Introducing myself...

Tell us a little bit about you...

Introducing myself...

Postby Hawk on Sun Nov 16, 2008 9:14 pm

A very peaceful hello from here in England! I am having such a lovely evening. It is very cold here at the moment so I have candles all round my living room. There is a wonderful smell of vanilla and lavendar in the air and I can hear a soft pattering of rain on the window. The seagulls are finally going to sleep and I have an hour, maybe half an hour in which to occupy myself until I decide to go to bed as well. So I find myself listening to 'The Heart Knows Better' and realise there's so much I've yet to discover about the genius that is David Sylvian.

I actually discovered him indirectly a couple of months ago through David Bowie. I have listened to Bowie's music for several years now and as soon as I got the internet I began searching for the various films he'd been in as well, one of which was Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence. I learned vaguely of Sylvian through this, and also of Ryuichi Sakamoto, whose work I now realise I heard a lot when I was little. I guess at first I was cynical of Sylvian as, like many, I started making links between him and Bowie. I really feel quite bad about doing this now as, more and more, I realise how very different these two artists are, yet they have both created such amazing journeys, I feel ever so priviledged to be able to retrace the steps of about thirty years and reflect on my own life and creative outlook in the process.

Sometimes I wish I had been alive in the 70s or 80s when things seemed so much more vibrant and productive in artistic fields. But I guess it's useful to look forwards too and be grateful for those memories, even if they are passed on second hand.

Anyway, what I mean to say is, I am so passionate about what I've heard so far of Mr Sylvian's work. I don't know much about him as a person and sometimes I'm not quite sure what some of the songs mean, but they seem to communicate such incredible moods and internal atmospheres and they certainly give me a lot to think about. I LOVE Japan as well for completely different reasons - I am quite amazed at David's transformation but I think it was probably necessary at the time and I really really hope he continues to create such beautiful pieces of music for many years to come. To see him play live would be absolutely magnificent and sometimes I really wish I had discovered him sooner! Well, no time like the present I suppose.

(Is he making a new album? I do hope so!)

Apologies for writing an essay, I must be in that kind of a mood! I look forward to learning more about DS and Japan and thank you for creating such a useful site!
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby anortherncod on Mon Nov 17, 2008 3:39 am

Hiya Hawk and welcome to the forum! Hope you have a great time here :D
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:18 am

hi Hawk

welcome love that song that your listening to ( the heart nos better)

enjoy yourself and dont be afraid to ask anything they are all very freindly here.
neonico

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Mon Nov 17, 2008 6:48 am

Hi Hawk, welcome! I hope you will enjoy this site, I sure do! :D
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nath on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:10 am

hello Hawk... :smt006

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:15 am

He is working on a new album, Hawk, which should be quite different from much of his earlier works. Hopefully it will be out before the end of the year but we'll see. :)

Welcome to the forum. glad you found us - and more importantly, Mr. Sylvian!! The discovery will be quite a journey. Trust me!
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:34 pm

Wow - so many welcomes - I am honoured! Thank you everyone. I am very excited to hear about the new album. I have Oil on Canvas and Blemish at the moment (I didn't really know where to start so I went with the only ones I could afford... :oops: I adore them both and would love to own the whole collection one day). Blemish is quite astounding.....one song feels like ten years.....like I have flown a long way inside myself. Oil on Canvas takes me into a tiny corner of the world where so much is happening and there are many people connecting. David's voice provides some sort of consistency linking each globe like the string on a pearl necklace. I am really looking forward to learning more!
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Pagoda on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:10 pm

Gidday Hawk! I saw you swung by my own introduction thread, so I thought I'd do the same.

Hey, I don't have either of those albums- looks like we've both got some collection-expanding to do

take it easy
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby Hawk on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:03 pm

Thanks Ames! I know - I am hoping my collection will be slightly larger after Christmas... :wink: I am very attracted by Snow Borne Sorrow at the moment...it seems to fit my mood a lot. But any Sylvian album at all would make me sincerely happy and grateful!
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:49 pm

HI there Hawk! Welcome to the forum! You are going to love it here! Everyone is so nice and extremely different and fascinating! WELCOME WELCOME!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:32 am

hi Hawk
hope you enjoy
and i wish to see you around here often
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Antinous on Sat Nov 29, 2008 2:47 pm

Hi hawk. Welcome :)
Image Image

a silence so rare
Antinous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hawk on Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:48 pm

Hello hello hello! :-) Thanks for the welcomes! I will try to post more...when I think of something constructive to say! I am enjoying watching the videos. Mr Sylvian seems like a very very interesting person. I am thinking a lot. Many thanks for uploading.

I got some David-esque glasses on prescription the other day - I just couldn't resist. I love them. The look on the optician's face was priceless ("are you sure you don't want anything smaller?") Heh heh.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Return to Introduce Yourself