Late intro

Tell us a little bit about you...

Late intro

Postby Savoy on Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:47 pm

Hello everyone, I'm Savoy. Just in case the photo flood didn't give it away already, haha.

My real name is Sarah and I'm from NYC. I turned 18 in March and I'm starting college on the 31st, and though I like to pretend I'm well-adjusted and chill, I'm a huge dope and I'll probably end up setting my dorm room on fire while using my illegal CrockPot.

But Japan... I'm still new to loving the boys and I'm trying to saturate myself with everything Japan! I can't remember the first time I came across them - I do remember that my music provider only had Quiet Life and Tin Drum. I listened to Quiet Life and was only taken with "Quiet Life" and "Alien"... especially "Alien", with the bizarre, compelling bassline. (Foreshadowing?) Tin Drum hadn't done anything for me. I took the two Quiet Life tracks with me to Europe on a mix CD and now "Quiet Life" reminds me of the summer of 2005...
Japan got pushed to the back-burner and I forgot about them until a month ago. Searching for new music, the image of the Quiet Life cover and David's silvery hair came to me and I went to YouTube to give them a second chance. I found some Old Grey Whistle Test spots, and they were interesting enough. And then... Mick Karn and Angie Bowie. I'm an old Bowiephile and Angie's a f*cking harpy so I thought "Oh boy, this should be rich..." and Angie's first few lines are as puerile as I expected...

Then out of nowhere Mick Karn pops a riff that was so slithery and addictive that I sat, stunned, and stopped the video where it was and rewound. Over and over. He handled it like it was nothing. God, he was really cool... I was starting to warm up to him very quickly. My Angie disgust vanished - I tunnel-visioned on Mick, and suddenly, watching him made me feel like I was melting like an ice cream cone in July. I went back to Tin Drum and listened for the fascinating bass playing. Each track had something fantastic and fresh for me... when I saw the Oil On Canvas video fo "Art of Parties" - I love it when he slaps the G string in the refrain - I became an official freak for Mick Karn, and Japan. :D

So that's how I became infatuated with the Band of the Rising Sun. I'm wearing black Chinaflats with red socks now like the heartsore fangirl I am.

And Kera, this site is the bomb dot com.
"I will not move my army without onions."
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:45 pm

Hello Savoy!! haha!

Great story!! I'm glad we have another young one here!!
We have some Mick Karn-addicted's here...so you'll have fun!!
Welcome to the forum , and thanks a lot for the pictures!!!!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:32 pm

hey girl..... are you a pisces by any chance????
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Savoy on Mon Jul 31, 2006 3:56 pm

Yeah gods, I'm a Piscean, gotta love the mutable Fishes.
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:04 pm

I'm with you on that one... I'm a Pisces too... as is our wonderfully amazing GOD David
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:10 pm

Awesome! So glad to find another Mick addict!! He really is stunning, isn't he??

And welcome to the boards! Your pictures are so wonderful, Many many thanks!!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Re: Late intro

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:01 am

[quote="Savoy"]I love it when he slaps the G string in the refrain/quote]

Awesome, that's my absolute favourite part of the song! Especially watching it in Oil on Canvas.

And I start college this month, too. I'm something like a freshmen with sophomore status (because I'm a nerd and went full out dual-enrollment in high school), whatever they tell me. Except I'm staying at home and leeching off my parents. Where are you going to school?
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Savoy on Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:38 pm

I'm going to Hampshire college in Amherst, Mass. Amherst college was my first choice, but I'm going to penetrate its defenses with the Five College cross-courses. Gon' gitchu, Amherst.

Dual enrollment? That rules. That would have been a dream come true. I took an NYU astronomy course junior year and I was dispropotionately hyped about it.
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Fri Aug 04, 2006 10:44 pm

Welcome Savoy, and thanks for the intro. I am constantly impressed by the amount of young people here and listening to such great music!!!! I am an old lady of 40 but I feel (and act like) I am twenty-something, or at least try to most of the time, otherwise I would probably be too cynical and despondent from taking life waaay too seriously......................

Best of luck to everyone with college.

Kinki is a big Mick fan as well, and when she gets back (if she ever gets back) you and she will get on like sisters!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:57 pm

Welcome, Savoy! Make mah funk the P-Funk! ;-)
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Return to Introduce Yourself