Hello all you lovely people!

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hello all you lovely people!

Postby girl about town on Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:49 pm

Hello to all,

This is my first posting on any site ever!! I have never before wanted to join forums or groups before, however, the lure of being able to enthuse about and discuss Japan and David Sylvian was too strong. It is so wonderful to see other people (with such discerning taste I may add!) appreciate the sheer brilliance of anything Japan/Sylvian related.

I am from North West England and have been a devotee of you know who (not Voldermort!) for 28 years (god that makes me feel old!). I am now 39 and have grown up still love Japan/Sylvian as much today as when I was 11. I feel very proud that there are so many loyal fans from way back and new fans that have discovered their music. Long live Japan!!!

I was really impressed by this site and felt I really wanted to join. I think my husband (who is also a Sylvian fan) will be relieved that I do not have to talk (or "go on") about Japan/Sylvian to him ALL the time! So I very much look forward to discussing my favourite subject with all you guys in the knowledge that too much Sylvian is never enough!!!!!!!!!

Thanks so much to Silver Moon and MoodyB for all your hard but very much appreciated work.

All the very best.

Girl about town

(Do you like the name? Think about the next line of the song - i wish Mr Sylvian!!! : wink: )
"These are years with a genius for living"

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:01 pm

Welcome to the boards, Girl About Town!

Feel free to talk about Japan/Sylvian as much as you want on here! And a Harry Potter fan too? Yay!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Cheers for the welcome

Postby girl about town on Fri Jan 18, 2008 4:33 pm

Hi Kera,

Thanks for the welcome. Japan/Sylvian always come first, but yes my secret is out I am also a Potter fan (also His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman, in fact more than HP. HDM books are far superior to the film of the Golden Compass. I would highly recommend the trilogy if you have not read them).

Back to my favourite subject - I saw David in concert on 14th September 2007 at Bridgewater Hall, Manchester - he was amazing. It was as near to a spiritual experience as you can get. It was the first time I have seen him in concert and he did not disappoint. I just hope he tours again and all his fans get the chance to see him. I never got to see Japan as I was too young and my parents would not let me go - something I have not forgiven them for to this day - I cried for two weeks!!! A kind person got me a programme from the tour though to compensate, at the time it felt like putting a band aid on a severed limb. Then Japan split up! Life is cruel.

I first heard Japan when I was 11 and a sixth former in my school drama group did a tape of Quiet Life and GTP for me - I was smitten. It was the music first and then when I saw a photo of David I could not believe how painfully beautiful he was. I was in love with Japan and still am to this day.

"Hi" to anyone who was at the Bridgewater gig!

Wow, this is like Japan therapy! But I don't need curing - never!!!

Thanks Kera,

girl about town.

:D

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sat Jan 19, 2008 2:55 am

Hi Girl About Town and welcome!

I live in the North West as well as you can see <<<

And I was also at the Bridgewater Hall gig... and Porcupine Tree at Manchester Academy and Preston 53 Degrees last year too.

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:32 am

Welcome, girlabouttown. I'm a Potter fan, too. It's great to have you here.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:55 am

Welcome! :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:04 am

welcome and have fun!!!

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby girl about town on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:11 am

Thanks for the welcomes. :D

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby Waves on Sat Jan 19, 2008 11:25 am

Welcome :-)

Too much Sylvian is never enough!!!!!!
That's my kind of :smt023
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby Astronaut on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:36 pm

Hi girl about town! :D

WELCOME!!!

I'm new here too (as you can tell), and like you, I've never been tempted to join a forum before, but as you say, this one is a bit special ... (thanks to Silver Moon + MoodyB :smt006 ) and everyone is so welcoming and polite - some forums I've looked through people can be sooooo rude to each other. Obviously Japan/DS fans are a cut above the rest and know how to behave in a civilised manner! :wink:

I so wish I'd been able to get tickets to see the divine David at the RFH in London, but, sadly it was not meant to be - this time around. I had exactly the same problem with my parents back in the day. I was never allowed to go to concerts, but they eventually relented in '83 and let me go see DD in London! Sadly, too late for Japan ... :cry: :cry: :cry:
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jan 20, 2008 11:10 am

Welcome welcome... this is a great place full of terrific people! You will enjoy it immensely here!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby girl about town on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:09 pm

Just a big thank you to all of you who have welcomed me, you are such a friendly bunch! I really look forward to chatting to you all at some point. I know it's a bit late but Happy :D 2008 to you all.

With love

xxx

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby krausy on Thu Jan 24, 2008 10:52 pm

Better late than never!!

Girl about town-----good to have you here, and welcome!!!! Very pleased that you decided to join us here. We have a good time here. We try to keep it balanced as far as serious discussion and fun banter, at least that is how I like it to be. As you say, other websites can get too bogged down in seriousness and in the process tend to isolate the ones who like to have fun with their fandom.

I love your story about being a fan, etc. I was introduced to them via Duran Duran, and a few years ago when I got re-acquainted with DD I did the same with Japan and Sylvian, and discovered a lot more material than I ever imagined from all of the guys!!!

Definitely disappointed that David did not make it to the US to tour, and I remind him every chance I get--lol---but does not change how I feel and/or how I appreciate his work.

Therapeutic? Yes. But then again, I find music to be therapeutic and a major force in my life.

Have fun here!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself