Hello

Tell us a little bit about you...

Postby Phil Lawton on Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:05 am

neonico wrote:no but.

i think you have past the point even if i sell my pantings and fotos for a löt of money which i didnt expect its my way of getting rid of my emotional crap.....

is that wrong?

but i wouldnt give someone that type of quote. sorry.

perhaps i have a senstive soul.

money is no issue

my spiritual and emotional outlet is important.

that someone made money because of one group japan that doesnt exist anymore is this a reason to always dwell on the past and never go futher.

yes because of japan there is a easier outlet to sell.

but still muscians are muscians because of there emotions and emotional outlet or they couldnt write good musik.

thats what musik is about .

and a little abstraht is also ok.

thats also why no interview

the naughty stuff makes me laugh but quotes like this ........

my answer to

If DS chooses to make money from a commercial enterprise out of what is normally a private, highly emotional personal time, are you saying that it's exempt from criticism?

i still wish you lots of good hours of happiness and all the best from this forum

they are nice guys here.

Neo, you're really missing my point.

If 'Blemish' had leapt from Sylvian's creative loins fully formed and packaged, then I could grasp how it might - very vaguely - be regarded as beyond comment.

As it is, he had to write it, hire musicians to play on it, engineer it, mix it, master it, get the cover designed and approved, sort out the mechanical logistical processes involved in manufacturing and distributing it, settle on a retail price and ensure that it appeared on the shelves of record stores and places like Amazon.

He'd have liaised with marketing types to assess the best impact of the album.

Why?

To make money.

And, as the money-making venture that 'Blemish' is (rather than an untouchable, personal expose of life Chez Sylvian in the closing days of his marriage to Ms Chavez) it's open to criticism by punters like me. I paid to own a copy of the product, which gives me the right to comment on the contents of that product.

My soul is as sensitive as the next man's (or woman's) to the subject, especially as my own marriage broke down at the start of last year. But if I'd produced an album about it, which involved all of the hard-nosed, commercial prerequisites for getting it out and into the collections of buyers, I'd expect it to be as open to criticism as the latest Leona Lewis ('scuse my French) single.

Not that I should be justifying my position, but Sylvian is one of my favourite artists and I regularly trumpet his career loud and clear to anyone I think might enjoy it in the same depth as we all do here. But no artist is exempt from what you describe as a "low blow" and what I'd describe as healthy criticism - 'Blemish' is (with the exception of the track I mentioned) a whiney, self-indulgent noise to my ears and I'd be lying if I expressed any other opinion.

And yes, I do like it here, Neo.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Feb 21, 2009 2:09 pm

Phil Lawton wrote:If DS chooses to make money from a commercial enterprise out of what is normally a private, highly emotional personal time, are you saying that it's exempt from criticism?

I think that what Neonico hates about your critique is that a great deal of what are known as "masterpieces" come from private, highly emotional, personal experiences. Can't blame artists for making a living out of their lives, can we? It's quite normal.

Moon Park wrote:Andy Partridge from XTC

Was he the one on the pear tree? :smt111
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re:

Postby Phil Lawton on Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 am

I think that what Neonico hates about your critique is that a great deal of what are known as "masterpieces" come from private, highly emotional, personal experiences. Can't blame artists for making a living out of their lives, can we? It's quite normal.

No, no...I'm not blaming anyone for making a living out of their lives. That's my whole point...DS is making a living out of it, it's his product, therefore open to criticism, whether it's a "masterpiece" or not.
Phil Lawton
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Introduce Yourself