Doffing My Cap...

Tell us a little bit about you...

Doffing My Cap...

Postby MoodyB on Tue May 09, 2006 9:34 pm

Well, I suppose I should take a deep bow and formally introduce myself!

My name is Chris and I've been a fan (for want of a better term) of Japan & Sylvian since I was about eleven years old.
At first, Japan were amongst the collection of other bands that I liked at the time (early eighties) until two things happened...
...The first of which was when I went to a disco with my friends and the DJ announced "something new", the song that was played was "The Art Of Parties".
Myself and all of my friends all turned to each other at the same time and went "what the bloody hell is this?!". We'd never heard anything like it before!
The next day we went looking for the 12" (which I still have to this day) and played it all day long!
The second thing was the first time I heard "Ghosts", it went straight to me and almost instantly changed me. I wrote my very first song after hearing it and was totally hooked! I think I went out and got myself a "Wedge" haircut the next day!

The next important moment for me was "Brilliant Trees", it remains my favourite album of all time, even after all these years. It led me to a process of questioning and introspection that has continued to guide me through my adult life.

David is in my mind the quintessential uncompromising artist, following his music over the years, seeing it grow and mature is truly inspiring. The level of emotional honesty in the work truly moves me beyond meaningful explanation.

I have been fortunate to meet the various ex members of Japan over the years and I must say in all honesty that they were very gracious indeed and fascinating to talk to.
A couple of years ago, I decided that I would approach David's manager with a view to photographing David (my background is in photography) to which he agreed.
This was such a thrilling moment, there I was a grown man feeling like a boy again!
In any case, I wanted to somehow capture the atmosphere of his music and presence, rather than simply documenting in real terms.
There's a link within this site to some of the photographs if you're interested (sorry the site doesn't work for Mac).

OK, that's a brief history for you!

All the very best,
Chris
Last edited by MoodyB on Wed May 10, 2006 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Tue May 09, 2006 10:27 pm

Hmmm, maybe I should consider wearing a cap myself, hair is thinning a bit on top, so position those spotlights carefully :lol:

I 'discovered' Sylvian & Japan with the purchase of 'I Second That Emotion' on Red Vinyl 7" back in oooh, whenever it was released. To tell the truth, I bought it because I was collecting coloured vinyls at the time (who am I trying to kid - I still do!!!) Anyway, I played it at a mates house, he wasn't too impressed (we would have been about 12 I suppose) but I loved it - flipped it over and discovered Quiet Life - I was hooked!

Since then I have bought pretty much anything Japan/Sylvian related. It ha introduced me to a whole lot of other great music - and I suppose moulded my musical taste, hence my large Eno/Hassell/Porcupine Tree collections etc.

Secrets Of The Beehive was released a couple of weeks after I started college, and along with Kate Bush's Hounds Of Love and Talk Talk's (slightly later) Spirit Of Eden formed the backbone of my favourite music.

I'm now :oops: 38, still a rabid music fan. I never managed to see Japan live (difficult being a young country boy) but I've managed to catch all of them (apart from Rob Dean) at some point. I've been lucky enough to see Sylvian on every tour since 88 - mostly on more than one date - a particular highlight was being in the front row at Bristol on the FITF tour.

I am already a member of several Japan/Sylvian Yahoo Groups, so some of you might recognise the name - I'm always (I meant to type 'also' but always is probably more accurate) a regular on the Porcupine Tree Forum - so hello to anyone from there <waves>

Is that enough?

Sonic

Oh, by the way, I found you all here through Myspace too feel free to pop over and say hi!
http://www.myspace.com/sonicchronicler
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue May 09, 2006 11:12 pm

Hey Moody!

That's so cool how you got into David Sylvian when you were eleven! I would have never been that cool...
Anyway, I am very interested in those pictures you were talking about- How about for us poor Mac users you can upload them to your personal gallery... I would really like to see them! The one you posted on my myspace was incredible!

Also, I'm glad to see so many posts on here! Thanks so much!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Wed May 10, 2006 10:53 am

Well, I have too much hair to fit under a cap, but I'll put my introduction here anyway.

I'm Krystine, a 29 year old (we'll just pretend I wrote this 5 years ago, pretty amazing of me since this is a new forum, but I'm well ahead of my time! :D) from MA, currently residing in FL having fun in the sun. A huge music fan and multi-media producer, although I'm currently creating learning programs for a financial firm and graphics/animations for a forensics training facility. Sounds like fun, eh?

Well, my love for the music that brings us all here started with 5 British boys, that, being a female teenager in the 80's, was my duty to fawn over, collectively called Duran Duran. It also includes MTV, which amazingly enough at the time lived up to it's name. MTV used to have some cool VJ's and even cooler were the guest VJ's. Being the extreme Duranie that I was (and still partially am), I was not missing Simon and Nick's Guest VJ spot. Well, being the great musicians that they are and having all the right influences, they played some killer videos and got me into a lot of good music. One of those being, of course, Japan - Visions of China. I will now thank MoodyB for putting that on YouTube, it's been a while since I've seen it. Anyway... my initial reaction to that video (other than finding Mr. Sylvian to be VERY beautiful):
:shock: What is this?? And why don't I own more?? Well, Nick and Simon dutifully explained what it was and I went about fixing the latter question. The next day. I picked up Tin Drum and everything else Japan that the record store had. Art of Parties 12" and something else. It just built from there and they were certainly in my top 10 artists.

Well, as it happened, my musical tastes changed (matured? Me? I doubt it; we'll stick with 'changed') with the introduction to Marillion and other progressive bands. I started to fall out with the Duran/Cure/Japan phase, until - through my progressive searches - I rediscovered Mr. Sylvian. Here's where I again agree with MoodyB in that it really amazed me the way he grew and matured (as I say, his style changed to suit my taste, and I'm sure that's what he was going for :roll:)

So I dove back into Sylvian's solo work, back in with Japan and almost about anything to do with any of them. How excited was I to learn that the one and only Mr. Barbieri was playing with one of my new favourite bands?! V E R Y! Have they moulded my musical taste? No, that's no where near moulded! I listen to anything. But they have certainly influenced it and expanded it.

I have to wave back to my fellow Porcupine Tree Forum pal, Mr. Sonic. I'm also always a regular there and the other yahoo groups he mentions (though as krys_papp, dunno who stole my proggrl moniker there but I want it back!).

And also like Sonic, I discovered this place through myspace and welcome any other JapanSylvian addicts to drop by and say hi and learn more about lil ol' ME. :)

www.myspace.com/proggrl

Enjoy. :)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 10, 2006 9:11 pm

Hi Proggrl, and welcome!

Visions of China is also among my favorite Japan songs! I love the video just as well! (Yes, Mr. Sylvian is gorgeous in that video! :-D ) I hope you enjoy the site, and I look forward to reading more of your posts! I will also add you on myspazz.

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Wed May 10, 2006 9:51 pm

Thanks Kera!

This is a great site and I'm enjoying it so far. Between the PT Forum and this one, I don't know how I'll ever get any work done! :smt084

Cheers,
-proggrl.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby nine polaroids on Thu May 11, 2006 5:47 pm

great site, love the colour (makes my computer look good :) )

its also very neat and effective.

anthony.
nine polaroids
Noob
Noob

Postby Silver Moon on Thu May 11, 2006 7:06 pm

Welcome Nine Polaroids! And thank you for the kind words. Glad to see more fans! Keep posting!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby MoodyB on Sun May 14, 2006 9:32 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Hey Moody!

That's so cool how you got into David Sylvian when you were eleven! I would have never been that cool...
Anyway, I am very interested in those pictures you were talking about- How about for us poor Mac users you can upload them to your personal gallery... I would really like to see them! The one you posted on my myspace was incredible!

Also, I'm glad to see so many posts on here! Thanks so much!

-Kera-

I have uploaded some of the pictures to my personal gallery here, I would've done more but I used up my quota! ;-)
There's also one in David's general gallery here.

Chris
x
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun May 14, 2006 9:55 pm

Thank you so so much! Those... Pictures... Are... INCREDIBLE! You are an excellent photographer! :-D

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby MoodyB on Sun May 14, 2006 10:08 pm

Silver Moon wrote:Thank you so so much! Those... Pictures... Are... INCREDIBLE! You are an excellent photographer! :-D

-Kera-

Thank you!

*Blushes*

MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Rob on Wed May 17, 2006 4:33 pm

Hi all,

my name is Rob and I found this site through a link posted on another great forum called Pioneers. If you have not had the chance to check it out, I recommend that you do as it can get quite lively.

Anyway, back to me. I'm 37 years old and have been following Japan since I was about 14. My first experience of Japan was I Second That Emotion and then I bought Visions Of China without hearing it. I was hooked. I built up the back catalogue and have bought everything else on release ever since.

I have never seen Japan live but have managed to see the solo members in various permutations since the split. My fave tour was the In Praise Of Shamans tour. The sound those musicians made from the stage was awesome and has never been equalled on any subsequent Sylvian tour. Mark Isham and David Torn spread their magic fairy dust over the songs and made them sparkle especially Ishams muted trumpet. Miles Davies would be proud!

Lots of people on other forums seem to forget that Japan was 4 or 5 musicians and not just Sylvian. Without Mick, Richard and Steve, David would not be in the position he is in today and I hope that this forum gives them equal attention. Mick's new ep is excellent and I highly recommend it and I hope he reschedules his UK tour later on in the year.

Well, I'm wittering on now. This site looks great and I love the video section especially the Mick Karn ballet. How cool was that! Not seen that before. Please post more gems like that please. Well, that's my two penneth.

Rob
Rob
Noob
Noob

Return to Introduce Yourself