The Next Day

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

The Next Day

Postby afternoonfix on Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:17 pm

its wonderful Bowie has released a gem of an album -
'his first for a decade – is a bold, beautiful and baffling electric bolt through its own mythos'

Sylvians last album worth noting was Blemish, 10 years ago.......
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: The Next Day

Postby pinenut on Fri Mar 08, 2013 4:56 pm

with respect that's your opinion. Lots on here like Sylvians direction over the last decade and more importantly it's what David Sylvian wants to do.No problem with Bowies latest release, I really like Where are we now although a lot of the album is quite straightforward musically. David Sylvian has said he wants to "explore" other avenues etc so no release of his will sound like a straightforward rock album which is what you wish to compare it with.
Horses for courses kind of thing.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby afternoonfix on Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:27 pm

Such predictable bollocks,what's annoying with most on this site is this blind devotion to Sylvian ,
you know its ok to admit to not liking an album -- Manafon [and I bought regrettably, the vinyl & cd version in anticipation]
is pretty poor , and so has Sylvian been lately , and hey I'm not one of those looking for another Secrets ,Blemish was fine by me.... I await the onslaught of the 'sylviancandonowrong' wombles !
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby swordofdestiny on Mon Mar 11, 2013 6:11 pm

afternoonfix wrote:Such predictable bollocks,what's annoying with most on this site is this blind devotion to Sylvian ,
you know its ok to admit to not liking an album -- Manafon [and I bought regrettably, the vinyl & cd version in anticipation]
is pretty poor , and so has Sylvian been lately , and hey I'm not one of those looking for another Secrets ,Blemish was fine by me.... I await the onslaught of the 'sylviancandonowrong' wombles !

You are on a Sylvian specific site and call fans "wombles"? Ahem...

Manafon and Died in the Wool were different. Very different, but you can't call them poor. They have some brilliant moments. Look,even I, a 'blindly devoted womble' has to skip a couple of the songs, but there are three or four pieces that are the match of anything he did on earlier work. The guy made a very age specific record in a manner that he had not tried before. Give him props for that at least.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby kitaj on Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:51 am

I notice more and more venerably aged Sylvian fans becoming more like spotty Burzum fans in their demeanor. whatever happened to their red guitar playing, there sure isn't a trace left of it.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby pinenut on Tue Mar 12, 2013 2:06 pm

afternoonfix wrote:Such predictable bollocks,what's annoying with most on this site is this blind devotion to Sylvian ,

actually I don't particularly like Sylvians recent work but I defend the right of anyone on this board to enjoy it rather than listening to something by Bowie which is nothing new. I personally like Bowies new stuff but it's nothing groundbreaking. Sylvian is trying some off the wall stuff which doesn't suit all but that's his choice.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 am

Died In the Wool is a FANTASTIC album and I play it far more than Blemish or Manafon. I prefer the pace of the record to Manafon which slouches along like a dying man. As for the new Bowie record...it's good but not great. If he had released it a couple of years after his last album I doubt very much it would be getting the current critical acclaim that's being thrown at it.

The new John Grant album is wonderful if anyone is interested
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby pinenut on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:09 pm

thanks for the John Grant recommend Simon. I read a review of Pale Green Ghosts that said it was excellent. Just had a listen as your mention reminded me. It is good will definitely get it.
pinenut
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:13 pm

I'm sure you'll love it as much as I do. His voice is incredible.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:34 pm

afternoonfix wrote:you know its ok to admit to not liking an album

Yes, it is absolutely 'ok' for one to claim that they do not enjoy a particular album....

What isn't 'ok' is then to expect that everyone else should hold the very same opinion and share the exact same preferences...
With remarks like "such predictable bollocks,what's annoying with most on this site is this blind devotion to Sylvian", what you basically have inferred is that those who have differing tastes in music are simply fooling themselves. To place one's own preferences and opinions so highly that one feels privileged to blatantly knock the preferences and opinions of others by dismissing their level of discernment surely isn't 'ok'.
This sort of thing truly surprised me when we first witnessed it spread like wildfire back in 09 and still takes me by surprise.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:12 am

Love , Bowie's new album to be fair and to be honest i must concur with the line of thought as to why Mr Sylvian can not 'Roll back the years' in a similar fashion . I was lamenting this the other day after giving The Next Day a couple of airings,before i read this thread.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby swordofdestiny on Thu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 pm

If Sylvian was to disappear for 9 years I would like to think he would emerge sounding like nothing we ever heard before rather than Bowie's heavy handed nod to the past.
swordofdestiny
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby dconnery1966 on Sun Mar 17, 2013 2:59 pm

Hi Simon do you know that John Grant is playing Edinburgh Queens Hall 12th of May :D

Oh thanks for the recommendation cheers mate :D
dconnery1966
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Simonp on Mon Mar 18, 2013 4:03 am

Hi Dougie

Yeh I've got my ticket mate - you going?

S
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby depeon on Tue Mar 19, 2013 2:23 am

I've just you tubed John Grant out of curiosity and lo and behold it is the man who sang the song "I want to go to Mars" at the end of the film Weekend. I have quite liked that song since i watched the film but i was unsure if my appreciation of it was more to do with the fact that to me weekend was a fantastic piece of film making which i found very moving and therefore i was identifying the song with emotions which the film provoked, if that makes sense. Thankyou for mentioning him on here and as a result i shall purchase an album, any recommendations? Finally can i recommend Weekend to you all.
depeon
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia