Hello

Tell us a little bit about you...

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:52 pm

Thanks - and sorry, I've completely hijacked this thread now :oops:

The people here who are also members of Porcupine Tree Forum can attest to the fact that sometimes I've had to leak my feelings all over Internet sites due to a lack of people to talk to about them...
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Moon Park on Wed Feb 18, 2009 5:57 pm

Well, if you ever need a friendly ear/tea and sympathy, give me a shout or drop me a PM OK :D It's tough when you can't talk about stuff like that and end up having to bottle it up, it's times like that when I normally avail myself of my Livejournal account and spew it all out there :D
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Wed Feb 18, 2009 6:23 pm

Thanks again. I used to get it all out on PTF, then stopped because he's a member there and so did it on Facebook, and then had my suspicions he was reading my posts there, so now... Tangled webs, eh?
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:00 am

anortherncod wrote:
Phil Lawton wrote:
anortherncod wrote:A particularly warm welcome straight outta Salford Six from me, Phil, because I've been looking for that Jansen/Nolan Sisters collaboration for a while. Any chance you could send me it as a zip file? Ta...

I'll see what I can do...I could maybe throw in the Barbieri/Aqua single, but I'm guessing that you already have it, A.

I have CD1 but not CD2, if you have that...?

Ah...you mean with the bonus track "I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll Wid U In Heaven Tonite"?

Cross my palm with silver (not the Lone Ranger's horse...the times I've fallen for that one) and you never know, m'laddo (assuming that you are a 'laddo', rather than a lass-o...not to be confused with a lassoo...and we're back to the Lone Ranger again, innit).
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:03 am

neonico wrote:i respect his musik options as well but quote
"whiney, self-indulgent noise" is just plain bad manners.

But, Neo, if that's how it strikes me, how else can I describe it?

If DS chooses to make money from a commercial enterprise out of what is normally a private, highly emotional personal time, are you saying that it's exempt from criticism?
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:08 am

Moon Park wrote: I have to say though that I completely disagree with your musical opinion - of the Jansen/Nolans free jazz/klezmer/avant-disco fusion collaboration, that is, 'cos I thought it sucked a big one :smt019 :lol:

That's because you haven't first listened to their first neo-classicist-be bop-death metal-dubstep collaboration with with Gordon Lightfoot. If you have difficulty laying your hands on a copy of "Swivel On This, Mrs Fodlington", just let me know and I'll burn you a copy.

Or I'll just burn my copy.

Sorry about my silliness, I was born under the starsign of Toast, so you'll understand why I'm sure

I don't understand, no, but I'll be sure to grill you about it later.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:29 am

Phil Lawton wrote:
anortherncod wrote:
Phil Lawton wrote:
anortherncod wrote:A particularly warm welcome straight outta Salford Six from me, Phil, because I've been looking for that Jansen/Nolan Sisters collaboration for a while. Any chance you could send me it as a zip file? Ta...

I'll see what I can do...I could maybe throw in the Barbieri/Aqua single, but I'm guessing that you already have it, A.

I have CD1 but not CD2, if you have that...?

Ah...you mean with the bonus track "I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll Wid U In Heaven Tonite"?

Cross my palm with silver (not the Lone Ranger's horse...the times I've fallen for that one) and you never know, m'laddo (assuming that you are a 'laddo', rather than a lass-o...not to be confused with a lassoo...and we're back to the Lone Ranger again, innit).

And there I was thinking it was called "I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll WIT U..." call myself a fan...?!?

I'm a female fish btw...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:02 pm

anortherncod wrote:And there I was thinking it was called "I Wanna Rock 'n' Roll WIT U..." call myself a fan...?!?

I'm a female fish btw...

You go to your room immediately, Missy, and ruminate on your error.

But make sure you put some paper down first in case you make a mess.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:08 pm

Unlucky! I'm at university and I'm sure I would be in even more trouble if I missed my class, so going to my room will have to wait...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Phil Lawton on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:13 pm

anortherncod wrote:Unlucky! I'm at university and I'm sure I would be in even more trouble if I missed my class, so going to my room will have to wait...

That old chestnut, eh?
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby anortherncod on Thu Feb 19, 2009 12:25 pm

But it's the truth, your honour...
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Thu Feb 19, 2009 3:56 pm

no but.

i think you have past the point even if i sell my pantings and fotos for a löt of money which i didnt expect its my way of getting rid of my emotional crap.....

is that wrong?

but i wouldnt give someone that type of quote. sorry.

perhaps i have a senstive soul.

money is no issue

my spiritual and emotional outlet is important.

that someone made money because of one group japan that doesnt exist anymore is this a reason to always dwell on the past and never go futher.

yes because of japan there is a easier outlet to sell.

but still muscians are muscians because of there emotions and emotional outlet or they couldnt write good musik.

thats what musik is about .

and a little abstraht is also ok.

thats also why no interview

the naughty stuff makes me laugh but quotes like this ........

my answer to

If DS chooses to make money from a commercial enterprise out of what is normally a private, highly emotional personal time, are you saying that it's exempt from criticism?

i still wish you lots of good hours of happiness and all the best from this forum

they are nice guys here.
neonico

Postby Moon Park on Thu Feb 19, 2009 4:43 pm

Phil Lawton wrote:That's because you haven't first listened to their first neo-classicist-be bop-death metal-dubstep collaboration with with Gordon Lightfoot. If you have difficulty laying your hands on a copy of "Swivel On This, Mrs Fodlington", just let me know and I'll burn you a copy.

LMAO :lol: What colour would you like your internet in, sir? :lol:
Moon Park
Regular
Regular

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Feb 20, 2009 4:42 am

Moon Park wrote:
Phil Lawton wrote:That's because you haven't first listened to their first neo-classicist-be bop-death metal-dubstep collaboration with with Gordon Lightfoot. If you have difficulty laying your hands on a copy of "Swivel On This, Mrs Fodlington", just let me know and I'll burn you a copy.

LMAO :lol: What colour would you like your internet in, sir? :lol:

Just the usual day-glo grey with the bright beige piping.

Here's a shiny new sixpence for your trouble.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:04 am

neonico wrote:no but.

i think you have past the point even if i sell my pantings and fotos for a löt of money which i didnt expect its my way of getting rid of my emotional crap.....

is that wrong?

but i wouldnt give someone that type of quote. sorry.

perhaps i have a senstive soul.

money is no issue

my spiritual and emotional outlet is important.

that someone made money because of one group japan that doesnt exist anymore is this a reason to always dwell on the past and never go futher.

yes because of japan there is a easier outlet to sell.

but still muscians are muscians because of there emotions and emotional outlet or they couldnt write good musik.

thats what musik is about .

and a little abstraht is also ok.

thats also why no interview

the naughty stuff makes me laugh but quotes like this ........

my answer to

i still wish you lots of good hours of happiness and all the best from this forum

they are nice guys here.

Neo, you're really missing my point.

If 'Blemish' had leapt from Sylvian's creative loins fully formed and packaged, then I could grasp how it might - very vaguely - be regarded as beyond comment.

As it is, he had to write it, hire musicians to play on it, engineer it, mix it, master it, get the cover designed and approved, sort out the mechanical logistical processes involved in manufacturing and distributing it, settle on a retail price and ensure that it appeared on the shelves of record stores and places like Amazon.

He'd have liaised with marketing types to assess the best impact of the album.

Why?

To make money.

And, as the money-making venture that 'Blemish' is (rather than an untouchable, personal expose of life Chez Sylvian in the closing days of his marriage to Ms Chavez) it's open to criticism by punters like me. I paid to own a copy of the product, which gives me the right to comment on the contents of that product.

My soul is as sensitive as the next man's (or woman's) to the subject, especially as my own marriage broke down at the start of last year. But if I'd produced an album about it, which involved all of the hard-nosed, commercial prerequisites for getting it out and into the collections of buyers, I'd expect it to be as open to criticism as the latest Leona Lewis ('scuse my French) single.

Not that I should be justifying my position, but Sylvian is one of my favourite artists and I regularly trumpet his career loud and clear to anyone I think might enjoy it in the same depth as we all do here. But no artist is exempt from what you describe as a "low blow" and what I'd describe as healthy criticism - 'Blemish' is (with the exception of the track I mentioned) a whiney, self-indulgent noise to my ears and I'd be lying if I expressed any other opinion.

And yes, I do like it here, Neo.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Introduce Yourself