One Of The Holy Grail Items Of Japan

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 26, 2007 11:22 am

Steerpike wrote:Couldn't help but notice that you had all the issues of Bamboo. ;-) Do you have the one with the interview with Steve? One of the questions was "what do you do when you get back from tour" and he says something like "kiss the dog and the girlfriend, not necessarily in that order" !

I have all of them except #2. I got the issues that had been released through fall of 1988 when I was in London that year - found them all in a Virgin (or HMV) record store - then I subscribed after that.

Yes, the issue with that interview is the Japanese special - not numbered, color issue with Ryuichi on the cover.

Steve met Debi and Howie (the Bamboo folks) in a hotel lobby in Tokyo on Nov. 8, 1985 (he was touring as part of Takahashi's band) - they went out for pizza and did the interview. Here's the bit where the quote comes from:

Bamboo: What's at the bottom of your suitcase?

Steve: Ah, my front door key! I've hardly unpacked. I didn't bring many clothes with me as I like the stuff over here and end up buying a lot. I really like the shirts.

B: How do you find the toilets over here?

S: Oh, I hate them. I try ot avoid them when possible. Usually, the hotels have Western loos and there's usually one on the trains.

B: What are your plans when you return to England?

S: I'll be home in December, but back here in January. So I'll be contacting the musicians Rich and I hope to use on our LP, to check that they're available and we hope to start recording in March or April of 1986.

B: What the first thing you'll do when you step in the door at home?

S: Ah...kiss my dog, if she still remembers me, and kiss my girlfriend.

B: In that order?

S: (laughs) No, not necessarily in that order!
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Sat May 26, 2007 4:37 pm

Thanks for copying that. :lol: It's so rare to find interviews with Steve. Wonder what happend to Debi & Howie?
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Steerpike on Sat May 26, 2007 5:47 pm

heartofdavid wrote:
sisterlondon wrote:Now the next thing is that you are going to start pointing that Nick isn't wearing abny underwear or something like it... *runs*

Oh the things I could say in response to that! :lol:

:D Weeeell, not that I'm one to start rumours but.... did you ever see those pics of him when the Rio video was being shot and he was on the beach, wet, wearing a pyjama style pale blue suit.??? :shock:
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat May 26, 2007 6:50 pm

heartofdavid wrote:Oh the things I could say in response to that! :lol:

THat's why I mentioned it! ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun May 27, 2007 6:15 am

Nick - never one to ruin an outfit with unsightly panty lines. ;-)
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun May 27, 2007 6:33 am

Steerpike wrote:It's so rare to find interviews with Steve. Wonder what happend to Debi & Howie?

Yeah, it would have been nice to see some interviews with Steve during The Fire in the Forest tour, or at the release of Snow Borne Sorrow.

Debi went on to help run Medium Productions - no idea what she's doing now. And I think Howie left Bamboo before the last issue - can't remember but I've never heard about him after that.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sun May 27, 2007 6:47 am

heartofdavid wrote:Nick - never one to ruin an outfit with unsightly panty lines. ;-)

I have to agree with that ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:06 pm

ha ha I just had an image of Nick Rhodes wearing a thong that I'm not sure whether I like or not...eeep

I am such a messy person as well I am currently being really good at the moment and all my ebay won Japan articles and such like are all in the same place and quite well ordered but lets see how that continues as the volume increases...prob not v long.

I just wanna read Richard Barbieri interviews so much any and all...I luff him so much...

There was a full set of Bamboo fanzines up on ebay recently - went way way out of my price range though... :(
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Steerpike on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:11 pm

tallulahtaurus wrote:ha ha I just had an image of Nick Rhodes wearing a thong that I'm not sure whether I like or not...eeep

I am such a messy person as well I am currently being really good at the moment and all my ebay won Japan articles and such like are all in the same place and quite well ordered but lets see how that continues as the volume increases...prob not v long.

I just wanna read Richard Barbieri interviews so much any and all...I luff him so much...

There was a full set of Bamboo fanzines up on ebay recently - went way way out of my price range though... :(

I was bidding on it, but there was a dealer/collector bidding against me and I didn't stand a chance. What's the betting he'll break up that collection and sell them individually on ebay?
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:30 pm

I thought someone from here may well have been bidding...
Ain't it always the case that these things tend to be won by people who aren't fans.... :(

I can readily see it happening *woe*
"This island of blue
Like water and sand
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Bamboo on ebay again

Postby tallulahtaurus on Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:21 am

"This island of blue
Like water and sand
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: Bamboo on ebay again

Postby Steerpike on Tue Jun 12, 2007 9:08 am

tallulahtaurus wrote:http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Japan-Bamboo-fanzine-All-36-issues-David-Sylvian_W0QQitemZ180129273413QQihZ008QQcategoryZ91495QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Thanks. I saw that too. I'm watching it and I'm going to wait until nearer the end of the bidding. I think this is worth getting
Steerpike
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby New Romantik on Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:37 pm

WOW! If that first poster isn't retro New Wave gold, I don't know what is!
Nice coloration! :)
New Romantik
Obsessed
Obsessed

Previous

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia