Hello

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hello

Postby InVogue on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:18 pm

Hi,

I have recently joined this forum and just thought I should start here and say hello. I´ve been a fan of Japan since the early 80´s, I first heard Tin Drum and then discovered the earlier albums and continued to follow David Sylvian´s solo career. I still think this is great music with a unique and fascinating quality. Of course I also like some of the other members work outside of Japan although I have not yet heard everything, but hope to discover more. My other favourite band is Duran Duran but love all kinds of 80´s music. Hope I can contribute with something to this forum.
Last edited by InVogue on Thu Jan 07, 2010 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
InVogue
Noob
Noob

Re: Hello from Sweden

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:37 pm

Welcome. Hope you have fun.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Jackal on Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Welcome,
Hope you enjoy your time here.
Jackal
Regular
Regular

Postby Nath on Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:59 pm

hi and welcome!!! :smt006

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Dec 29, 2009 12:32 pm

Greetings InVogue! Hope you have fun here and I'm sure you will be able to contribute a lot to our discussions!!! There are quite a few Duran fans on here - including me! I look forward to chatting with you.
ASTRO
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby InVogue on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:03 pm

Thanks Astronaut! I´m looking forward to the new Duran and Arcadia remasters and I´m sure there will be much to discuss then. Someone said that Duran was ripping of Japan in their early days just because Nick Rhodes looked like David Sylvian and the fact that they presented a demo to them with the intention of maybe getting a bandmember of Japan to produce their first album. But I don´t think this is true and it will be very interesting to hear that first demo on the new remaster, personally I´m convinced that Duran had their own distinctive sound from the very beginning.

Thanks to the others too for the welcome! :D
InVogue
Noob
Noob

Postby Rain on Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Hello ;) Welcome!
Rain
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Tue Dec 29, 2009 2:18 pm

InVogue wrote:Thanks Astronaut! I´m looking forward to the new Duran and Arcadia remasters and I´m sure there will be much to discuss then. Someone said that Duran was ripping of Japan in their early days just because Nick Rhodes looked like David Sylvian and the fact that they presented a demo to them with the intention of maybe getting a bandmember of Japan to produce their first album. But I don´t think this is true and it will be very interesting to hear that first demo on the new remaster, personally I´m convinced that Duran had their own distinctive sound from the very beginning.

Thanks to the others too for the welcome! :D

Well said! I think it's true that Duran (John Taylor & Nick Rhodes at least) DID approach Japan back in late 1980 to either produce the first album, or some say, to go on tour with Japan as their support act. Of course neither came to pass and Colin Thurston produce the album and DD supported Hazel O'Connor. Imagine what a great gig it would have been DD & Japan on the same bill!!! Wow!!!

"Ripping Off Japan ..." Yes, DD are still accused of that, and it's true to some extent, but I prefer to think of it as an homage to Sylvian rather than "ripping off". I mean, David wasn't exactly immune from "Ripping Off" other peoples style himself. Look at how similar his hairstyles are to The New York Dolls, Blondie, Andy Warhol (yes really) and so on ...

BTW: I think any discussions regarding DD are best posted in the Laughter & Forgetting/Open Season folder. :-D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Hello from Scotland

Postby dconnery1966 on Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:15 pm

Well hello there inVouge, welcome to the group hope you have fun.
Dougie :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Hello

Postby digimarsh on Mon Mar 08, 2010 10:48 am

hello, i am digimarsh, i love this site and i hate spammers
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself