Old DD Scans

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Postby proggrl on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:29 am

Poisoned_Apathy wrote:Mick Karn is one of the greatest bass players ever and his style and look will remain unique forever, but ...we don't need a Mick in DD because we have a John Taylor :-D
Quite true! LOL
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:04 am

*chants* Play the f*cking bass John, play the f*cking bass John!!!! ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:27 am

hee hee... ya gotta love a thread that has gone wild!!!! Duran Duran has that effect on fans!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:50 pm

:P Well I guess I made a stupid comment. I was assuming that since Nick basically stole from David, they'd steal some of the other band member's signature styles. Maybe I'm just tired and not making sense...
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby VaporTrail on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:10 pm

I'm starting to get the feeling that DD is really a love them/hate them band, not too much middle ground.

As for stealing and stuff, hell every musician "steals" when they're first beginning. Everyone wears their influences on their sleeve when they're first starting out.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby New Romantik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:20 pm

VaporTrail wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that DD is really a love them/hate them band, not too much middle ground.

As for stealing and stuff, Jersey every musician "steals" when they're first beginning. Everyone wears their influences on their sleeve when they're first starting out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Duran's "The Reflex". I don't hate them, I just assumed they took off and ran with Japan's style...simple misconception.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Fri Aug 03, 2007 11:45 pm

New Romantik wrote:
VaporTrail wrote:I'm starting to get the feeling that DD is really a love them/hate them band, not too much middle ground.

As for stealing and stuff, Jersey every musician "steals" when they're first beginning. Everyone wears their influences on their sleeve when they're first starting out.

Don't get me wrong, I really like Duran's "The Reflex". I don't hate them, I just assumed they took off and ran with Japan's style...simple misconception.

No---we know what you meant by what you said, and I think we probably agree to some extent that is true. Every artist has their influences whether they mimic them or even admit to it. Duran definitely will tell you who their influences were and it does show. Bowie, Blondie, Roxy Music, Chic, Japan---they are all in their music somewhere---only DD did put their own style into it. Sylvian and the guys definitely took alot of influence from Bowie and Bryan Ferry, and even the New York Dolls, whether they were aware or not. The fans notice these things and make comparisons sometimes, but the real test is the test of time and if the work passes that test.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:37 am

wow that was a great insight Krausy.... thanks.
I do agree that it does seem that duran inspires that love/hate feeling amongst people. However, I know many musicians who always say what great musicians andy, john and roger are. Yes I'm sorry they generally leave out nick and simon, but they always say they appreciate the group as a whole music.

You know what i don't like is how underappreciated and valued they seem to be whenever I see anything about 80s music. They appear as just this blip when in fact they seemed to have a huge control over the scene in the mid 80s. I don't ever understand this lack... You know they are mentioned for hungry like the wolf or rio and apparently those are the only songs done by them in the 80s. So discouraging to me. It is as if, if you have massive amounts of rabid girl fans you aren't worth mentioning.... hhmm seems contraindicative when you think back to the beatles when they first arrived on u.s. soil. Please don't confuse me in that i'm comparing Duran to the Beatles in anything more than the hysteria surrounding them.

Ok I'm done with my rant. LOL
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Aug 05, 2007 7:21 pm

Gods, you are correct about DD being "played down" these days as to their importance to the 80's sound and vision. They definitely ruled the video world, as it was a fairly new medium and they were the first band to really put alot of art, script, and film- like production into their video work. And critically they just did not get the respect they deserved, but does anybody really? I don't think that situation will ever change.

And actually, DD were compared to the Beatles for a short time,but mainly for the pandemonium that seemed to follow them in Late '83 and all of 1984 during the SATRT tour.

Yeah Gods, I understand your frustration---it is annoying when everyone seems to make a big joke out of Duran Duran, like they were some kind of big embarrassment. And I realize I am leaving it wide open here for someone to make comment,but so be it. It won't change my mind about them, and I dont' feel the need to change anyone else's mind either. I have to respect how one feels.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Sun Aug 05, 2007 10:43 pm

[quote="krausy"]

I hate to drag another band into this discussion, but I feel like The Cure never really got the respect they deserved. I mean, sure, they were popular, but only because of songs like "Just Like Heaven" and "Friday I'm In Love" and none of their early, more gothic stuff got mentioned or appreciated as it should have. But I like it, and that's all that counts.
I used to really like DD when I was 8 or 9...guess I grew out of that.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 06, 2007 5:37 am

godisinthesilences wrote:It is as if, if you have massive amounts of rabid girl fans you aren't worth mentioning.... hhmm seems contraindicative when you think back to the beatles when they first arrived on u.s. soil.

I think that's part of the reason right there why DD never got the critical acclaim they deserve. They were marketed for that group and never developed much of a following beyond that. The Beatles comparison is apt, but unlike the 60s, the 80s had a lot more for fans to choose from and rock music wasn't the cultural phenomenon like it was before, where it made such a huge impact that everyone had a chance to hear it whether they wanted to or not. Everyone talked about it, everyone had their opinion - and everyone in the media discussed it so much so interest broadened beyond the original audience.

I don't think DD every really broke though that original market, and as their fans grew older many of them lost interest in the band. I don't think they picked up many new fans then or today.

Right or wrong, the music press and critics viewed them the same way and the media caters to the public - who really ever covered the band except the teen mags? Many less deserving musicians had better write-ups and radio play outside of the Top 40 type stations because they appealed to guys as well as girls.

Anyway, that's my theory. I was in my 20s during the 80s and the entire DD thing passed me by - I don't recall anything about them from that time except for a couple of videos on MTV - can't remember ever hearing them on the radio, at least not on the stations I listened to, and they weren't written about in the music magazines I read.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Aug 06, 2007 10:27 am

oh well I still love DD... the original DD the most. I am hopeful that their new cd will be something great... my only concern is now they are more interested in capitalizing rather than creating great music. I really hope i'm wrong. I know it doesn't have to be an either/or situation but somehow that is how it goes with big record labels and sales. Oh well.... here is still hoping it is great. (ha ha if and when it ever gets released. LOL)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:03 am

In a way I'm glad I got into DD late (not until 2003), and that was from a recommendation to listen to Medazzaland and The Devils cd. While I enjoy their early stuff, I really love the music starting with Notorious (and the earlier Arcadia project). Since I didn't know anything about their history at the time, it was like I could listen to the music without interference, so to speak.

I don't think they're much interested in capitalizing on anything; if they are then waiting 4+ years for a follow-up is a very poor strategy - makes no sense in that respect. I think they just do their own thing, everbody be damned - they're in their own Duran world running on Duran time. I think their record company isn't too happy about that, lol.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Aug 06, 2007 11:39 am

way too many factors face the fact that they care about being on the charts and making money... i don't want to get into a big debate so i'm going to leave this conversation at that.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:26 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:way too many factors face the fact that they care about being on the charts and making money... i don't want to get into a big debate so i'm going to leave this conversation at that.

Yeah I agree there Gods. We shall see what the next album does, when it comes out.........

The thing about DD was they were five good looking guys so naturally the gals flocked, and I guess it wasn't the best thing to happen, except that it sold a lot of units at the time, which made the record company happy (and of course DD). It afforded them all the lifestyle they had not had before. Everyone else from critics to magazine editors cringed at the teen idol factor. It is too bad really, because I for one got into them for the music first and foremost---their looks were just icing on the cake. They have a legacy, and they have influenced others and that is what they should be proud of always.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season