Bursting onto the scene like hot glitter glue (aka Hi All!)

Tell us a little bit about you...

Bursting onto the scene like hot glitter glue (aka Hi All!)

Postby Pagoda on Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:41 pm

Hi there! Pagoda here.

My name's Amie, or Ames. I hail from the fairly obscure city of Adelaide in South Australia. Anyone else from Adelaide on here?

Anyway. I first started listening to Japan when I was about 14, maybe younger. My dad, who'd been a fan in the early eighties but lost all of his LPs somehow, found Tin Drum on CD and put it on the big HiFi at home.

It was the weirdest thing I had ever heard; there were a few instruments in there that I had never heard before. I was almost embarassed by it, and tried to turn down the volume. But there was something in there that I liked very much, and I kept listening.

Needless to say, before long I was digging out the CD and listening to it when no-one else was at home too. Great fun. I've collected a few more albums too, but I can only find one music store in town that stocks Japan or David Sylvian, and I already have the ones they stock. Frustration.

As it is, a few years have passed, I'm Eighteen years old now, about to put on my highschool clothes for the very last time. I'm a geek if there ever was one. I like to wear ties, if only because people inevitably say 'You're a girl, what do you have a tie for?'. Meanwhile, I'm imagining I have a shiny red jacket to go with it. :D

Anyway, it's lovely to see a site like this after ages of thinking I was the only Japan fan still in existance. In retrospect, that was pretty silly of me, eh? :oops:

I suppose you can tell I'm fairly talkative. Please do stop for a chat!

Peace
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sat Nov 15, 2008 3:07 am

Welcome to the forum Ames! Hope you have a good time on here :D
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Maria_Wikstrom on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:23 am

Hi Ames! I'm 100 % sure you will love this site!! It's the best if you ask me. :D
Maria_Wikstrom
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:52 am

Welcome! *waves*
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Pagoda on Sat Nov 15, 2008 6:30 am

*Waves*

Cool, thanks for the welcome :D
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby neonico on Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:07 am

welcome Ames

hope you will hve fun on this wonderful site.

leelee
neonico

Postby Nath on Mon Nov 17, 2008 11:08 am

Welcome and have fun... :wink:

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Hawk on Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:43 pm

Hello I'm new too. Nice to meet you! The music stores are bad where I live too - no Japan or Sylvian at all :( - I still check them from time to time just in case but I think I will probably end up ordering most of mine from Amazon.
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Pagoda on Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:06 pm

Haha, No Joke. I suppose the one I found must be fairly good by comparison- it does stock some eclectic older stuff (non-stop erotc cabaret by Soft Cell anyone?) and I got my copy of Adolescent sex there.

Does Amazon stock the relevant albums? I'm fine with buying things over the net but I don't like marketplace-style things
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Postby Hawk on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:12 pm

Yeah I've found Amazon has almost every album (that I know of anyway)...I prefer not to order online too...and there is a certain excitement about buying a CD fresh from the store that day that one just doesn't get with ordering in virtual space...but ho hum if I want the music... Mind you, last year I didn't have the internet and I was searching far and wide for somewhere that sold a Deep Forest album. Eventually found one - in London - so I had a nice trip at the same time. It was the best feeling. Maybe I'll go there again and search for Sylvian... :roll:
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Nov 24, 2008 3:51 pm

HI there Ames! WELCOME to the forum!!! I'm not from adelaide but a school friend of mine as a teen lived abroad with her family in Australia and they lived in Adelaide! So I've at the very least heard of it! :-)
Hope you enjoy it here!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Pagoda on Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:45 pm

Ah Hawk, you're a lucky one, I'd like to be able to go to London for the weekend to look for albums...

Still, the place where I live is pretty cool.
-Ames
Pagoda
Regular
Regular

Return to Introduce Yourself