Hello...I don't have anything much to say but Hi

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hello...I don't have anything much to say but Hi

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:49 pm

Hello, I joined this site today because it seems there was nowhere else to go to discuss this crazy-unique band JAPAN...and I tried posting about them on MANY different forums. My name here is New Romantik because I love the whole post-punk/New Wave/New Romantic scene in music...it's when creativity and style ran rampant! :D

I like JAPAN because I feel it has a lot of character, I mean, I could sit and listen to it all day if I had to. Mick Karn's bass is really neat, I can't describe how it sounds because I'd need to invent new words! And David Sylvian (AKA David Batt) could definately kick Nick Rhodes's butt if he wanted to...it's a shame Duran Duran went on to have the all in all "bigger success" when they deliberately stole their style from JAPAN! (or that's how I see it)
My favorite songs are "Halloween", "ALIEN", "Fall In Love With Me", and "Adolescent Sex"...although I have many MORE favorites! :-D

I'm pretty sensitive, so I might seem a little off to some of you, and I have strong opinions...so lets not fight about who's is wrong or right or anything like that.

Peace! 8)
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:43 pm

Hi New Romantik!

You are in the right place to talk about Japan/David Sylvian, then! I enjoy your posts so far and I hope you enjoy yourself here!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 8:53 pm

Thanks for the warm welcome! :-D

OH! :shock: I forgot to mention I'm 15 years old and a guy...or did I mention that already? Not sure... :?
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:37 pm

A 15 yo guy into Japan. The kids these days are just getting smarter and smarter! Welcome, NR - nice initials. hehehe
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:24 pm

I'm pretty odd that way...I've been told I'm not like other kids my age...
I am pretty wise, I guess, in the ways of the world and pop culture that would just be completely over most kids' heads :P ...don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging at all...I just tend to relate to adults more than I relate to my own age group! :D
I discovered JAPAN on my own while listening to PANDORA radio on the internet. I had set up a specific style of music that I wanted to play, and I heard "Fall In Love With Me" and saw that ghostly image of Sylvian in the red jacket. I was like, "Oh my god, I've got to know more!"

Weird how people discover bands they ultimately end up loving! :wink:
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:28 pm

NR---welcome to our world and hope you have a fabulous time here. We have got all ages here so please make yourself at home, which I see you have been busy posting already on your first day. We love it and it is sooo refreshing to see young SMART people like you getting into this great music that may seem old to other people your age but it is all about what you like. I am 41 and I have always in my life allowed my ears and my heart tell me what I love. It may not be what everyone else listens to and they may laugh or say it is weird, but if it touches you and feels right to you, then it IS right. Never feel embarassed of what you listen to, because it was put out there by an ARTIST, and was meant to be appreciated by people who get it, like you and me and everyone else here.

Thanks for being here and for your enthusiasm!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:23 am

New Romantik wrote:I'm pretty odd that way...I've been told I'm not like other kids my age...
I am pretty wise, I guess, in the ways of the world and pop culture that would just be completely over most kids' heads :P ...don't get me wrong, I'm not bragging at all...I just tend to relate to adults more than I relate to my own age group! :D
I discovered JAPAN on my own while listening to PANDORA radio on the internet. I had set up a specific style of music that I wanted to play, and I heard "Fall In Love With Me" and saw that ghostly image of Sylvian in the red jacket. I was like, "Oh my god, I've got to know more!"

Weird how people discover bands they ultimately end up loving! :wink:

Welcome to the Forum!! Glad to see such amount of new posts.
You remind me of me when I was your age - although I'm just 22. The same thing happened to me when I was at school.
And it's funny, cause I discovered Japan in a very similar way - I watched the video for 'I second that emotion' in VH1 and just thought 'What's that band????' :lol:

I'm just curious - where are you from?
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:11 am

welcome and have fun!!!

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Fri Aug 03, 2007 1:35 pm

I am from Illinois! My heritage is ITALIAN, though, and Irish.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tanya80 on Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:10 pm

WOW!! very impressive :D!!.....hiya & welcome aboard...adore your avatar & siggie :), it's a pleasure meeting a fellow new romantic fan :)
Tanya80
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Mon Aug 06, 2007 2:22 pm

For 15 you seem to have your s**t together, musically anyway. Pretty impressive at your age. When I was 15 I was already getting into Iron Maiden, Early Priest, and Van Halen. I probably would have shrugged off Japan at that age.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:08 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:For 15 you seem to have your s**t together, musically anyway. Pretty impressive at your age. When I was 15 I was already getting into Iron Maiden, Early Priest, and Van Halen. I probably would have shrugged off Japan at that age.

I never really got into hard rock or metal. Or whatever you call it. I was always more ABC than AC/DC.
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:12 pm

New Romantik wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote:For 15 you seem to have your s**t together, musically anyway. Pretty impressive at your age. When I was 15 I was already getting into Iron Maiden, Early Priest, and Van Halen. I probably would have shrugged off Japan at that age.

I never really got into hard rock or metal. Or whatever you call it. I was always more ABC than AC/DC.

You might open up to it later. In the same way that within the past few years I have opened up to Kate Bush and Japan. I listen to alot of proto black metal that I would have never thought I would be listening to, when I was first getting serious about music.

I am really impressed that you have such good taste in music at such a young age.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Mon Aug 06, 2007 3:50 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:I am really impressed that you have such good taste in music at such a young age.

Thanks. ;-)
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Cheery Cherry on Sat Aug 11, 2007 8:33 am

Welcome New Romantik. Your taste in music is definitely more mature than your peers.
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself