another new video

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

another new video

Postby Krishna-Lila on Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:36 am

Im sorry to start another topic when there are similar existing ones i could have used, but this seems of real interest. Its a new you tube clip of David playing in a recording studio. I dont recognise the music, but its beautiful. He is apparently with Talvin Singh (although Im not convinced).
There are also candid clips of him testing/playing an upright piano. just search sylvian+talvin, the user is urusei8 (are you here?) or try the following link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npBSzwglfxY
'deconstruction is the possibility of justice' j. derrida
Krishna-Lila
Regular
Regular

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:05 am

Hey there!

I believe that is a very small clip of when Mr. Sylvian was creating "Ember Glance" ... It is a private video shot by Yuka Fujii... I wonder where this person got this?

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby baht habit on Wed Feb 28, 2007 8:29 am

Interesting footage to say the least. That is definitely not Talvin Singh playing percussion. But the one gentleman does indeed appear to be Russell Mills. Could this be from some time even earlier than 1990? Perhaps mid eighties, around the time Sylvian was working on Gone To Earth?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:26 pm

*Sigh* I LOVE David Sylvian...thanks for posting :)
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:14 am

I'm pretty sure this was shot while doing the Ember Glance installation - summer 1990 or so.
I'd also say the percussionist playing two electric zithers in what seems like being a soundcheck, is Laraaji. of course, I don't have a clue as to the connection between him and Sylvian/Mills - it's possible they were using the same premises at the time.
also, Mills did many stage sets for Eno's Opal label concerts throughout the late '80s, and at that time Laraaji was signed to the label.
maybe we see Sylvian visiting Mills at work there?
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Mon Mar 05, 2007 1:45 pm

Thanks for that information, Kitaj and for setting things straight. Judging from this and other posts you've contributed, you surely know your stuff...you seem to be really detail oriented and that makes for even better discussions around here. Please post as often as possible.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lastgoldstar on Tue Mar 06, 2007 4:14 pm

Oh, this is nice, thank you. :D Good thing it hasn't been deleted yet. I used to have at least 15 or so Japan/Sylvian-related videos in my YouTube favorites, and now? Just two. I think it's mainly BBC's doing, though. If they're not going to make this stuff available elsewhere, then I don't think they have any business taking it down.
lastgoldstar
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:04 am

I think it's mainly BBC's doing, though. If they're not going to make this stuff available elsewhere, then I don't think they have any business taking it down.

My point exactly, however I did read something yesterday about the BBC doing a deal with YouTube to allow their clips on there....somehow though I doubt that readding all the Japan clips that they took down in the first place will be first thing on their agenda if this deal goes through though - which sucks muchly.... :(
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby billster on Thu Mar 15, 2007 5:46 am

I haven't checked this link but there is a 'video diary' charting the course of the making and realisation of 'Ember glance' available.
It goes on for about 9 hours , seems unedited, and is rather dull save for David's Roger moore impersonation at the beginning.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:51 am

billster wrote:save for David's Roger moore impersonation at the beginning.

OK I have got to see that! ;-)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby tallulahtaurus on Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:51 pm

Silver Moon wrote:
billster wrote:save for David's Roger moore impersonation at the beginning.

OK I have got to see that! ;-)

-K-

Ha ha me too, I wonder how it came up to do one? I hope it's a good one, although even a poor one might be cute...
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby oppi06 on Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:05 pm

I have this somewhere on video, it was indeed taken by yuka and is part of the emberglance pre-setup filmed in and around Cumbria if I remember right, this is a short excerp of a longer piece, it also has david and Russell working on the making of emberglance in the Lake District picking materials from the Countryside and also showing the making of emberglance in Japan, also has footage of Russell with david and his family; its title is UN-OFFICIALLY " THE MAKING OF EMBERGLANCE ..."
Regards,
oppi
oppi06
Noob
Noob

Postby Cheery Cherry on Tue Apr 10, 2007 9:57 am

So where can I get/view this "THE MAKING OF EMBER GLANCE" video?
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby MoodyB on Tue May 29, 2007 2:43 pm

I have a full copy of this...
...It's a home movie shot by Yuka, some of it is quite fascinating, but definitely only something a hard core fan could sit through!
;-)
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Cheery Cherry on Wed May 30, 2007 10:29 am

MoodyB wrote:I have a full copy of this...
...It's a home movie shot by Yuka, some of it is quite fascinating, but definitely only something a hard core fan could sit through!
;-)

Hmmm...so how can I obtain a copy? I'll be your friend forever, Chris! :-D
Cheery Cherry
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia