Hi from San Jose, CA

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hi from San Jose, CA

Postby quietlife70 on Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:23 pm

Hello,
Im new here, I found Japan way back in the 80's when I was reading Star Hits Magazine..lol
I saw this band that looked like Duran Duran and this Nick Rhodes look a like that caught my attention since I was a huge Duran fan...
Soooo my local Tower Records had an import section and they had all of Japan's albums and I always looked but never bought any because they were expensive, then one day I did and my life changed.
It was a toss up...Polaroids or Tin Drum....both covers were amazing and artistic and alluring.
I picked Tin Drum and it was nothing like I expected, of course back then there wasn't itunes or amazon to at least hear the music before buying...so I took it all in one evening.
I loved the synths, and the avant garde sound of chord progressions, and the deep sylvian voice and those world drum rhythms...I was hooked.
next I bought Oil On Canvas on cassette and that one sat in my walkman forever...of course right after that I bought Polaroids, then Assemblage and Brillant Trees etc...
Anyways I was in a band and we were obsessed with Japan in high school (Tim Drum) and everyone thought we were crazy cuz we talked about them all the time and when Gone To Earth came out, I bought it for my bandmate and he was running through the halls with the Vinyl album in the air...oh such great memories.
Anyways my love for them is still the same at age 43, I still buy Sylvian's work as it is released..Not the biggest fan of his current work, but I appreciate his progression and will always support him.
I wish I had friends in my neighborhood who understood my obsession with the music, but Im alone on that one...I thought it would be good to meet people in the forum and just talk about Japan/Sylvian while Im bored here at work ;-)
I live in San Jose, Ca.
I am a musican, I play synths and sing as well...here is my music if you want to hear it....
http://quietlife70.bandcamp.com/
Thanks for reading..
Rod
quietlife70
Noob
Noob

Re: Hi from San Jose, CA

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:12 pm

quietlife70 wrote:back then there wasn't itunes or amazon to at least hear the music before buying...so I took it all in one evening.

Ah! the good old days. :-D

Hello and welcome.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Serotonin on Sun Feb 09, 2014 6:08 am

Hello Ron,

Welcome and best wishes with your music :D
Serotonin
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Blemished on Sun Feb 09, 2014 5:43 pm

Hi Ron. Welcome onboard.

Always good to hear stories about discovering the music. Good luck with yours.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby quietlife70 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 12:50 pm

artworks-000003141121-4xdpbw-t500x500.jpg
artworks-000003141121-4xdpbw-t500x500.jpg (30.62 KiB) Viewed 11496 times
Thank You, Thank You...
quietlife70
Noob
Noob

Return to Introduce Yourself