Hello Everyone!

Tell us a little bit about you...

Hello Everyone!

Postby Astronaut on Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:32 am

Greetings to all at JapanSylvian! And a belated Happy New Year! I'm not at all sure what I want to say here, but I am soooooooo glad I discovered this site - other people who are crazy about David Sylvian and Japan! Yippeeee! I'm so excited I'm practically doing cartwheels across the floor!

I've not been a fan of the divine Mr S (and Co) for very long, err, well I have and I haven't (OK that makes no sense at all) let me explain: I WAS a fan way back in the early eighties, had some of the vinyl (not the first 2 albums) and had the posters on my bedroom wall etc, etc, however, Japan split up just as I was becoming old enough to appreciate them (I was 13 at the time) then I deliberately gave up on 'contemporary' pop music somewhere around 1987 ( I blame that on the emergence of boybands like Big Fun! and Bros! - need I say more?) and so, I missed out on a lot of the career developments of Sylvian, Jansen, Barbieri, Dean and Karn (swoons at the very mention of his name ...) OK, so my interest was re-ignited when quite by chance I came across an interview with DS (Rollingstone 1999) on the net, saw the photos and thought :shock: "Whoa! Mamma! Who is that gorgeous, amazing, totally drool-worthy specimen of manhood"!!!! It can't be ... it is: David Sylvian. And so the madness begins (again) ...

I'm also a big fan of Mr Nicholas James Bates and his best buddie Nigel (yeah - you know who I mean)! Even though I think Nick would look sooooo much better without all that mascara and stuff at his age - but he's still yummy! I wouldn't say no given half a chance!

Well, thats me - briefly ... :D ... ...
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jan 15, 2008 3:38 am

Hello and welcome!

I'm pretty new myself as you can see <<

Cambridge, eh? Ooo. We have probably crossed paths at some time or other, that's where I used to live back in the day when I was a little Southern fishie.

I missed out on some stuff because of being skint in the 1990s - should have got my priorities right, but I'm trying my best to catch up now!

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:04 am

Hello and welcome!!!

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Hello Everyone!

Postby Nath on Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:05 am

Astronaut wrote:I'm also a big fan of Mr Nicholas James Bates and his best buddie Nigel (yeah - you know who I mean)! Even though I think Nick would look sooooo much better without all that mascara and stuff at his age - but he's still yummy! I wouldn't say no given half a chance!

Well, thats me - briefly ... :D ... ...

me too I'm a fan of this band... :lol:

I loved so much Nick with his make-up but now it's different...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:21 am

:D Thank you Nath and Natasha!

Hey, what a coincidence Natasha - you used to live in Cambridge. I wonder if we ever met? I was always rather miserable looking back in the 80's (suffering from a bad dose of teenage angst or something similar!) but then again, I think most teenagers looked miserable then (I blame it all on Morrissey!!!!) :lol:
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:39 am

Hello and welcome Astronaut! (I knew you had to be a DD fan with that name, heh) ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:17 am

Hi Astronaut!

Very cool story on how you got back into Japan/Sylvian!! I hope you enjoy posting here!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:57 am

Hey Astronaut, I doubt we ever met because I never knew any other Japan fans, but the odds are that we must have both been mooching in Andy's or Parrot records at some time...

I was miserable looking too, nowadays I hide it better :)

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:36 pm

welcome welcome !!! That is a great story on how you rediscovered David S.! I wish I'd discovered him back in 99 again. Took me till 2005 to figure out what a dumb*ss I'd been for too many years. LOL

P.S. Love that other band you mentioned as well :wink:
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm

Hey thanks everyone for the warm welcome[s]!!! :D :D :D

Well, talking of being a "dumb*ss", I should have expressed myself a little more clearly, coz altho the DS Rollingstone interview was published in 1999, I didn't read it till last summer! :shock: Yep, thats right! - what planet have I been on? <SIGHS> So I have a lot of catching up to do too!

But hey! It's all good fun! As for DD - I love 'em to bits, even if Nick is still rather too attached to his make-up brushes he'll always be my favourite :wink:

:D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Thu Jan 17, 2008 3:02 pm

Hi, Astronaut. I'm also an early 80s teenage Japan fan who lost track of what DS was doing round about 1983 (Bros do have a lot to answer for), only to find the way again late in life, so I can totally relate to your experience.

Welcome.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Jan 18, 2008 12:59 pm

Melazska, Sister London, Silver Moon, godisinthesilences: Many thanks for taking the time to welcome me to your group!

I look forward to "chatting" with you all in the future!

:smt006
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:59 pm

Belated greetings Astronaut. I wanted to welcome you much earlier, but I have had problems with rsi in my arm and broadband connections so have not been able to visit this site recently. I'm about 3 years older than you, so share the same memories - apart from being a Bros fan! In the late 80's I got into INXS and hair metal bands like Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, (but I do confess to having a crush on Nick Kaman at that time too).

The last time I saw Japan live was their farewell gigs at Hammersmith (I went to about 4 of them) then a few weeks later I saw Duran Duran for the first time there.

Looking forward to more nostalgic chats about our teenage years.
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:29 pm

Steerpike wrote:Belated greetings Astronaut. I wanted to welcome you much earlier, but I have had problems with rsi in my arm and broadband connections so have not been able to visit this site recently. I'm about 3 years older than you, so share the same memories - apart from being a Bros fan! In the late 80's I got into INXS and hair metal bands like Bon Jovi and Motley Crue, (but I do confess to having a crush on Nick Kaman at that time too).

The last time I saw Japan live was their farewell gigs at Hammersmith (I went to about 4 of them) then a few weeks later I saw Duran Duran for the first time there.

Looking forward to more nostalgic chats about our teenage years.

Hello Steerpike!
Thanks for the welcome. Sorry to hear about your RSI, that is very unpleasant and a real pain (literally). Hope it's healing up now - not too much typing or it'll return y'know!

Are you a Gormondghast fan by any chance? Just wondered with the username Steerpike? BTW: I absolutely DETESTED Bros! Purlease! They were totally barf-worthy as the editor of Smash Hits would have said! (God bless the good old days of SH and dear old 'Black Type'!)

I didn't get to see Japan live (sadly, very sadly I was considered too young to go London for a non educational purpose ...) but I saw Duran for the first time in London in December 1983 (OMG: that's 25 years ago!!!)

Look forward to 'chatting' to you soon ... :-D
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Introduce Yourself