The Very Best of Japan - DVD

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby lastgoldstar on Mon May 22, 2006 8:34 pm

krausy wrote:patiently? is that a word? :lol:
I should stop ordering goodies because the anticipation about kills me!!

I don't think it's a word when it's concering Japan goodies. :-D That is the one problem with ordering from the internet...
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Twaddle indeed!

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 11:43 am

[quote="Rob"]
The blurb from the 80's music hack Chris Roberts is complete twaddle and he was such a champion of the band.
[/quote]

I complained about the liner notes, too. Then he posted to the Yahoo! Japan group saying he was trying to be poetic. Whatever. I haven't seen liner notes that useless since Steely Dan's Showbiz Kids colection a few years ago...

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

DVD or YouTube?

Postby traiskin on Wed May 31, 2006 11:28 am

I've been reading a few post from other places and its such a toss up between what fans want and what they are actually getting from this collection. I'd love the DVD but Im on my computer at work so much that I might as well watch them on YouTube...
Nightporters slip away...
traiskin
Regular
Regular

Postby lastgoldstar on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:03 am

I agree about the liner notes. They're rubbish.

I showed this DVD to my eleven-year-old sister (who likes Japan because I've played them so much around her). I left the room for a few minutes and came back and she immediately says, "I like the drummer!" :wink: I told her that that's Steve, and she goes around saying "I LOVE STEVE" all the time now! But you know what's awful- she thinks David's ugly! :shock: I didn't know it was possible...
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Jun 09, 2006 12:24 am

lastgoldstar wrote:I agree about the liner notes. They're rubbish.

I showed this DVD to my eleven-year-old sister (who likes Japan because I've played them so much around her). I left the room for a few minutes and came back and she immediately says, "I like the drummer!" :wink: I told her that that's Steve, and she goes around saying "I LOVE STEVE" all the time now! But you know what's awful- she thinks David's ugly! :shock: I didn't know it was possible...

HAHA! That is hilarious! I have a brother whos 8- And he hates it when I listen to David Sylvian or Japan. "You play that stuff TOO MUCH!" He screams that at me all the time. Just this morning, I drew a cartoon on my binder of David Sylvian smiling, when I came back I saw he had ex'd his eyes out, and made him drooling... He does like "Pop Song" though!!

-K-

PS: Your sis has GOOD TASTE! Except for thinking David Sylvian is ugly... What's up with that?!? Is that even possible?! lol. I bet she's in denial- She secretly loves David Sylvian! :-)
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby kinki on Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:43 pm

Silver Moon wrote:
lastgoldstar wrote:I agree about the liner notes. They're rubbish.

HAHA! That is hilarious! I have a brother whos 8- And he hates it when I listen to David Sylvian or Japan. "You play that stuff TOO MUCH!" He screams that at me all the time. Just this morning, I drew a cartoon on my binder of David Sylvian smiling, when I came back I saw he had ex'd his eyes out, and made him drooling... He does like "Pop Song" though!!

-K-

PS: Your sis has GOOD TASTE! Except for thinking David Sylvian is ugly... What's up with that?!? Is that even possible?! lol. I bet she's in denial- She secretly loves David Sylvian! :-)

LOL at all the above!

a/ How can someone be intelligent enough to see that Steve is good looking but NOT appreciate that David (from the same darn gene pool) is equally easy on the eye?!!

b/ Your brother Kera...hilarious behaviour. :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:43 pm

Silver Moon wrote:HAHA! That is hilarious! I have a brother whos 8- And he hates it when I listen to David Sylvian or Japan. "You play that stuff TOO MUCH!" He screams that at me all the time. Just this morning, I drew a cartoon on my binder of David Sylvian smiling, when I came back I saw he had ex'd his eyes out, and made him drooling... He does like "Pop Song" though!!

-K-

Ouch, poor cartoon David. :o Your brother is too funny! Y'know, I think my sister does secretly love David. I showed her a picture and didn't tell her who it was:
Her: "He's hot!"
Me: "HA HA! THAT'S DAVID, TRICKED YOU!"
Her: "Oh noooo, I was kidding, he's ugly still!"

kinki wrote:a/ How can someone be intelligent enough to see that Steve is good looking but NOT appreciate that David (from the same darn gene pool) is equally easy on the eye?!!

It baffles me, I tell you! I think it may be the bleach-blond hair that's throwing her off. I'm working on bringing her to the light. :wink:
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Romance~Kakumei on Thu Jan 04, 2007 2:48 pm

LOL! :lol:
My bro dislikes Japan music...
And mommy ... can you believe it? She tells that David looks like an italian 80's female singer called Donatella Rettore... X___X
It's terrible how everyone takes joke of me... :?
BTW, I bought the DVD... sooo beautiful to see all of them on my big screen... :oops:
Just a pity that there was not the early period but it's ok...
I'm happy to see all these videos and the Oil on Canvas live on a DVD! :-D
Romance~Kakumei
Regular
Regular

Postby gokartmozart on Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:42 pm

Hey Chris,

I joined the YMO group and awaiting membership. I too would love to have the audio from those last shows. Guess I will wait and see... Thanks for the info.

-David
Last edited by gokartmozart on Sat Jan 06, 2007 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: The Very Best of Japan - DVD

Postby Nath on Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:19 pm

Blood of a Poet wrote:This DVD includes the complete "Oil On Canvas" show from the Hammersmith Odeon as well as the following music videos:

Life in Tokyo
Quiet Life
I Second That Emotion
Gentlemen Take Polaroids
Swing
Visions of China
Night Porter

You can purchase the DVD from Amazon.co.uk HERE - I live in the US and it took less than a week to receive the DVD.

The Very Best of Japan is in PAL format, so how can those of us in the US and Canada view it? Simple: with the deceptively inexpensive Cyberhome CH-DVD 300 player. I picked up a couple of these at the local Big Lots store for $27.88 each. The Cyberhome unit is able to be set (by a simple command from the remote) to be region-free as well as convert PAL to NTSC video on the fly. It also has component outputs as well as the standard composite output. Don't let the price fool you, this player is excellent!

I am able to watch The Very Best of Japan without a problem on my CH-DVD 300 (as well as other UK discs such as old Ingmar Bergman movies on the Tartan label).

As far as quality goes, The Very Best of Japan is far better than my old Japanese VHS version of Oil On Canvas. That said, the picture is a little more fuzzy than modern commercial DVDs, but considering the source of this footage it is certainly the best available. The promo videos are generally of better quality than the live video, with the images betting better on the newer promos (Visions of China being the best).

This DVD is not widescreen, but rather the standard 4:3 aspect ratio.

All in all The Very Best of Japan is a must have for any Japan/Sylvian enthusiast!

So many thanks!!!!
I have no video until now... So I ordered it and can't wait to see it...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bridget on Tue Jul 24, 2007 2:54 am

I've had this dvd for a few months now. Okay, the picture quality is not really that awesome on this dvd (of course I'm very happy that there is a concert on dvd at all).

I wish there were more concerts of Japan available on video or dvd. There must have been some people secretly recording over the years...or not?

The first time I watched it, I was on a plane for 12 hours. My parents first thought I was watching some kind of Asian propaganda movie. I really love Canton right now, it has so much power.
Bridget
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Holmewood on Tue Sep 11, 2007 6:17 am

Bridget wrote:I've had this dvd for a few months now. Okay, the picture quality is not really that awesome on this dvd (of course I'm very happy that there is a concert on dvd at all).

I wish there were more concerts of Japan available on video or dvd. There must have been some people secretly recording over the years...or not?

The first time I watched it, I was on a plane for 12 hours. My parents first thought I was watching some kind of Asian propaganda movie. I really love Canton right now, it has so much power.

Virgin did film all of the show that went onto become the "Oil On Canvas" release but for issues of quality, time and (apparently) copyright issues with Ariola/Hansa, didn't release it all on the video, but some tracks made it onto the CD (Quiet Life, Nighporter etc). This is why there are also numerous overdubs of Richard done in the studio due to the lighting constraints on the stage.

Trivia buffs and the really observant will pick this up on the video where some editing discontinuity in the footage is evident in the bleed from "Swing" to "GTP" - clips of MK in rolled up shirt sleeves sidesteeping across the stage are actually taken from the encores which came later and which weren't included.

Whether the additional footage made it any further than the cutting room floor is anyone's guess.
Holmewood

The Very Best Of Japan - DVD

Postby Ed Means... on Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:59 pm

Maybe one day we will see a "director's cut" of Oil On Canvas. I even remember Steve saying something about it being shot through a fog.
With hindsight being 20/20, I think the Budokan gig with YMO would have been better.
Ed Means...
Noob
Noob

still life

Postby triskadekaphobia on Mon May 05, 2008 2:58 am

I am not much of an anorak, but...

i always thought there was something different about this dvd compared to the video release and a friend picked up on it and mentioned it to me the other day - the end of Still Life where the camera scans the band on the decking - on the video release david is standing and we get a moody face expression at the end, but on the dvd isn't he now sitting down ?

Mysterious...
triskadekaphobia
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 am

Wow, good eye for continuity, Trisk!

Unfortunately I sold my VHS copy many years ago :oops: :oops: :oops: so can't compare it to the DVD. What does everyone else think?

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia