HUGE Collection Of Ippu Do/Masami Tsuchiya Links...

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

HUGE Collection Of Ippu Do/Masami Tsuchiya Links...

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:32 pm

Basically, Masami's entire body of work excluding Japan. This is rare/out of print stuff folks....I reccommend downloading Lunatic Menu first as far as the Ippu Do stuff goes...and from Masami's solo stuff...Rice Music. I mean, there is alot here that I haven't heard but, this is going to keep me busy for awhile.

REAL (1980)

Credits:
MASAMI TSUCHIYA-vocal,chorus,guitar,percussion,manual effect
AKIRA MITAKE-keyboard,synthesizer,violin,marimba
SHOJI FUJII-drums,percussion
HIROFUMI AKAO-bass

Tracklist:

01 German Raod
02 Broken Dummies
03 Lonely Pilot
04 In Side/Out side
05 Out Side - In Side
06 Heidelburg Symphony
07 Funk #9 A Present For Disco People
08 Neu! Changing The History
09 Helpless Soldier
10 Lunatic Guitar
[/quote]

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51879783/R92.rar

RADIO FANTASY (1981)

Credits/Notes:
Sandii, Makoto Kubota, Pecker. A more electronic than Normal. Different (photo) cover in the U.K. No CD was ever released AFAIK.

Tracklist:

01 Radio Cosmos (2:15)
02 Time Of The Season (4:14)
03 Radio Fantasy (2:44)
04 Yomotolo-Waiya (1:43)
05 China Step (2:41)
06 Radio Japan (2:45)
07 Imitation Cha Cha (2:59)
08 Morning Menu (1:47)
09 Magic Vox (4:46)
10 Mission Impossible Theme (2:24)
11 Dubling Radio (0:56)
12 Listen To Me (4:23)
13 I Need You (3:59)
14 Listen To Me English Version
15 Chinese Reggae English Version

""Radio Fantasy" was also released on Epic in the U.K., but there are some differences vs. the Japanese version (also released in several other countries). The Japanese cover art is illustration, but the U.K. used the picture of the three members which was used for the back side while using the illustration for the back side. The U.K. version eliminated "Imitation Chacha" in A-side, and contained the English version of "Chinese Reggae" which was originally in the album "Normal". English lyrics were done by Peter Barakan. I recall that Robin Scott highly evaluated it somewhere. "

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51881708/RF92.rar

LUNATIC MENU - Best Of (1982)

Tracklist:

01 Morning Menu (1:47)
02 Sumire, September Love (3:48)
03 Mysterious Night (4:16)
04 I Love You (4:05)
05 Electric Doll (4:56)
06 German Road (6:02)
07 Radio Cosmos (2:15)
08 Time Of The Season (4:14)
09 Moonlight Love Call (3:13)
10 Radio Fantasy (2:44)
11 Lunatic Guitar (2:21)

"The 11-track compilation Lunatic Menu was released (in Japan and the U.K.) in 1982. Encapsulating Ippu-Do's first three Japanese albums — only one of which, 1981's Radio Fantasy, had been released outside of their native country — the set is a fine introduction to the Tokyo-based trio's rich and complex brand of synth pop. (Tracks from the first two albums, Normal and Real, both from 1980, are remixed and, in some cases, re-recorded.) Opening with the piano instrumental "Morning Menu," the disc quickly takes on an electronic sheen with the hit single "Sumire, September Love," which blends synths, electric violin, rubbery bass, and both acoustic and electronic percussion in a way that recalls a bouncier version of the U.K. group Japan. (Ippu-Do leader Masami Tsuchiya became a temporary member of Japan around this time, playing guitar on their live album Oil on Canvas.) Songs flirt with reggae rhythms, toss the occasional English phrase in with the predominately Japanese lyrics, and at times sound like everyone from Thomas Dolby to XTC to Laurie Anderson to Ippu-Do's compatriots the Yellow Magic Orchestra. Critics at the time mostly only heard the Yellow Magic Orchestra comparisons, unfairly lumping the two groups together mostly by virtue of their shared homeland. Ippu-Do are far poppier and more Western-oriented than YMO, however, as evidenced by the almost bubblegummy "I Love You" (the soaring chorus of which, perhaps intentionally, sounds uncannily like Little Peggy March's "I Will Follow Him" crossed with the Ronettes' "Be My Baby") and a weirdly Bowie-like (circa Lodger) cover of the Zombies' "Time of the Season." The only one of Ippu-Do's original albums to be reissued on CD, Lunatic Menu is a gem of early-'80s Japanese pop"

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51850329/lm92.rar

NIGHT MIRAGE (1983)

Credaits:
Masami TSUCHIYA - vocal, guitar, emulator
Akira MITAKE - keyboards, synth, emulator with
Steve JANSEN - Voice, Drums
Richard BARBIERI - Synthesizer solo & synth on "Moon Mirage"
Percy JONES - Bass
Kiyohiko SEMBA - Percussions
Yann TOMITA - Steel drums (!)
Joe STRINGS - Strings

Tracklist :

01 Plants Music
02 African Nights
03 Rain In My Heart
04 Water Flower
05 Lonely Sea Lion
06 Sorrow
07 Dream Of The Gypsies
08 "Sail On"
09 Moon Mirage
10 Crystal Leaves
11 Alone
12 Things To Worry About
13 Fear For The Future
14 In Time-Out Of Time
15 Nightgulls
16 Never Mind

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51884194/nm92.rar

LIVE AND ZEN (1984)

Notes:
Recorded live at the Nakano Sun Plaza, June 6, 1983

Credits:
Masami Tsuchiya: vocal, guitar, synthesizer, pianica, producer
Akira Mitake: piano, synthesizer, violin, chorus
Percy Jones: fretless bass
Steve Jansen: drums
Richard Barbieri: synthesizer
David Van Tieghem: opening act

Tracklist:

01 Kaimuku Listen To Me
02 Time Of The Season
03 Magic Vox 1
04 Magic Vox 2
05 Secret Party
06 Violation 1
07 Violation 2
08 African Nights
09 Rice Music
10 Sumire September Love
11 Night In The Park

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51891817/lz92.rar

RICE MUSIC (1982)

Credits:
Masami Tsuchiya-Guitars/Vocals/Synthesizers/Drums/Bass/Electric Percussions etc.
Mick Karn-Bass
Percy Jones-Bass
Steve Jansen-Drums
Bill Nelson-Guitar
Ryuichi Sakamoto-Vocals/Synthesiserz/Drums/Bass etc.(track 05)
Hideki Matsutake-Computer Programming
Toshio Nakanishi-Kiyomiko Semba-Percusions

Tracklist:

01 Rice Music
02 Se! Se! Se!
03 Haina-Haila
04 Tao-Tao
05 Neo-Rice Music
06 Kafka
07 Rice Dog Jam
08 Secret Party
09 Silent Object
10 Night In The Park

"Includes a Sakamoto performed track, Kafka. also Matsutake, Toshio Nakanishi, Bill Nelson, Percy Jones, Jansen and Karn. Very impressive very hyper. The drums have a Japan sound to them (as to be expected). Tsuchia was in Ippu-Do. He seems to be wearing a stewardess outfit on the cover. Unless someone stole it, the U.K. pressing had no lyrics inside. Again, I have the UK lp pressing, not exactaly a definitive way to judge sound quality, but I felt it had a sort of Japan (the band) sound, but inferior engineering (vocals kind of burried, instruments bunched together) compared to say later Japan albums. Still, very, very reccomended. (and cheap on CD)"

"Featuring members of the British group Japan and Percy Jones on some tracks this album marked the start of the solo career of the ex-Ippu Do songwriter. Featuring great funky bass lines with some English lyrics, Tsuchiya shows off his guitar virtuosity to perfection. Aided by some of J-Pops greatest artists as well as a plethora of Western musicians this is a good starting point for the high-point of J-Pop, with tremendous crossover appeal."

"Rice Music is Masami Tsuchiya's (ex-Ippu Do) debut solo album.A multi-instrumentalist who plays guitar, bass, drums,synthesizers, percussion, koto, yokin and sings on this album.The cover might be misleading because Masami is male.(In a stewardess costume ?) But anyway this kind of look wasn'tstrange in the 80's. Just remember David Sylvian's Wave band"Japan" whose members Mick Karn (bass) and Steve Jansen (drums)appear as guest musicians on this record. Just as Bill Nelson(guitars) and Percy Jones (bass). Also remarkable: a young RyuichiSakamoto performing all instruments (besides the guitars, whichis played by Masami himself) on the track "Kafka".This album has lots of traditional Japanese elements mixed withelectronics.The lyrics are mainly in Japanese, but also some english passagesor even songs.Oh and Masami Tsuchiya is not to be confused with the person ofthe same name, who was sentenced to death due his role in the Saringas attack on the Tokyo subway in 1995."

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51893578/rm56.rar

TOKYO BALLET (1985)

Credits:
Bass - Hitoshi Watanabe (tracks: 04, 08 to 10) , Morio Watanabe (tracks: 01 to 03, 06, 07) Computer [Programming] - Takeshi Fuji /Drums - Jun Aoyama (tracks: 06, 08, 09) /Executive Producer - Shigeo Maruyama, Yukitaka Mashimo Keyboards, Piano - Akira Inoue /Percussion [African Traditional] - Akira Ishikawa (tracks: 04, 05, 07, 10) , Babe Hanna (tracks: 04, 05, 07, 10) /Producer, Arranged By - Masami Tsuchiya /Saxophone - Satoshi Nakamura (tracks: 03, 06/) Strings - Joe Strings (tracks: 04, 06, 09)

Tracklist:

01 Suddenly
02 Silent Hunters
03 Like A Foreigner
04 The Forever Hour
05 Night In The Babylon
06 Tokyo Ballet
07 Alien
08 Mannequin Accordion - Mari Fukuhara/Saxophone [Alto] - Seiji Toda
09 Saijokai No Butterfly
10 Unknown Soldier

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51894959/tb92.rar

LIFE IN MIRRORS (1987)

Tracklist:

01 Stay In Heaven
02 Don't Stop Loving
03 Khaos Town (Hizashi No Tsumibito)
04 Mizu No Naka No Hotel (Hotel Atlantis)
05 Perfect Days
06 Daydreams Of You
07 Ichinichi Senya (One Day A Thousand Nights)
08 Lapis
09 Because
10 Planet Mirrors

David Highly writes: Overall this is a more pop sounding release than the Rice Music era recordings. The production values are very good, Masami writing arranging and producing all songs himself. Nigel Walker handles the recording with Matsato Ohmori and Tetsuya Morioka with Nigel handling the mix as well. The recording was done at Air Recording Studios.There several prominent guest artists on the recording, including David Sylvian, Mick Karn, Andy Mackay and John Taylor. Sylvian does not sing, but contributes guitar and piano. The songs are mainly comprised of ballads with Perfect Days, Day Dreams Of You and Because the standout tracks in my opinion. The mostinteresting track on the recording is Lapis a incredibly beautiful piece that has layers of acoustic guitar, atmospheric harmonic bass notes, delicate percussive accents and clarinet. The acoustic guitar runs are like a classical spanish piece. Mick Karn plays the fretless bass and clarinet.
nk: Its currently out of print

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51873450/lim92.rar

HORIZON (1988)

Tracklist:

01 Mask
02 Forbidden Flowers
03 Horizon
04 Wind,Sand,Water
05 Hummingbirds
06 Silhouette
07 Rose
08 Bird's eye
09 Too Many Tears
10 Diamond

Charles & Natalia Lehmann write: Co-produced and engineered by Nigel Walker. Appearances by Mick Karn and David Palmer. Seems to have more of a direction and continuity than other post- Rice Music releases. Nicely arranged songs and good production make this one of Tsuchiya-san's best. (out of print)

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51876090/h92.rar

TIME PASSENGER (1989)

Tracklist:

01 Mind Friction
02 Lady Roxy
03 Rising Sun
04 Water Mirror
05 Love Love Love
06 Under The Bad Sign
07 Blood Of A Poet
08 Time Passenger
09 Velvet Flower

More memorable than say Tokyo Ballet. out of print.

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51897381/tp92.rar

MOD' FISH (1997)

Notes:
with Mick Karn (track 01)

Tracklist:

01 Sea Monster
02 Frank
03 Mod' Fish
04 Welcome
05 Alexis

5 songs. A whole new ambient style.

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51896017/mf92.rar

FOREST PEOPLE (1998)

Notes:
With Mick Karn (track 04,09)

Tracklist:

01 Prelude
02 A Mid Summer's Night Forest
03 Forest Angel
04 Rain Forest People
05 Glass Forest
06 In A Tropical Forest
07 Mr. Beaujolais Forest
08 Night Creatures In Black Forest
09 The Day I Became Forest
10 Goblin Forest
11 Rosemary
12 A Fairie's Message

CODE
http://rapidshare.com/files/51878176/fp92.rar
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Tue Aug 28, 2007 4:36 pm

Geez, I'm gonna download those! Who are these guys?
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Huge Collection Of Ippu Do/Masami Tsuchiya Links...

Postby Ed Means... on Fri Nov 23, 2007 7:47 am

I had some of these on vinyl, which I regrettably sold (moving to smaller surroundings). I bought Tokyo Ballet in Singapore. There's even a shop over there stocked with Japanese LP's. They're not for sale, but they charge to make tapes. I had them do Normal and Night mirage for me.
Ed Means...
Noob
Noob

Re: HUGE Collection Of Ippu Do/Masami Tsuchiya Links...

Postby Quiet Visitor on Sun Jul 19, 2015 8:00 am

As you might know some of these recordings are collected in the Magic Vox: Ippu-Do Era 1979-1984 box-set:
1: Normal
2. Real
3: Radio Fantasy
4: Night Mirage
5: Live And Zen
6: Rice Music
7: Out Of Reach
8: Magic Vox DVD

I was lucky to order this one in 2006, but there are still copies available if you have the money. But every penny is well spend!
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia