Currently listening to II ...

Off-topic area for general discussion of NON-Japan/Sylvian related subjects.

Re: Currently listening to II ...

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:05 pm

Ellery, a decent record by Max García Conover, can be heard in full here.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Sep 09, 2014 4:30 pm

baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:08 am

baht habit wrote:Hildur Gudnadottir - Saman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMGpK5M2fE

I noticed bassist Skúli Sverrisson is on one of the tracks too.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:52 am

Quiet Visitor wrote:
baht habit wrote:Hildur Gudnadottir - Saman

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSMGpK5M2fE

I noticed bassist Skúli Sverrisson is on one of the tracks too.

Sverrisson had also contributed to many tracks on Gudnadottir's first cd on Touch, titled Without Sinking - and then on the followup ep Irridescence. Yet this track included on Saman which he worked on tends to be one of the weaker ones on an otherwise intriguing release...just my opinion though.

Currently listening to bassist / guitarist Antoine Fafard's AD PERPETUUM....and a heavy dosage of TV on the Radio's catalog.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:02 am

baht habit wrote:
Currently listening to bassist / guitarist Antoine Fafard's AD PERPETUUM....

Me too! I know Fafard's work since he released his first album with Spaced Out.

B.t.w. Sverrisson also played with Allan Holdsworth, my favourite guitarist.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:51 pm

Quiet Visitor wrote:
baht habit wrote:
Currently listening to bassist / guitarist Antoine Fafard's AD PERPETUUM....

Me too! I know Fafard's work since he released his first album with Spaced Out.

B.t.w. Sverrisson also played with Allan Holdsworth, my favourite guitarist.

Yes and to tie it together even more, doesn't some of Jerry DeVilliers' contributions to Ad Perpetuum sound a little Holdsworth-esque? :-)
Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming is {{{{mind blowing}}}}, as always.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:00 am

Baht's reappearance reminded me I'm rediscovering Sting's early solo career in a big way. not that there was anything to rediscover, just that it's been years since I last went to his discs. The Dream of the Blue Turtles and ...Nothing Like the Sun show off such an incredibly talented guy. where did that talent go (and motivations changed) by the time of The Soul Cages, I keep asking myself with a vicarious (and, I'm sure, totally misplaced) regret on behalf of the man himself. Blue Turtles is spotless formally and stylistically, whereas ..Nothing Like puts to (temporary) rest claims of Sting as a soulless, smug and egotistical dude. a convincingly personal take on melody, harmony and lyrics, terrific vocal chops, wonderful band and musicians.. back then, he had it all.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:58 pm

baht habit wrote:Yes and to tie it together even more, doesn't some of Jerry DeVilliers' contributions to Ad Perpetuum sound a little Holdsworth-esque? :-)
Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming is {{{{mind blowing}}}}, as always.

Yeah, Jerry must have listened to Allan one or two times :wink: I noticed DeVilliers also played with bass-virtuozo Alain Caron.

And indeed, Vinnie is Vinnie. It doesn't matter if he plays with Nik Kershaw or Jeff Beck, it's always tasty!
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:03 pm

kitaj wrote:Baht's reappearance reminded me I'm rediscovering Sting's early solo career in a big way. not that there was anything to rediscover, just that it's been years since I last went to his discs. The Dream of the Blue Turtles and ...Nothing Like the Sun show off such an incredibly talented guy. where did that talent go (and motivations changed) by the time of The Soul Cages, I keep asking myself with a vicarious (and, I'm sure, totally misplaced) regret on behalf of the man himself. Blue Turtles is spotless formally and stylistically, whereas ..Nothing Like puts to (temporary) rest claims of Sting as a soulless, smug and egotistical dude. a convincingly personal take on melody, harmony and lyrics, terrific vocal chops, wonderful band and musicians.. back then, he had it all.

I feel more or less the same with Sting. I guess I was one of the first who bought the first album of The Police and when Sting started recording with those jazz-(rock)-musicians it felt good. But it one way or another I didn't click with his personality. The same more or less happened with Bono for me.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:15 pm

kitaj wrote:Baht's reappearance reminded me I'm rediscovering Sting's early solo career in a big way. not that there was anything to rediscover, just that it's been years since I last went to his discs. The Dream of the Blue Turtles and ...Nothing Like the Sun show off such an incredibly talented guy. where did that talent go (and motivations changed) by the time of The Soul Cages, I keep asking myself with a vicarious (and, I'm sure, totally misplaced) regret on behalf of the man himself. Blue Turtles is spotless formally and stylistically, whereas ..Nothing Like puts to (temporary) rest claims of Sting as a soulless, smug and egotistical dude. a convincingly personal take on melody, harmony and lyrics, terrific vocal chops, wonderful band and musicians.. back then, he had it all.

I would normally feel compelled to defend my personal favorite release, Ten Summoner's Tales (1993)...but it's simply a matter of taste, right? :-)
I had the privilege to meet Colaiuta a year ago this month, when he was drumming with Herbie Hancock. For being such an amazing player, that man is extremely humble about what he can do behind the drum kit.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:57 pm

baht habit wrote:I would normally feel compelled to defend my personal favorite release, Ten Summoner's Tales (1993)...but it's simply a matter of taste, right? :-)

more or less, yes. :-)

Ten Summoner's Tales is an album I liked more in theory than in practice. Sting had always had the makings of a latter-day troubadour, as in evidence on that disc - but the majority of its songs feel formulaic, or retreads, as compared to the first two albums (and the live 'Bring On the Night'). for example, Vinnie Colaiuta's drumming parts generally feel somewhat lifeless and reined-in to me - not a patch on Omar Hakim's or Manu Katché's parts on Blue Turtles and ..Nothing Like the Sun. gone are the arious melodies that were Sting's trademark (e.g. 'We Work the Black Seam' or 'Island of Souls') in favour of simpler soul-influenced vocal lines; gone is the ambition that had been there up to and excluding The Soul Cages. I've always felt that ever since he was done with his Amnesty International engagement, and he settled with a steady guitarist, it has been back-to-base with Sting: back to 'private matters' in the lyrical department, back to simpler rock music (which he had before famously declared "dead"), back to a stronger Police influence than before, which didn't quite sit well with me as I was never particularly fond of his erstwhile band.
the only tracks I really love from 10ST are 'Everybody Laughed But You' and 'Something the Boy Said', the latter quite an anomaly on such a demonstratively feel-good record. (I love my "darker" Sting - but then, I adore 'Love Is the Seventh Wave'!). I love the great harmonica solos (Mark Feltham?) which took over from the terrific Branford Marsalis soprano sax on the earlier albums.
I held great hopes for the follow-up, Mercury Falling, as it had many of the Blue Turles-era alumni back to the fold - only to be totally disappointed by, again, the reined-in nature of their contributions, and the general 'beige' character of that album, and that was it for Sting and myself. however, I quite liked his recent-ish 'Christmas album', and am prepared to listen to the new one attentively. :-)
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:26 am

kitaj wrote:The Dream of the Blue Turtles and ...Nothing Like the Sun show off such an incredibly talented guy. where did that talent go by the time of The Soul Cages.

Feel absolutely the same about Sting. When I heard for the first time All This Time on the radio (the good ole days!) I thought it was a joke. One of my greatest musical letdowns.
As Quiet Visitor mentioned Sting and Bono's personalities never clicking with him, I would just like to point out that while Sting has more or less always been the same ("an irritating or contemptible person" is the definition of the word I'm thinking of :D ), Bono (at lest to my eyes) has changed a lot from what he was at the beginning, and, by the time U2 had released Achtung Baby, turned into a media whore ("Hey! How do I look with my new brand mirror shades? They're cooler than my music, dude.").
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:12 am

Funny story about Vinnie: in 2000 he played in Dave Garfield's band Karizma and was also featured on their live-album. But I don't think he's played on any of the studio-albums. Yet, when the band was in town may fans had brought their Karizma-LP's and CD's and wanted Vinnie to sign them. At that moment I wish I had brought with me my copy of the LP from The Christopher Morris Band from 1977 in which a very young Vinnie (then called Vince) played.

Re: Bono - my view on him changed while watching him at Live Aid on TV. He turned his band into a dance-orchestra, while he danced with some beauties in the audience.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dconnery1966 on Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:59 am

Currently listening to Halo Tora's superb EP When the bones Shake :D

Track 1 Under the Surface
Track 2 The Bones that rock the cradle
Track 3 Needles ( my favourite track hear)

And a big Well done to the guys to a sold out King tuts wah wah hut in Glasgow, a superb gig
well done, roll on the new album cant wait the new material is awesome :shock:

And also Wayne Hussey's Songs of Candlelight and Razorblades superb album, he was also superb live,
loved when he done the cover of personal Jesus Depeche Mode Track brilliant stuff :)

Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Quiet Visitor on Wed Nov 05, 2014 2:15 pm

Andrea Chimenti / Fernando Maraghini: "Qohelet" and Andrea Chimenti's "La Maschera Del Corvo Nero Ed Altre Storie".

Of course I also have Chimenti's album featuring David, but he made so much more beautiful music.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Open Season