'Adolescent Sex' Is Japan's Best Work...Lyrically

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Jul 29, 2007 12:21 pm

Yeah, Japan definetely stand out from other glam acts at the time. Sweet, didn't have one tenth of the depth that Japan had, yet they were alot more successful. Not, that there is anything wrong with that...I LOVE the Sweet.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Sun Jul 29, 2007 3:33 pm

sisterlondon wrote:
erictak wrote:haha now I wonder if that is a good sign or a bad sign (will assume former hehe) :-D

As I like Adolescent Sex, I'd say it's good. But better not talking to you again when touristic trains are near ;)

great so I sould as lyrically mature as AS then - I can live with that hehe

yeah and better watch out for the tourist trains - beforer we know it you are the subject of a PT song - and we need you here with us! :D
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:24 pm

erictak wrote:beforer we know it you are the subject of a PT song

LMAOOOO!!!!! :lol:
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Sun Jul 29, 2007 6:52 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:Yeah, Japan definetely stand out from other glam acts at the time. Sweet, didn't have one tenth of the depth that Japan had, yet they were alot more successful. Not, that there is anything wrong with that...I LOVE the Sweet.

but the thing is....The Sweet were around in the time Glam Rock was big business (early to mid 70's) Japan missed that.

Japan's 'Glam' phase was just the wrong thing at the wrong time.
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Jul 29, 2007 7:26 pm

sonic_chronicler wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote:Yeah, Japan definetely stand out from other glam acts at the time. Sweet, didn't have one tenth of the depth that Japan had, yet they were alot more successful. Not, that there is anything wrong with that...I LOVE the Sweet.

but the thing is....The Sweet were around in the time Glam Rock was big business (early to mid 70's) Japan missed that.

Japan's 'Glam' phase was just the wrong thing at the wrong time.

Yeah, Sweet were riding the disco/prog wave with 'Level Headed' at the time. I still love that album.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:05 pm

Rhodesia32 wrote:Yeah, Sweet were riding the disco/prog wave with 'Level Headed' at the time. I still love that album.

And few could make that wave sound as good as Sweet, "Love is Like Oxygen" still sounds great today. But for me, Sweet is forever "Ballroom Blitz."
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Sun Jul 29, 2007 8:25 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
Rhodesia32 wrote:Yeah, Sweet were riding the disco/prog wave with 'Level Headed' at the time. I still love that album.

And few could make that wave sound as good as Sweet, "Love is Like Oxygen" still sounds great today. But for me, Sweet is forever "Ballroom Blitz."

I love that album. Silverbird, Lettres D'Amour, Fountain...classics. 'Funny Funny How Sweet Co Co Can Be' is probably my favorite though.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:43 pm

It confuses me as to why I hear so much about Duran Duran, New York Dolls, and ROXY MUSIC, and so little about JAPAN.

Are they just THAT cool that modern culture doesn't accept them? I don't understand!!! :shock:
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Thu Aug 02, 2007 9:55 pm

Modern 'society' I'll call it (since there's not much culture in it anymore), doesn't like much of things that are different (read: intelligent). Duran used to get mentioned a lot because they were popular. But even those who know the name write them off as an 80's video band. They don't know the more intelligent side of the band - the great songs.

Same with Japan, Roxy, etc. Doesn't make one better than the other, just makes them more known. Just go with what's in your heart, NR, and don't bother about what other people say/think/feel/love/hate/whatever! :-D

Enjoy what you love, boy!

PS - I've heard more about Japan/Sylvian/etc then I have about the NYDolls in the last few years. ;)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:19 pm

proggrl wrote:PS - I've heard more about Japan/Sylvian/etc then I have about the NYDolls in the last few years. ;)

I guess it really all depends on where you are :-)
I never let people dictate what I like or dislike, but I do feel bad that JAPAN didn't have a longer stint than they did...wouldn't we all have liked that? ;-)
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krausy on Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:16 pm

New Romantik wrote:
proggrl wrote:PS - I've heard more about Japan/Sylvian/etc then I have about the NYDolls in the last few years. ;)

I guess it really all depends on where you are :-)
I never let people dictate what I like or dislike, but I do feel bad that JAPAN didn't have a longer stint than they did...wouldn't we all have liked that? ;-)

Yes, I imagine we all would have liked that, especially since the boys were just getting the attention they so deserved when they decided to call it a day. It was their decision, which we all respect, but would be nice to see what may have happened if they had stayed together a bit longer--but then again things may have been worse.

The point is that nowadays the people who really matter---the real fans, music enthusiasts, producers, other artists young and old, industry insiders----really have a great respect and admiration for them as individuals. I know this because I have read accounts all over concerning all of them.

Hopefully we all won't let them be forgotten.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Aug 03, 2007 2:18 am

LOL, comparing Duran Duran to Japan is like comparing Celtic Frost to ABBA. Neither of those bands have anything in common. Duran Duran have more in common with Michael Jackson than Japan.
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:30 am

Rhodesia32 wrote:LOL, comparing Duran Duran to Japan is like comparing Celtic Frost to ABBA.

Well the differences aren't THAT extreme! LOL

Sure we'd all like for our favourite artists to be more popular to a certain extent, but more important than that is tht they continue to create music we love or at least have created something for us to enjoy. Isn't it blissful?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:30 am

proggrl wrote:Sure we'd all like for our favourite artists to be more popular to a certain extent, but more important than that is tht they continue to create music we love or at least have created something for us to enjoy. Isn't it blissful?

Yes! :D
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: 'Adolescent Sex' Is Japan's Best Work...Lyrically

Postby suzannahsylvian on Mon Apr 20, 2009 10:44 am

I think the album is pure excellence! Full stop. ;)
suzannahsylvian
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia