Desperately

Tell us a little bit about you...

Desperately

Postby marcello09 on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:52 pm

Hello all! Name's Marcello, located near Detroit in Midwestern USA. Japan fan since '81 or so, desperately wanted to look like David (I bought Clinique makeup) and desperately wanted to sound like Mick (I bought a Yamaha fretless bass). Failed on both counts. Oh well.

Desperately miss the forums at the dearly-departed davidsylvian.net, but thrilled to have found a new gathering place for coversations about all things Japanese. Many thanks to Kera for putting this together!

cheers, Marcello :-)
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Yay, another fan from the 80s

Postby Darkest Dreamer on Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:56 pm

Welcome Marcello! Have you got any photos of yourself trying to look like David? Love to see them.

What other bands did you like in the 80s? I was a big Simple Minds fan also.
"I don't want to be alone with all my darkest dreaming..."
Darkest Dreamer
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:41 pm

Hey Marcello---I believe we have talked before on the .net site and via email to keep in touch on anything Japan/Sylvian related. So good to see you made it over here. We have a great group here from all over and should be able to stayed tuned for whatever happens next.

Enjoy your visits!!!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:57 pm

Welcome Marcello!!

I am also trying to look like David Sylvian and sound like Mick Karn! It's a big big job but it's so much fun!!

I hope you enjoy posting here... I am so glad to have new members and I thank you for your kind words and for joining!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 30, 2006 10:58 am

hey marcello..... if your who i think you are... (Marcello Mastrioni?) i'm so super glad you found us here!!!!! You rock!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:55 pm

Thank you for all the warm welcomes, everyone! So nice to know that I'm among friends, some new, some old.

Yes, Darkest Dreamer, I do have some photos of me trying to look like Sylvian. I haven't scanned them, tho, and I'm not in a hurry to since I looked like Nick Rhodes after a three-day binge! Very not attractive, I'm afraid.

Other "eighties" bands that occasionally visit my turntable: Talk Talk, Gary Numan, Psychedelic Furs... and from this side of the Atlantic, I loved Van Halen (with David Lee Roth), Run-DMC and almost any Minneapolis Funk (Prince, The Time, Jesse Johnson, and Ingrid's one and only release gets a spin every once in a while).

I should look into Simple Minds, tho. I'm familiar with their "hits", but I've heard wonderful things about their less-well-known first few albums ("Reel to Real Cacophony" and the like). Have you listened to these albums much? Any thoughts?

Kera, I've seen your photos on MySpace (which is how I found this site), and you've got the Sylvian look NAILED!!! Put a bowl of rice in one hand, chopsticks in the other and a picture of Chairman Mao on the wall and you'd have me fooled. But what's up with the bass? You play?

godisinthesilences & krausy: yup, it's me, Marcello Mastroianni, the one who isn't famous and doesn't speak a word of Italian. So nice to have reconnected with both of you! :-)

cheers, all!

-- Marcello
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Simple Minds

Postby Darkest Dreamer on Sun Jul 30, 2006 4:54 pm

Hey Marcello,

Simple Minds have some great stuff, and actually, I only like the earlier work. I was in love with New Gold Dream 81,82,83,84 and was lucky to see them in 1984 doing the music from this album. It was amazing and Jim Kerr had his cute new wave haircut (all hanging over his eye).

Anyway, I really enjoyed Real to Real Cacophony, Sister Feelings Call, Sons & Fascination, New Gold Dream (still my fav., especially
Promised you a Miracle
) up to Sparkle in the Rain (
Book of Brilliant Things
is a great song). Give them a listen!
"I don't want to be alone with all my darkest dreaming..."
Darkest Dreamer
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jul 30, 2006 5:46 pm

YEAH MARCELLO.... SO GLAD YOU FOUND US!!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Poisoned_Apathy on Mon Jul 31, 2006 12:04 pm

Welcome!!!

I'm Maria!! Hope you'll have a nice time here!
Poisoned_Apathy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Aug 04, 2006 12:03 am

Welcome!

I try to look like David, and fail miserably. Not to be, maybe. :roll:
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself