nearly everything and a lot of nothing

Tell us a little bit about you...

nearly everything and a lot of nothing

Postby jenny taylia on Fri May 19, 2006 9:43 am

Love the new site here and think it's great that someone young has started it as I fall into the 'just turned 40' group!

I got into Japan in 1981 when i heard 'Quiet Life' and asked my mother to get me any japan album for Christmas. Luckily she brought 'Polaroids' and not either of the 1st 2 albums and I instantly fell in love with Japan's music. I probably would never have got into them if she had brought Adolescent Sex as I hated rock music at the time.

I've been a fan ever since and always look forward to buying any new releases when they come out although, to be honest, i've not been too impressed with the more recent releases.

I spent 10 'obsessed' years as a Sylvian 'clone' before finding my own identity, or, should I say, I looked in the mirror one day and realised how ridiculous I looked caked in make-up!! i'll post some old photos on here soon to give you all a laugh but, being 40, look more like the haggard Sylvian of today rather than the good looking one of days gone by...

I had the good fortune to bump into Steve Jansen in Camden Market in 1984 and had a 5 minute chat with him (he was buying some shoes) and he talked about his brother's new album which was coming out soon (Brilliant trees) I got his autograph and spent the next 2 weeks with my head spinning.

My favourite albums are 'Polaroids' & 'SOTB' and have loads of old memorabilia which i've collected ever since I got into Japan in '81.
jenny taylia
Regular
Regular

Postby proggrl on Fri May 19, 2006 10:08 am

Welcome, Jenny. That's quite a name you have there. You've never been a Bond girl have you??

I like your 'Sylvian Clone' story. Funny all through HS I did the Simon le Bon thing. He just had the coolest friggin hair!

So, what kind of shoes was Jansen buying? That's a good story!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jenny taylia on Fri May 19, 2006 10:28 am

I'd have to be a Bond 'Boy' i'm afraid as it sounded like a good name at the time but has caused gender confusion ever since! it would have made a great 'Carry On' name as well (you will probably only understand that comment if you are British though)

I'm afraid I never stuck around long enough to see what shoes he eventually brought as I had already interrupted his 'browsing' by approaching him for a chat and his Japanese girlfriend (I assumed it was his girlfriend) looked as though she was starting to get a little bit impatient at the till so I made my excuses and left him to get back to his browsing.

I liked 'some' of the Duran stuff but they seemed to disappear up their own bolt-holes by the third album (but I suppose Japan could be accused of that as well...) I thought Nick Rhodes looked the best in Duran - I wonder why!
jenny taylia
Regular
Regular

Re: nearly everything and a lot of nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 10:42 am

jenny taylia wrote:I had the good fortune to bump into Steve Jansen in Camden Market in 1984 and had a 5 minute chat with him (he was buying some shoes) and he talked about his brother's new album which was coming out soon (Brilliant trees) I got his autograph and spent the next 2 weeks with my head spinning.

Wha?!! you actually managed to string two words together when you bumped into him? I'd have turned maroon, and knocked over the contents of the next stall in my rush to run away in embarrassment!! :D

Tell me, was he better looking in the flesh? Sometimes I cant decide who is the more beautiful...him or David..hee hee..
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 3:31 pm

kinki.... david is more beautiful...LOL hee hee :lol:
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Hi Jenny Taylia!

I really like your name! Made me laugh! Almost as bad as me writing "Ben Dover" in my binder ;-)

Anyway, welcome to the boards! I would absolutely LOVE to see those pictures of you with a Blonde poof and makeup! Be careful posting them on here though... You may just get a few fangirls! ;-)

That is also just so cool that you met Steve Jansen! He has always seemed like a laid-back cool cat to me... Did he come off the way in real life? WOW I can't believe I actually am in contact with people who have met the band members! Imagine if I actually did meet them! They would have to haul me off on a stretcher...

I look forward to reading more of your posts!

Thanks again,

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Fri May 19, 2006 8:16 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Hi Jenny Taylia!

I really like your name! Made me laugh! Almost as bad as me writing "Ben Dover" in my binder ;-)

Don't forget his Scottish mate, Phil McKrevis. :P

Sorry about messing up the gender there, Mr. Taylia, but I suspect with these boys it's to be expected. Please forgive. :oops:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 11:15 pm

Welcome, and can't wait for those pictures!!!

Hey, the guys are all yummy in their own way, but David rocks my world. Steve always had the greatest pout going on, I say "had" but he probably still does from time to time..............
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sun May 21, 2006 5:44 am

Silver Moon wrote:Imagine if I actually did meet them! They would have to haul me off on a stretcher...
-Kera-

I'd be on the next stretcher to you, missus!

Cant wait to see your pics Jenny T...

-------

In other news, I think Steve has aged slightly better than David (waits for barrage of insults :lol: ) but David still looks amazing...
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun May 21, 2006 6:32 pm

kinki wrote:
Silver Moon wrote:Imagine if I actually did meet them! They would have to haul me off on a stretcher...
-Kera-

I'd be on the next stretcher to you, missus!

Cant wait to see your pics Jenny T...

-------

In other news, I think Steve has aged slightly better than David (waits for barrage of insults :lol: ) but David still looks amazing...

I think both of them look great on the Nine Horses pics.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun May 21, 2006 6:39 pm

Oh yes, they absolutely do! They look fantastic! And I noticed that David Sylvian has a little bit of the "swoosh" going on with his hair again!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Sun May 21, 2006 6:48 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Oh yes, they absolutely do! They look fantastic! And I noticed that David Sylvian has a little bit of the "swoosh" going on with his hair again!

-Kera-

I love those pics because all around. Their hair, their suits, the "Five O'clock shadow" they all have---very nice. I use them as wallpaper from time to time 8)
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

piccie at last

Postby jenny taylia on Tue May 30, 2006 10:57 am

Sorry it's taken soooooooooooooo long to reply but i can't access the site from home and have been really busy at work.

He (Steve Jansen) seemed really down to earth when I met him but also very shy and quite quiet. You have to understand that i'm a bloke so it's difficult for me to say if he was good looking or not, or if he was better looking than his brother. Therefore, I will but we have to also talk about rugby after just so I can appear "macho" again, so here goes... Yes, he was very good looking in the flesh and I always thought he was more naturally good looking than David. Anyway, how do you rate England's chances of winning the Rugby World Cup in France next year and do you know any good rugby drinking songs!

I was nervous when I approached him but it was a "now or never" situation and am eternally glad I kept calm and spoke to him but I was in a daze for weeks after.

as requested, i've attached a rare picture of myself in full Sylvian clone makeup in my younger days. I haven't looked at this picture for years and it looks like I should really have been called Jenny and not my real name which coincidentally is David!
jenny taylia
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue May 30, 2006 4:00 pm

jenny thanks for telling us that story..that is sooooo cool :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: piccie at last

Postby Silver Moon on Tue May 30, 2006 11:59 pm

jenny taylia wrote:as requested, i've attached a rare picture of myself in full Sylvian clone makeup in my younger days. I haven't looked at this picture for years and it looks like I should really have been called Jenny and not my real name which coincidentally is David!

Hey Jen!

Your picture is so awesome! You look so much like David Sylvian! I just got my hair done in a Sylvian type of style today too, and you can see it in my personal gallery.

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself