Mick Karn - Titles

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Jun 29, 2007 1:09 pm

The cover is just Mick sitting down with a book if my memory serves me, with squares behind him.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Jun 29, 2007 2:00 pm

This is why I like Japan/Sylvian lol. Had a similar situation came up on MetalSludge, and you had so freely expressed a sort of left field opinion you would have been flamed beyond recognition with every e name created. :lol:
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:56 pm

I think I am in love with Kera's Myspace it almost makes me wanna start using Myspace again...

I have heard a few of the tracks from Karn's album recently behind interviews he has done and gah I've been left with the most intense desire to hear his album imaginable... I like the tracks from it that she has loaded into her player....

gah money, money where art thou?

Right I have seriously got to buy all post Japan albums post haste....I got some saving to do... :D
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:31 pm

Cheery Cherry wrote:I've been listening to Brilliant Trees a lot. I love most of the songs on there but I think Pulling Punches sounds out of place. I love the words but the music seems to not fit the words...maybe it's just me *shrugs*.

I tend to agree, but I love the freshness and expaniveness of pulling punches. It's one of those problems I think you come up against when you improvise, finding the melody and the lyric after a multitude of melody lines have gone down (changes the original direction of the song, if in fact it WAS a song to begin with - I get the very strong sense it was constructed (i.e. written) in the studio). I think I've explained myself clearly....I think....

C x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Mon Jul 09, 2007 3:34 pm

In all seriousness though, whilst I respect differing opinion and likes/dislikes I can't begin to understand how BT can be compared to Titles. Sensitive is one of the poorest songs ever written. By anyone. Ever. And yes, I AM including Celine Dion's songwriters in this....

Shock.

And on that bombshell....

Tatty bye.

C x
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:46 am

camphorvan wrote:
Cheery Cherry wrote:I've been listening to Brilliant Trees a lot. I love most of the songs on there but I think Pulling Punches sounds out of place. I love the words but the music seems to not fit the words...maybe it's just me *shrugs*.

I tend to agree, but I love the freshness and expaniveness of pulling punches. It's one of those problems I think you come up against when you improvise, finding the melody and the lyric after a multitude of melody lines have gone down (changes the original direction of the song, if in fact it WAS a song to begin with - I get the very strong sense it was constructed (i.e. written) in the studio). I think I've explained myself clearly....I think....

C x

David shouldn't be puling punches, or punching anyone for that matter!

Cept' for maybe Yuka...
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Savoy on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:35 pm

Half of the songs on Titles have never given up their charm to me, but the other half is really interesting. If you can get the release with the bonus track, "Sound of Waves", I really suggest picking it up. "Sound of Waves" used to be the only song I liked off of Titles.
"Piper Blue" grew to be my favorite track, and "Passion in Moisture" and "Weather the Windmill" are also worth a few listens. "Sensitive" blew the first ten times over but then it became kind of endearing.

It also helps if you're already a big Mick fan. :roll: It's just one of those albums!
"I will not move my army without onions."
Ulysses S. Grant
Savoy
Regular
Regular

Postby tallulahtaurus on Thu Sep 27, 2007 1:59 pm

Piper Blue grew to be my favourite as well but I am also becoming a big fan of Trust Me too.

I agree that Sensitive had to grow on me...I didn't like it too much at first...

I personally think its not a bad album but perhaps not as much of a leap from the music before as Brilliant Trees was.
But still as I liked Japan, I v much like Titles too...that bass sound is v distinctive throughout unsuprisingly...
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Burnsjed on Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:10 pm

Still think Tribal Dawn is the track that sticks out the most, his bass playing is truely inspiring.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:07 am

I think it's the best post Japan solo album.

It did more for me than Brilliant Trees anyway.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Sep 28, 2007 6:28 am

I guess opinions are what make the human race interesting but sorry mate, wouldn't agree with that, isn't a patch on anything DS had done post Japan, but each to their own.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Trantor on Fri Nov 09, 2007 10:51 am

Burnsjed wrote:I remember buying Titles when it was orginally released and "Tribal Dawn" is just immense.

I also have the original album at home. Come to think I haven't even bought a CD. Will do that soon, because you're right. The album is really "immense"
Trantor
Noob
Noob

Postby Burnsjed on Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:13 pm

Actually played it again today, first time in a very long time.
Still absolutely love Tribal Dawn, still think its the best thing he has done, which considering it was the very first thing of his I ever heard (considering its track no 1) is kinda funny.
Just think thats about the best bass line he ever wrote, it is a thing of perfection.
And there you stand, Making my life possible
Raise my hands up to heaven, But only you could know
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia