Pinch me, I'm dreaming!!!!

Tell us a little bit about you...

Pinch me, I'm dreaming!!!!

Postby krausy on Wed May 17, 2006 11:27 pm

Silver Moon, you rock!!!!!!!!

Besides having a screen name of one of my favorite songs---this site is soooo awesome and was sooo very needed----thank you so much!!!

My real name is Anne, and I will be 40 this July. I live in NC on the coast about an hour and half northeast of Wilmington and three hours from Raleigh.

I am a re-kindled Japan/Sylvian et al fan from the early eighties, having had the same experience of seeing Nick Rhodes and Simon LeBon's guest VJ stint on MTV and the "Visions of China" video. Immediately went out and acquired Tin Drum and loved it---sooo totally different from anything else I was listening to, which was a bit of everything. MTV really opened a lot of doors for me and everyone else as far as music was concerned. I discovered my other great "loves" there---Split Enz, INXS, Roxy, Duran Duran, Kate Bush, Peter Gabriel, Tears for Fears---and the list goes on and on and on.............................

Anyway, for the past twenty-some years, I have only owned Tin Drum and Sylvian's Gone to Earth, why I really can't explain--guess my head was in another place and style for a while---but most likely just busy trying to finish college and dealing with life..............

Earlier this year I was chatting on a Duran Duran fan community and met another fan who just happened to have a picture of David in her sig. We got to talking about that, and the next thing I knew, I was grabbing up every past and present Japan/Sylvian cd I could get my hands on. It was like discovering something brand new--at least new to me. I had never heard the first two Japan albums before and was completely blown away--the late seventies groove and style was addictive. From there I made my "journey" through all the albums and into David's solo work, and must say it all fits me like a glove!!!! A day doesn't often go by without listening to something Japan/Sylvian related.

My next adventure will be to delve into the solo work of Mick, Richard, Rob and Steve!!!!!!

Very happy to meet everyone and looking forward to some fun times in here. We have such a diverse group already, and everyone has something to contribute, and stories to tell.

and yes, add me to the list of those who find David very pleasing to the eye. I actually think all of them are beautiful in their own way though.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Pinch me, I'm dreaming!!!!

Postby kinki on Thu May 18, 2006 4:19 am

krausy wrote:this site is sooo very needed.

Too right - It's funny how there seem to be loads of die hard Japan/Sylvian et al fans out there-probably all lonely and pathetic thinking they're the only ones....hehehe...but they've got a chance to come out of the woodwork now eh?!!... :D

And Anne...it's nice to meet another (almost) 40 something - but wait - I would imagine there are quite a few on here....? :wink:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Thu May 18, 2006 2:18 pm

Yep, right now as I type it is sitting at roughly 45% in the 31-40 age range. What I am impressed by is the number of younger fans, and the fact that this site was started by one of them!!!!! Tres cool!!!

I often feel like the only person in my county (or my entire state) to be into a particular band, so the internet has been a lifesaver for me, as far as finding other fans, as well as finding cds, dvds, memoribilia, etc that I would NEVER find here in NC!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Thu May 18, 2006 6:10 pm

krausy wrote:I often feel like the only person in my county (or my entire state) to be into a particular band, so the internet has been a lifesaver for me, as far as finding other fans, as well as finding cds, dvds, memoribilia, etc that I would NEVER find here in NC!!!!

That's so true for me, too; I wouldn't have any Japan or Sylvian material if it weren't for the internet. I live in North Florida, where everyone is into either country or rap (gag and gag :shock:). The only people who know of either are people whom I've introduced to the music. :wink: It's always interesting going into record stores and asking if they have any Japan.

"Do you carry any Japan?"
"You mean Japanese music? Sure we have Japanese music."
"...No. The band called Japan. Their music."
"There's a band called Japan?"
"..."
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu May 18, 2006 11:23 pm

ANNE I FOUND HEAVEN!!!!! I could totally kiss you for telling me about this site! Can you believe we have a site dedicated to david (japan) again. Ok ok... i love japan but really my heart belongs to david's solo material.

So glad I bumped into you tonight on AIM! Man, you rock sista! And, kudos on the new house!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 8:36 am

godisinthesilences wrote:ANNE I FOUND HEAVEN!!!!! I could totally kiss you for telling me about this site! Can you believe we have a site dedicated to david (japan) again. Ok ok... i love japan but really my heart belongs to david's solo material.

So glad I bumped into you tonight on AIM! Man, you rock sista! And, kudos on the new house!!!!

Thank you my dear. Glad you made it over here since the T-storm interrupted our chat. I knew you would love it over here!!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 8:43 am

lastgoldstar wrote:
krausy wrote:I often feel like the only person in my county (or my entire state) to be into a particular band, so the internet has been a lifesaver for me, as far as finding other fans, as well as finding cds, dvds, memoribilia, etc that I would NEVER find here in NC!!!!

That's so true for me, too; I wouldn't have any Japan or Sylvian material if it weren't for the internet. I live in North Florida, where everyone is into either country or rap (gag and gag :shock:). The only people who know of either are people whom I've introduced to the music. :wink: It's always interesting going into record stores and asking if they have any Japan.

"Do you carry any Japan?"
"You mean Japanese music? Sure we have Japanese music."
"...No. The band called Japan. Their music."
"There's a band called Japan?"
"..."

Laughing out loud on that one because I have heard that too many times to mention!!!! We have an On-Cue store here (sister store to Sam Goody)and I have stopped going in for two reasons: much easier to find what I want online, and also because the people that work there are so condescending and rude. They think the only things you should ask about are what THEY listen to, so I don't bother anymore. No wonder the record store chains are becoming extinct!!!

Last time I had fun in a record store was back in the 80's when our shopping center had one in a corner space, and a schoolmate of mine worked there--we were basically two of the "misunderstoods" in school---and we would discover all this really great new music. What a great time that was!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 10:46 am

krausy wrote:What I am impressed by is the number of younger fans, and the fact that this site was started by one of them!!!!! Tres cool!!!

Me too...*raises a glass to Kera and the new generation of Sylvian worshippers* :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri May 19, 2006 10:55 am

We're going to take over the world, this community. 8) Everyone's going to realise the truth and join us. And we'll be unstoppable!

Okay, maybe that's just wishful thinking. But it'd be neat. :-D
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 10:57 am

The whole world with blonde floppy hair and lipstick....bring it on...! :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 3:13 pm

would you believe a friend of mine, whom I became friends with over David, says his wife finds david BORING!!!!

Ok now that .... I just don't get!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Fri May 19, 2006 11:09 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:would you believe a friend of mine, whom I became friends with over David, says his wife finds david BORING!!!!

um, I just don't understand that!!!! That's okay though, more for us to love----lol
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sun May 21, 2006 5:48 am

godisinthesilences wrote:would you believe a friend of mine, whom I became friends with over David, says his wife finds david BORING!!!!

People either 'get' Japan or they dont. My best friend tolerates and takes the p*ss out of my adoration for them but basically sees them as another superficial new romantic band and thinks David is a big pointless fop..
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun May 21, 2006 8:38 am

Wha--??! That's horrible! Oh well, I have some good news for you- I played some David Sylvian for a friend of mine last night and she LOVES him! Infact, we listened to three albums, (Brilliant Trees, Gone to Earth, and Secrets of the Beehive) and she begged to borrow them! I only let her borrow "Secrets of the Beehive" But she thinks his music is beautiful...

YAY! Finaly, someone my age who appreciates him!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby krausy on Sun May 21, 2006 6:31 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Wha--??! That's horrible! Oh well, I have some good news for you- I played some David Sylvian for a friend of mine last night and she LOVES him! Infact, we listened to three albums, (Brilliant Trees, Gone to Earth, and Secrets of the Beehive) and she begged to borrow them! I only let her borrow "Secrets of the Beehive" But she thinks his music is beautiful...

YAY! Finaly, someone my age who appreciates him!

-Kera-

Wow----Nashville has some smart young peeps living there!!!!! That is great Kera. Now you two can have fun listening together. Me, I just sit here and listen and look at my Japan/David pics or drive and listen---all by my lonesome :cry:

However, I do have my sista Laura to chat with online--we're not in the same room but we may as well be!!!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself