Disclaimer: I'm not an actual sorrow box.

Tell us a little bit about you...

Disclaimer: I'm not an actual sorrow box.

Postby sorrowbox on Sun Mar 02, 2008 4:59 pm

So please don't attempt to stick pieces of paper between my teeth.

Whew. Finally made it here. My apologies to the admin -- I think I messed up the rule detailed in the sticky post by not filling out the interest section. I guess I can count myself lucky that a search for sorrowbox brings up my last.fm profile as a top result, where Sylvian is still listed as one of my favourite artists.

I'll confess right away that I'm a shy person, and feel a tad weird because it's been years since I used internet forums (fora?). In 2004 or so I discovered online journals, and in 2005 I switched to LiveJournal (then later to InsaneJournal). This is the first forum I've registered at in at least two years, so I'm out of the loop. However, I've noticed that you're a friendly and welcoming bunch, which should make the transition pretty easy.

Confession number two: I'm a newbie when it comes to Japan and/or Sylvian (and all things related). It started just a few months ago, in November 2007, when I stumbled upon "Linoleum" by Tweaker and not only liked the quirky, dreamy song, but was positively mesmerized by the vocals. "Sylvian purrs and yearns and wraps the melody around you like silk", I wrote in a music post, and then recommended it all over the place. A few weeks later I visited a friend and in the background played some eerie, dark, unique track, again with astonishing vocals, and I stopped in the middle of the room and just listened, then asked "What amazing stuff is that?"
It was the beginning of Backwaters. My friend had liked "Linoleum" so much that she bought Brilliant Trees, Secrets of the Beehive, and Everything And Nothing. She kindly lent me all three. The rest, as they say, is history.

What is there to know about me? I was born in 1978, which means I'm too young to have actively participated in -- or even noticed -- the musical and subcultural trends of that decade. While many teenagers might have been busy discovering New Wave and re-inventing themselves as punks or goths or new romantics, I was busy going to elementary school and being envious of my neighbors' son, who had his own TV -- with cable, even! -- and refused to let me play with his Masters of the Universe action figures.
It's a bit ironic, I think, that around 1995 I slowly immersed myself in the local goth scene and, after some early years of experimenting and soaking up impressions, I started to gravitate more and more towards the 80s in music and style, which eventually meant that I felt a frequent yearning for something I've never actually been a part of. Although my taste in music is fairly eclectic, I always come back to certain bands and songs -- The Chameleons being a prime example -- that open up my heart in ways other genres just can't. When newer bands or trends make me pay attention, I often find out later that they have their roots in the 80s either in sound or aesthetics. I'm not an 80s buff, and it's not that I wouldn't branch out into other directions, but it's like you're a moon circling a planet: even on your farthest point of the orbit, there's still a steady pull keeping you in place, something you always get back to.

I have a thing for androgyny, and I'm interested in gender issues, as well as GLBT topics and feminism. In fact, it were some threads about gender and aesthetics, and how they were discussed in a calm and friendly manner, that cemented my decision to become a member. When I'm finally feeling courageous enough to post replies, those will probably be the first I'd tackle, as it's about subjects where I don't feel like a complete n00b.

One word on... let's call it "levels of fannishness": for many people the fact that you're fannish about anything makes you suspect in their eyes. Personally, although I like to read interviews and discuss facts and other so-called SERIOUS BIZNESS, I also love the "squeeing" and "drooling" -- it's a way of community-bonding and especially plain fun. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

As you might have noticed by now, I tend to ramble. Partly because it's hard for me to shake old habits -- i.e., writing long journal posts, and having detailed profile pages where you explain what people get into when they add your journal to their friendslist. But what can I say, I also love writing. If it reaches a level where it gets bothersome, don't hesitate to tell me. In a way, I'm still trying to find the adequate voice for this place.

*takes a deep breath, hits "submit"*
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Re: Disclaimer: I'm not an actual sorrow box.

Postby anortherncod on Sun Mar 02, 2008 5:17 pm

sorrowbox wrote:However, I've noticed that you're a friendly and welcoming bunch, which should make the transition pretty easy.

Confession number two: I'm a newbie when it comes to Japan and/or Sylvian (and all things related).

What is there to know about me? I was born in 1978, which means I'm too young to have actively participated in -- or even noticed -- the musical and subcultural trends of that decade.

I have a thing for androgyny, and I'm interested in gender issues, as well as GLBT topics and feminism. In fact, it were some threads about gender and aesthetics, and how they were discussed in a calm and friendly manner, that cemented my decision to become a member. When I'm finally feeling courageous enough to post replies, those will probably be the first I'd tackle, as it's about subjects where I don't feel like a complete n00b.

One word on... let's call it "levels of fannishness": for many people the fact that you're fannish about anything makes you suspect in their eyes. Personally, although I like to read interviews and discuss facts and other so-called SERIOUS BIZNESS, I also love the "squeeing" and "drooling" -- it's a way of community-bonding and especially plain fun. Best of both worlds, I'd say.

As you might have noticed by now, I tend to ramble. Partly because it's hard for me to shake old habits -- i.e., writing long journal posts, and having detailed profile pages where you explain what people get into when they add your journal to their friendslist. But what can I say, I also love writing. If it reaches a level where it gets bothersome, don't hesitate to tell me. In a way, I'm still trying to find the adequate voice for this place.

Hiya!

Point 1. It is friendly here - we aim to please!!!
2. Never mind about being a newbie. You've got the rest of your life to catch up. Though you might need a well-paid job :D
3. Never mind about being born in 1978. Life will get better once you hit 30!
4. I think gender issues are really interesting too. This was discussed in a lecture I was in yesterday - but that's another story.
5. I also think we have a good balance here of serious and not so serious issues. Btw I'd also recommend the Japan Pioneers Yahoo Group for the more serious stuff. That will help in the future with finding out how many versions of Life In Tokyo there are :)
6. I love rambling and writing as well.

So, in short, welcome and look forward to posts from you!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Sun Mar 02, 2008 6:35 pm

I have a thing for androgyny too. Welcome to the forum. :D
Japanfan - The luminescent, mysterious, and androgynous New Romantic.
http://www.myspace.com/sylvianfan
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Mar 02, 2008 7:10 pm

Welcome to the forum! Hope that you will have fun here :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Disclaimer: I'm not an actual sorrow box.

Postby Astronaut on Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:04 pm

sorrowbox wrote:This is the first forum I've registered at in at least two years, so I'm out of the loop. However, I've noticed that you're a friendly and welcoming bunch, which should make the transition pretty easy.

Confession number two: I'm a newbie when it comes to Japan and/or Sylvian (and all things related).

I'm not an 80s buff, and it's not that I wouldn't branch out into other directions, but it's like you're a moon circling a planet: even on your farthest point of the orbit, there's still a steady pull keeping you in place, something you always get back to.

I have a thing for androgyny, and I'm interested in gender issues, as well as GLBT topics and feminism. In fact, it were some threads about gender and aesthetics, and how they were discussed in a calm and friendly manner, that cemented my decision to become a member.

Hello Sorrowbox! Great to 'meet' you!
1. This is the first forum I've registered with where I actually feel confident enough to post things, which I do frequently! Everyone here has been very friendly and hopefully I haven't offended anyone with my ramblings!
2. I'm sort of a newbie: I was into Japan in the early 80's then lost them again until last summer when I got back into David Sylvian's solo work. Being on this site has helped so much, I've learnt so many things about Japan and the ex members and what they're upto now, which I would never have found on my own (thanks to everyone for this!)
3. I'm not an 80's buff either - but I love the analogy you've used - couldn't have expressed it better myself.
4. I have a thing for androgyny too! As witnessed by my drooling frequently over pix of young DS and Mick and rambling on at length about Nick Rhodes ...:smt049
5. Be true to yourself.

Astronaut :smt020
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:52 pm

Welcome sorrowbox. Thanks for the in depth intro - it was a pleasant read. Certainly didn't find it boring or rambling. I tend to do the same when I feel I have the time/inclination. It's not often but it can happen. ;)

Surely hope you enjoy your stay here.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sorrowbox on Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:41 am

Thank you so much for the warm welcome!

anortherncod wrote:2. Never mind about being a newbie. You've got the rest of your life to catch up. Though you might need a well-paid job :D

*cough* Yeah, certain artists and labels will see a lot of my money in the near future. And the many versions and re-issues and extra-super-special editions were a tad confusing at first. What worries me is that I'm already starting to look at things from a collector's angle. Ooh, this one isn't remastered, but it has a different cover! Weatherbox? Expensive, but so shiny! Hmm, nine out of ten tracks are the same, but the tenth is a remix... -- It's really pitiful.

Life will get better once you hit 30!

Well, I certainly hope so. Besides, you know, not feeling like an adult, competent 30-year old. I look at that number and think "Other people your age already have/did X..." (which is probably a very unhealthy thing to do).

I also think we have a good balance here of serious and not so serious issues. Btw I'd also recommend the Japan Pioneers Yahoo Group for the more serious stuff. That will help in the future with finding out how many versions of Life In Tokyo there are :)

The balance was a big part of the attraction -- uh, besides the fact that your forum actually has activity. But I really need both sides -- I get cranky when it's just squee all the time and nobody posts anything in-depth, but I get equally cranky when I'm not allowed my dose of shameless squee inbetween the in-depth posts.

I'm really bad at this Yahoo group thing, the last time I tried my hands at it the owners had to add and remove me manually because I was too stupid to do it on my own. And then they had to explain how HTML e-mails weren't appreciated. Anyways, I'll check it out, perhaps with a new account. Thanks for the tip!

Astronaut wrote:Being on this site has helped so much, I've learnt so many things about Japan and the ex members and what they're upto now, which I would never have found on my own (thanks to everyone for this!)

*nods* I don't have many people I can talk to about music in general and Japan et al in particular. I mean, they might like the music and the looks, but (with one notable exception) it isn't on the same... intense level. Or that's what it felt like for me. I suspected that at some point my frequent praise, interview quotes, and fanboy musings might start to annoy them. But amongst other fans, I don't have that fear.
Besides, it offers a wealth of shared information, doesn't it!

I have a thing for androgyny too! As witnessed by my drooling frequently over pix of young DS and Mick and rambling on at length about Nick Rhodes ...:smt049

Clearly, I'd never do such a thing, because it's shallow and inappropriate on principle and abetting carnal desires. If anyone told you I have a Sylvian wallpaper on my desktop, they'd be liars. Dirty, filthy liars!

proggrl wrote:Thanks for the in depth intro - it was a pleasant read.

Again, thank you so much! I really shouldn't have been that self-conscious, I guess. Perfectionism is overrated!
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby Silver Moon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:38 am

Welcome Sorrowbox!

That's OK you didn't catch the rule... Your name and E-mail told me that you were OK when I looked you up! Plus, a lot of people haven't followed the rule anyway, and my guess is that they never saw it before they signed up.

Don't worry about being born in 1978--I was born in 1988! It just goes to show how the music is timeless! :D

Anyway, I hope you enjoy posting here! And your intro. was great!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Nath on Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:02 am

Welcome and have fun!!!

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:03 am

sorrowbox wrote:*cough* Yeah, certain artists and labels will see a lot of my money in the near future. And the many versions and re-issues and extra-super-special editions were a tad confusing at first. What worries me is that I'm already starting to look at things from a collector's angle. Ooh, this one isn't remastered, but it has a different cover! Weatherbox? Expensive, but so shiny! Hmm, nine out of ten tracks are the same, but the tenth is a remix... -- It's really pitiful.

Remind me not to introduce you to Steven Wilson. :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Mar 03, 2008 9:33 am

proggrl wrote:
Remind me not to introduce you to Steven Wilson. :-D

Poor sorrowbox! :-D :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:50 am

Welcome to our wonderful world, Sorrowbox!!!! Enjoy your time here.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sorrowbox on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:39 am

proggrl wrote:Remind me not to introduce you to Steven Wilson. :-D

... I'm almost afraid to ask.

Um, why?
sorrowbox
Noob
Noob

Postby proggrl on Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:26 am

sorrowbox wrote:
proggrl wrote:Remind me not to introduce you to Steven Wilson. :-D

... I'm almost afraid to ask.

Um, why?

Cos the rest of your money would be gone due to "the many versions and re-issues and extra-super-special [ultra-limited -ed.] editions". Not to mention all the various projects he's involved with - all worth having and all with thier own "the many versions and re-issues and extra-super-special [ultra-limited -ed.] editions".

Honestly - I had to get a second job!!! :oops:
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:19 pm

Belatedly, welcome sorrowbox, I hope you'll be very happy here. Gender issues really interest me, too. Look forward to some good dsicussions.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Introduce Yourself