lives of the 5 who were at the Villa Diodati in Geneva, when Frankenstein and the Vampyre were conceived. Fascinating!
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:53 am

ellyn sylvian wrote:The Monsters - Mary Shelley and the Curse of Frankenstein.

I can't recommend this book enough!! Follows the lives of the 5 who were at the Villa Diodati in Geneva, when Frankenstein and the Vampyre were conceived. Fascinating!

now that sounds like a good read
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Aug 29, 2008 6:29 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:

There is a film version of this isn't there? Gothick made about 1987 and starring Julian Sands as Shelley, Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron and I think Natasha Richardson was Mary Shelley and Timothy Spall was Polidori the guy who wrote The Vampyre. The fifth person there that night was Mary's half sister Fanny Godwin (I think). Good film, in a very OTT Duran Duran video kind of way!
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Aug 30, 2008 10:50 am

Astronaut wrote:

There is a film version of this isn't there? Gothick made about 1987 and starring Julian Sands as Shelley, Gabriel Byrne as Lord Byron and I think Natasha Richardson was Mary Shelley and Timothy Spall was Polidori the guy who wrote The Vampyre. The fifth person there that night was Mary's half sister Fanny Godwin (I think). Good film, in a very OTT Duran Duran video kind of way!

Oh god i've seen that movie... AGES ago... it is a completely WACKED out movie...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Aug 30, 2008 3:59 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:Oh god i've seen that movie... AGES ago... it is a completely WACKED out movie...

Precisely. Just like a DD video!!! :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Aug 30, 2008 4:46 pm

Astronaut wrote:
godisinthesilences wrote:Oh god i've seen that movie... AGES ago... it is a completely WACKED out movie...

Yeah the old fabulous DD videos... like Nightboat.... my all time favourite dd video... oh wait it is a tie between that and Lonely in your Nightmare. God how I love that era of DD. Nothing will ever compare!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:06 pm

Astronaut wrote:

Yeah the old fabulous DD videos... like Nightboat.... my all time favourite dd video... oh wait it is a tie between that and Lonely in your Nightmare. God how I love that era of DD. Nothing will ever compare!

Yes agree 100%. Isn't it funny how their videos suddenly got smaller in scale and direction once they had to start paying for the production costs themselves??? ;-)

Apologies everyone else - we seem to have gone off topic a bit. OK. Gods what are you reading right now? I'm reading 'Necropolis' by Catharine Arnold. It's excellent! Gruesome and stomach churning in places, but excellent nonetheless.
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat Aug 30, 2008 5:34 pm

well at the moment i'm reading a holistic business text book (a bit of a yawn really) and also reading Beginning Spiritualism. Just finish Healing Alternatives for Beginners by Kay Henrion NP. Sort of a bore actually. I already knew everything in the book.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Sep 17, 2008 8:06 am

The Carnivorous Lamb - Agustin Gomez-Arcos
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tanya80 on Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:55 pm

i know this don't count, but the only thing i've been reading lately are notes from classes :(
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:53 pm

I had seen the movie Gothic.... it was OK. If you want to see a wonderful movie re Byron/Shelley etc, check out the Haunted Summer!!

Alex Winter from Bill and Ted, plays Polidori. Eric Stoltz plays Shelley - he is perfect for the role!!

(Oh, one of Mary's step sisters was called Fanny Godwin - she committed self-murder, the other step sister was the one that accompanied them on their travels - Claire Clairmont, - she was one of Byron's mistresses. I am a bit of a well-read person on this topic.... )

Currently read a book called "In Praise of Slow" - sounds like a bit like a Sylvian tour eh??? Anyway, it is talking about the speed of life and how we are suffering both in our health, relationships and life in general with the speed that everything must be done.

It has made me think... and realise the sometimes it is very VERY good to stop and smell the flowers. And that you also don't need everything that you see in the stores....

But in saying that, I just broke my own rules... bought two books today, one in a physical store, and one online just now....

Footrot Flats - The Long Weekender (a collection of iconic NZ cartoons, it is a trip down memory lane looking at that!); and....

On a Faraway Beach: The Life and times of Brian Eno, - I have to wait a week before that book is here!!! He is such a fascinating character....!!! Eno is often referred to as "the godfather of ambient music", so without the likes of him, we may never have had the sounds we love with the Japan boys!!
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Sep 28, 2008 6:54 am

ellyn sylvian wrote:Footrot Flats - The Long Weekender (a collection of iconic NZ cartoons, it is a trip down memory lane looking at that!

Oh wow, Footrot Flats! Wal, Cooch, Horse, Aunt Dolly...and the Dog - love all those characters!

The Bone Key - Sarah Monette
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season