Here goes...gokartmozart here! Howdy!

Tell us a little bit about you...

Here goes...gokartmozart here! Howdy!

Postby gokartmozart on Wed Nov 08, 2006 12:13 am

Hi everyone. Been lurking for a week or so, posted a few times. Kera even said "HI", so I feel bad I haven't introduce myself. These intros are always a little intimidating I must confess. But here goes...(gulp)...

Been around for a while, saw and participated on the fringes of the local (Houston) punk/new wave scene back in the late 70s/early 80s. A member of a totally forgotten band 'New Heroes' (new wave/new romantics/cool Bowie LP-kinda thing). Discovered that the bass guitar and I were not an artistic statement. But music and local shows got me through a University education in almost sane fashion. Art school graduate working in bookselling, retail 'hades'...

Discovered Japan during a summer in England (1982). Didn't see them then nor ever, just bought the Virgin LPs. Mick's 'Dreams of Reason Produce Monsters' was one of my first CD purchases.

Fast forward to 1993... after the failure of my second long-term relationship began to study Buddhist mediation. A year later I am living in a monastery in rural Thailand. Through a kind friend, I locate and gain acceptance to two Japanese Zen Centers (a dozo in Chiba City and a 300 yr old Rinzai Zen monastery outside Okayama). Traveled alot throughout SE Asia and visited all the big cities and notable sights in Japan. The band Japan did not enter my mind for a moment at that time. 2 years later, back in Texas...

Present:
Working for a semiconductor company (hint: we are famous for calculators and DLP tv chips), married to an India-born beauty (a decade on) and a 19 yr old stepson in university. Love vintage English motorbikes (ride '73 Norton Commando), loads of music styles and rugby. Interests include red wine of all varietials, indy films, James Joyce and Burroughs, Robert Haas (the poet), vegetarian spicy food, the stray dog who has been hanging out at our house for the last 7 yrs, Nine Horses (some of you may have heard of this band of musicians)...

Still awake? Thanks to Kera and all of you for your info and sharing on this forum. Now its back to 'The Brown Bunny' which Netflix has chosen to send to me to view, then a Samuel Smith and beddy-bye.

-David
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Nov 08, 2006 10:58 am

Hello again,

Wow! It sounds like you have lived quite an interesting life... How exciting! I love your introduction, it was great!

... Also, based on the fact that you live in Texas, and work for a company that makes calculators... I think I have a pretty good guess on the company! And if it is what I think it is, I have one of those calculators--and they are quite confusing! :-D

Again, welcome! I will really be looking forward to reading more of your posts.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lastgoldstar on Thu Nov 09, 2006 11:09 am

Nice introduction, and welcome!
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Thu Nov 09, 2006 3:12 pm

Welcome!!!

I'm a bit off lately, but welcome anyway! :D
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:29 am

wow fantastic! Welcome!
I'm fascinated by your buddhist experience.... been doing some reading in it myself.
So happy you came out of the shadows!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Mon Nov 13, 2006 12:16 am

Thanks everyone for the warm welcomes. This is one fantastic site. And I don't just mean the music forums. Me happy :)
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:22 am

Nice to meet you :D
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Sat Nov 18, 2006 12:54 pm

A belated "hello" to you :-)

Best wishes,

Lee
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Sat Nov 18, 2006 10:10 pm

and a really belated hello and welcome from me!!!!!

Very interesting bio indeed. Good for you. I love people who just go out and do stuff and have the opportunity to learn like that. Awesome!!!

Visit when you can--great bunch of people here and we always manage to have some fun. :wink:
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself