Hi from Burnsjed

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hi from Burnsjed

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Jun 08, 2007 11:24 pm

Hi all,
I guess this should have been my first post, but I seemed to get carried away else where!
Music has been a major escape for me over the years, especially when I was younger.
I first got into music after listening to Tubeway Army's (Gary Numan) Are 'Friend's' Electric? Was like nothing I had heard before, and was the start of a long love affair with Numan's music.
I moved on to other electronic music, Depeche Mode, Yazoo, Tears For Fears, Human League, Visage, Ultravox, you kinda get the picture, and then heard Japan on TOTP.
A friend at school was in to Japan in a big way, so I started to work my way through their older albums, and managed to collect every single 7", 12", picture disc, gate fold, basically every single record released in the U.K and several imports later, I have about 100 Japan records!
I played in a band for about 10 years, was the keyboard player, with the friend from school who liked Japan. We managed to get a fan club, and quite a lot of interest, but originally the general observation was the image was a lot stronger then the music! Must have been all that eye liner and pouting!
So through Japan, Sylvian was obviously an extension of my music education, and his music speaks as loud to me today as it did over 26 years ago, when I first listened to him.
I am mightily peeved that he is not touring the U.S, God am I not happy about this, and am currently planning my escape route, and excuse, to Europe. It seems unconceivable that I will not see him live, I have done the same thing in the past, for the AFITF Tour, though not sure the wife will buy it this time round, this could get ugly!
For someone growing up in the very early 80's in London, I find life in Chicago a little vanilla. Christ, how many combinations of khaki's and plaid shirts can you wear!
I think that most people I socialize with, would have a complete heart attack if they saw photo's of me back in the 80's! But heh, you only live once right!
Peace and Love.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:32 am

Welcome Burnsjed. I've loved all yours posts already. It's great to see a fellow member who remembers Japan, DD and Depeche Mode the first time round when we were all young and fresh :D

I'm curious. What band were you in? I wonder if I ever saw you or read about you?

My fave Tubeway Army song is "Our Friends Electric" and my favourite Depeche Mode song will always be "Just Can't Get Enough".
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jun 09, 2007 9:14 am

People, you all have interesting lives! To be living in London in the 80's! That was my dream, but I was way too young for that ;)

And thans for all your bootleg posts!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jun 09, 2007 10:49 am

Hi Burnsjed!

What a very interesting post! That is very cool you were in a band and even had a fan club! I agree with Sisterlondon--If only I were born 30 years earlier! :)

I agree with you about the 80's fashion... It totally blows today's 'fashion' away! And I wish we could bring it back somehow! :)

Also... I will PM you in regards to your bootlegs... Thank you so so much for such a kind offer!

Anyway---Welcome! I hope you enjoy posting here! :D

-Kera
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jun 09, 2007 1:51 pm

Silver Moon wrote:I agree with Sisterlondon--If only I were born 30 years earlier! :)

Well, I was already in this world, but I was 8 in 1980, LOL!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Sat Jun 09, 2007 5:08 pm

Steerpike wrote:My fave Tubeway Army song is "Our Friends Electric" and my favourite Depeche Mode song will always be "Just Can't Get Enough".

shame on you - the song is "ARE friends electric?"

I recently bought the 2 DVD Old Grey whistle Test ol 1 with both that song and Japan doing Ghost(s) / superb

and yes I liked that song so much , well i still do!

cheers

Eric
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Steerpike on Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:23 pm

erictak wrote:
Steerpike wrote:My fave Tubeway Army song is "Our Friends Electric" and my favourite Depeche Mode song will always be "Just Can't Get Enough".

shame on you - the song is "ARE friends electric?"

I recently bought the 2 DVD Old Grey whistle Test ol 1 with both that song and Japan doing Ghost(s) / superb

and yes I liked that song so much , well i still do!

cheers

Eric

Well, it was over 25 years ago since I bought it...a girl can forget these things :?
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Hi from Burnsjed

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:55 pm

Burnsjed wrote:Hi all,
I guess this should have been my first post, but I seemed to get carried away else where!

Lol me too...

Hello Burnsjed, I am glad you're about regaling me with your memories of Japan concerts and getting me all jealous all the time.

Oh and people are boring just about everywhere nowadays with their dress unfortunately...so so dull - not that I am any more daring but still...

I own all smiths singles in 12 inch and 7 inch format (and miscellaneous rare ones) but these were the days when ebay was new to me and I had a unecessarily large student loan to eat through... I so wish I could do it for Japan but no cash now :( so I only have a few of their singles but I am working on it... *is more jealous*

Anyway waffle waffle

*waves* :D
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Burnsjed on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:09 pm

The Smiths are another of my favourite bands of all time.
I was fortunate to see Morrissey play in Chicago during the You are the Quarry tour, or whatever it was called! He was amazing, playing my favourite Smiths songs, "How Soon Is Now", "There Is A Light", and "Bigmouth Strikes Again", what a legend.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:34 pm

Burnsjed, you sound like a cool person and we are happy to have you over here in the US. Yes, it is boring and vanilla at times---I apologize for that.

You life so far sounds like it has been a good one---doing what you love obviously. Wish I had more time to do just that.. I treasure my lifelong hobby of loving music and could not imagine life without it.

A pleasure indeed to have you here on the site. Share your adventures with us.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:27 am

Burnsjed wrote:The Smiths are another of my favourite bands of all time.
I was fortunate to see Morrissey play in Chicago during the You are the Quarry tour, or whatever it was called! He was amazing, playing my favourite Smiths songs, "How Soon Is Now", "There Is A Light", and "Bigmouth Strikes Again", what a legend.

I saw Morrissey too in 2004 and he played How Soon is Now - I know this for sure because it was the first song but as it was so emotionally overwhelming for me I seem to have blocked the rest out somehow...??

Full memories of that night are hard to come by.

I think he might've played Bigmouth too (which I adore because how can you not?)

My friend thought I was hilarious because I cried almost from start to finish....awesome awesome stuff...
"This island of blue
Like water and sand
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:34 am

I went with a friend from Manchester, who also lives in Chicago now, and he hadn't seen Morrissey since the Simths had became famous! That was going back a long long time. He actually commented that Morrissey was better now then way back when he started.
But after the opening track "How Soon Is Now", I turned around to him and said, I might as well go home now, it can't get any better then this!
That song, is just amazing, from the intro, through to Morrissey's vocals/lyrics, just about the Simith's finest hour.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Mon Jun 11, 2007 5:39 pm

Burnsjed wrote:I went with a friend from Manchester, who also lives in Chicago now, and he hadn't seen Morrissey since the Simths had became famous! That was going back a long long time. He actually commented that Morrissey was better now then way back when he started.
But after the opening track "How Soon Is Now", I turned around to him and said, I might as well go home now, it can't get any better then this!
That song, is just amazing, from the intro, through to Morrissey's vocals/lyrics, just about the Simith's finest hour.

Incidentally How Soon is Now is the first song of theirs I ever heard but I heard it on an MTV commercial when I was lil and I never knew who did it. I was in love with it from that moment on regardless - cut forward 13 years or so and my best friend at the time copied me Hatful of Hollow and I found it.... :D

I have been in love with that song my whole life practically but only recently found out who sung it...

Beautiful stuff, although I think That Joke Isn't funny anymore is my favourite song of theirs of all of them...
"This island of blue
Like water and sand
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nath on Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:05 am

sorry to be in late...
hello and welcome!!!

Nath
Nath