Quiet Life my !st Japan album. what was yours?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Quiet Life my !st Japan album. what was yours?

Postby dylan kerr on Thu Mar 07, 2013 9:07 am

i am on youtube as i am most days listening to david or japan or RBK
i come across Queit Life the whole album
i am playing it as i type and i am singinf as mad as i did when i 1st purchased this album in 1980
i loved this album from the 1st track and title to the last song The other Side of Life which i miust say has the best outro of music ever whoever produced this and even thought of it was a genius
right thats Fall In Love With Me just finished i have to skip Despair cos nope let me listen to the piano on this truly amazing.
this i remember was a gatefold sleeve ariola / Hansa record. i think i have it 3 times as i put 2 in frames for my music wall.
i actually have an amazing collection of Japan stuff all mint condition too but when i got this i actually begged my parents to buy a new record player which cost in 1980 100 quid and i would constantly play this

so sorry im having a happy memory evening listening to this music
In-Vogue is my fav i love this track
in fact they all are

thats it finished playing my imaginary piano
again great album great music great lyrics classic band!!!!!!!!
dylan kerr
Fanatic
Fanatic

Re: Quiet Life my !st Japan album. what was yours?

Postby Mainzy on Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 am

My older brother got me Adolecent Sex for Christmas. I had got a few singles I second that emotion and Nightporter I think and wanted an LP but couldnt afford it.

As I am sure you are aware I was unsure it was the same band at the start, but liked it imeadiatly anyway.

I still go back and listen. And it still sounds good :o
"Blessed with all the thunder in the world"
Mainzy
Regular
Regular

Postby digimarsh on Fri Jul 19, 2013 10:59 am

It was mine too, i was supposed to be buying myself a new coat with my birthday money ,came home with QL instead
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby karnsculpture on Fri Jul 19, 2013 12:00 pm

Assemblage and Tin Drum roughly at about the same time, then Quiet Life, then a bootleg cassette of the familiar BBC show a few days before I got Polaroids, so I kind of preferred the live versions for a bit as they sounded a bit more exciting. I then got Obscure Alternatives and then Oil On Canvas, but didn't buy Adolescent Sex until a little later, I definitely remember it was the last original album by them I got hold of, even after I'd got bootleg tapes on markets of early shows.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Sat Jul 20, 2013 5:21 am

I was that enchanted by Quiet Life that 3 days later i went and brought GTP, it cost £5.30 ,(1983) i remember because that was the remainder of the birthday money i had recieved ,with which i was supposed to buy a coat. I had just those two albums for aroung 6 months and a tape copy of oil on canvas, i then got Obscure Alternatives ,which was a bit of a shock on 1st listen to be honest. Then i busily collected the rest of the albums summer 84'.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby dizrythmia on Sun Jul 21, 2013 7:00 am

it's my first post here, so why not talk about my first album? :D

my first exposure to the band was on a mixtape someone made for me, and after that i poked around online trying to find similar songs of theirs to see if they were good. after doing some research online i realised i should buy quiet life first so i did and loved it. i bought gtp second. pretty sure i got tin drum next.

i'll admit, after reading about their different sound and david's voice being different for their first two albums, i was kinda scared to listen to them. i'm not really into that kind of music normally, but...i like the first two albums. now i make it a mission to turn on any good friend to them. i can usually get everyone to at least admit they like an album or a few songs, sometimes more.
no amount of fire or freshness can challenge what a man will store up in his ghostly heart.
dizrythmia
Noob
Noob

Postby Quiet Visitor on Thu Oct 31, 2013 2:48 pm

My first Japan-album was Adolescent Sex. I bought it on March 24 1979, a few days after I saw the band miming the title-track on TV. The first minutes I just thought I heard an interesting new band, but when the strings of Richard became more prominent I really got excited. Maybe this had something to do with my love for keyboards, especially in progressive music. Twenty days later I bought the then newly released Obscure Alternatives. Of course, at that time we didn't know the progression Japan would make, but I've played those albums a lot and still like the rawness, the despair in David's voice and songs like Television and especially The Tenant. Then Quiet Life came out which was the right record at the right moment for me. Gentlemen Take Polaroids was the first one I didn't buy at once, mainly because there was little progression compared with Quiet Life. But I did buy the Nightporter 12" and taped the album on cassette. Tin Drum grew on me quite quickly and Oil On Canvas was a beautiful bonus. When the CD came on the market Gentlemen was one of the first one I bought.
Quiet Visitor
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stephenf on Fri Nov 01, 2013 5:49 pm

karnsculpture wrote:Assemblage and Tin Drum roughly at about the same time, then Quiet Life, then a bootleg cassette of the familiar BBC show a few days before I got Polaroids, so I kind of preferred the live versions for a bit as they sounded a bit more exciting. I then got Obscure Alternatives and then Oil On Canvas, but didn't buy Adolescent Sex until a little later, I definitely remember it was the last original album by them I got hold of, even after I'd got bootleg tapes on markets of early shows.

I'm sure you are my paradox twin Paul save for the fact we exist in the same world, outside of the the BBC bootleg, that was the exact same path i took when first listening.
Stephenf
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby The Nightporter on Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:48 am

The first time I became aware of Japan was seeing the' Quiet Life' promo video on TOTP, I was instantly hooked and on the following saturday purchased the 'Quiet Life' 12".

A work coleague was constantly playing 'Tin Drum' and I was struck by how original it sounded, and went out and purchased 'Assemblage' on cassette (with the extra tracks if my mind serves me well) and that was it.....'Gentlemen Take Polaroids' 'Tin Drum' and 'Quiet Life' LPs (in that order) quickly followed and I became well and truly hooked. I purchased as much of the back catalogue as I could get my hands on, although I never warmed (to this day in fact) to the first 2 LPs (with the exception of 'The Tenant') and before I knew it I was collecting vinyl imports, white labels, bootlegs (vinyl & cassettes) T-shirts and everything in-between.....and then in the blink on an eye 'Oil on Canvas' and the demise of the band....

I carried on collecting for several years afterwards and gathered a great collection of vinyl releases from accross the world (the Japanese imports were great with the sound quality and the packaging) and although I listen to music via my ipod these days, I did look through the vinyl vaults the other day and it brought back some memories of great times....
The Nightporter
Regular
Regular

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia