Greetings everyone!

Tell us a little bit about you...

Greetings everyone!

Postby astropos on Tue Sep 26, 2006 6:47 pm

I discovered this website through a link at the David Sylvian livejournal. I was looking for a place like this before but couldn't find any forum I would stick to. Hopefully this site can offer me some great talks about both David Sylvian/Japan. I was hooked on David Sylvian's music for some time, before I discovered Japan. So since I'm kinda new to Japan's music I hope to get some recommendations. Like, what's the best album to start with as a 'beginner'?
I had a dream about this place.
astropos
Noob
Noob

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Sep 26, 2006 7:40 pm

Hello!

Welcome to the boards! I hope you enjoy posting and interecting with the community here!

.... As a first Japan album, I would say Tin Drum or Gentlemen Take Polaroids....

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:15 am

Hello. I'm a newbie too!!! First album? I'd recommend "Tin Drum" without a doubt. For me its the classic Japan record and the one that's worthy of all the praise it recieved on release.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Wed Sep 27, 2006 9:34 am

Hello astropos and welcome!!

Well, although I agree with Simon about what he said on Tin Drum , I recommend Gentlemen take polaroids or even Quiet Life for a "beginner". It's really interesting to discover how their sound developed through the years...although, for that reason, you could start with Adolescent Sex as well!!! :lol:
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Wed Sep 27, 2006 11:09 am

Hello and welcome. :D If your starting a Japan collection start with Quiet Life then Adolescent sex. They are the easiest albums to get into.
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:10 pm

I agree with you all, definitely Tin Drum somewhere at the top of the list, and then when you feel ready, head to the first two albums, especially if you are in a playful mood. When I heard them I was blown away---I just love the groove of both of them. I must say they are very different from later work but shows the talent in it's beginning stages. They were brilliant and meant to be together from the start in my opinion.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: reply

Postby lastgoldstar on Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:07 pm

Welcome!

japanfan wrote:Hello and welcome. :D If your starting a Japan collection start with Quiet Life then Adolescent sex. They are the easiest albums to get into.

I agree, those were my first two Japan albums.

And I agree with Poisoned, too. If you start with Tin Drum, you can't hear how the band progressed over the years, which is rather interesting.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby fletchertronics on Sat Sep 30, 2006 7:52 am

Hello to you... :)
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Introduce Yourself