Rain Tree Crow remastered

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Rain Tree Crow remastered

Postby John Trevethan on Wed May 17, 2006 2:53 pm

I just received my copy of the remastered version of Rain Tree Crow a couple of days ago. I must admit that I was never that excited about this release. I was disappointed in 1991 when it came out - partly because it didn't sound like what I thought Japan sounded like. Also, I felt that Mick Karn's bass parts were downplayed too much.

Well, I don't know if it's due to the beefy remaster or just dropping my expectations (as Robert Fripp states: "Expect nothing.") - but I now feel that I finally "got it". It just took me fifteen years to catch up with where these guys were at in 1991! Now I feel that the record is all about space, and the drums & bass are masterfully subtle. Mick's lines are still there... they are just executed with extreme taste.

For all of you who have loved RTC from the beginning (like my wife) then please excuse me for being so thick as to take 15 years to appreciate it. Which raises an interesting point regarding an artist's work: If you are so far ahead of your audience that they don't understand you then you will probably fail due to lack of interest, CD sales, etc. However, if a significant portion of your audience does eventually understand your work after some long period of time then there is a good chance that the work will be considered extraordinary or "genius". This may likely move the work into the timeless classification of a masterpiece.

So, what's better - supporting yourself with your art and therefore being able to create more, or struggling to be understood (and perhaps living a meager existence) only to take your place among the "masters", something which may not even occur in your own lifetime?

I guess this is an age-old question...
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Fri May 19, 2006 10:02 am

I think that's up to the individual artist. I think as long as they maintain their artistic integrity is what's important. God, I could quote some echolyn lyrics here, but I won't. One just has to play what's in his/her heart and not be directed by what the masses or the record execs want. Not unless that is what's in your heart to play, because otherwise, your "art" becomes weak and insincere and anyone really 'listening' will hear that a mile away. *steps off soapbox*
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun May 21, 2006 7:25 pm

I'm all for artistic integrity, even if it means one doesn't get recognized in their lifetime, at least not by the masses.

I have seen more than one artist/band succumb to the "sellout" and do exactly what the record execs want them to do just to sell more units and it is sooo sad. Too many times to mention I have been frustrated because a particular artist is so underapprciated or underrated, but in the end I think it is for the best. No one can ever accuse them of compromising their art. Frustrating for the fan, but eventually it all works out.

As for remasters, sometimes one wonders what the big improvement actually is, but sounds like in this case it worked for the better.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Rain Tree Crow remastered

Postby traiskin on Wed May 31, 2006 11:20 am

John Trevethan wrote:Well, I don't know if it's due to the beefy remaster or just dropping my expectations (as Robert Fripp states: "Expect nothing.") - but I now feel that I finally "got it". It just took me fifteen years to catch up with where these guys were at in 1991! Now I feel that the record is all about space, and the drums & bass are masterfully subtle. Mick's lines are still there... they are just executed with extreme taste.

After reading this, I realise that maybe getting a remaster or two could be worth while. I was one of those people who didnt get Rain Tree Crow when it was released, either. Maybe after listening to the remastered version, I will finally "get it" too, although Im skeptical.
Nightporters slip away...
traiskin
Regular
Regular

Postby sisterlondon on Mon Mar 05, 2007 8:39 pm

I loved the RTC album since I first got it, but I got the remaster straight.

I have a question thought, what's the difference between the 2 remastered editions? And second, are there different editions in the old cds too? I've seen a Japanese box one, but it seems to go for a lot all the time on ebay.

Thanks in advance!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:52 pm

sisterlondon wrote:I loved the RTC album since I first got it, but I got the remaster straight.

I have a question thought, what's the difference between the 2 remastered editions? And second, are there different editions in the old cds too? I've seen a Japanese box one, but it seems to go for a lot all the time on ebay.

Thanks in advance!

I think one is in a digipak and the other is in a standard jewelcase. I think the actual CD is the same. Not as sure about the Japanese release, although I seem to remember a bonus instrumental. 'I Drink To Forget' is the bonus track on mine...

From astralwerks website... "Deluxe 6 panel digipak using foil printed text. Extra Shinya Fujiwara photo (originally only used in Japanese release) plus Douglas Brothers photos of individual band members. - Fold-out poster booklet (gloss art paper) included with more Douglas Brothers photos. "
http://www.astralwerks.com/japan_sylvian/
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:52 am

Thanks for the info! Definitely I just have the Tin Drum nice one, the other I have remasters with regular jewelcases. But I have to be good and save some money for my trip to London. Will keep an eye open anyway! Thanks again!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:26 pm

I finally was too tempted and bought the digipack edition of RTC. Wow, it looks much better than the other! Thanks for the info about it to everyone :)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Tue May 29, 2007 2:00 am

I looked for the RTC remaster on local (Dutch) online retailers but none of them have them in stock and some mention it is OOP :?

any suggestions what online shops have it available still?

cheers
Eric
Noone takes polaroids anymore
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Tue May 29, 2007 4:23 am

Eric, CD-wow has it and quite cheap. I guess this might be the jewel case edtion (simple packaging) and not the digipack because that's the one I got from them:

http://www13.cd-wow.com/detail_results. ... _code=7479

They don't charge delivery.

If you want I can make a direct copy from my disc and give it to you when I see it, in case you wnat to look for the digi edition (that I finally got on ebay).
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue May 29, 2007 7:11 am

Wait! Don't order it, read your Pms first ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Tue May 29, 2007 9:03 am

sisterlondon wrote:Wait! Don't order it, read your Pms first ;)

it took me a while to learn you do cross-forum PM's hehe - and thanks for the offer :-)

cheers
Eric
Last edited by The Analog Kid on Tue May 29, 2007 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Tue May 29, 2007 9:08 am

Cross forum PMing would be if I had a comment to your PTF post, told you here to check your PMs about it, and PMed you at Rajaz! LOL
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Tue May 29, 2007 9:09 am

erictak wrote:
it took me a while to learn you do cross-forum PM's hehe - and thnaks for the offer :-)

Duh, yeah I should have told you I had replied to you at the PTF. my bad! But you saw it ;)
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby The Analog Kid on Tue May 29, 2007 10:14 am

proggrl wrote:Cross forum PMing would be if I had a comment to your PTF post, told you here to check your PMs about it, and PMed you at Rajaz! LOL

:D yeah that would be cool (DS does not seem very popular on the Rajaz sit I notice - there is a strong tie between Camel ans PT fans - a strong one between PT and DS/Japan fans but a doscinnect between Camel and DS/Japan fans - that eneds further exploration methinks)

cheers
Eric
The Analog Kid
Obsessed
Obsessed

Next

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia