Obscure Alternatives

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby Sylvian's Beard on Wed May 02, 2007 3:14 pm

Obscure Alternatives is a good album. There was just as much effort put into this one as Adolescent Sex. 100% effort does not always translate into an amazing album though. I like it, although it didn't grab me like Adolescent Sex did. And yes, there are no bad Japan albums.
http://www.myspace.com/hanoi123
Meyrav wrote:Can you imagine David sitting on an elephant topless?!
Sylvian's Beard
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Burnsjed on Wed Jun 06, 2007 9:57 pm

Clearly not Sylvian's or Japan's shining hour, but the title track stands out, and was performed live many years later.
They actually mixed that track themselves, which is why it probably sticks out. Think it is betterthen AS personally.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:11 am

krausy wrote: These first two are "fun" and the rest of the work is definitely more mature and elegant. In a nutshell, they just "grew up".

I understand David to put it kindly does not adore the early work, and I certainly understand his right to feel that way, but I love it----I feel it is a part of him, it was where he was at, at a particular time in his life, and was a necessary part to get to where he is now.

absolutely right :)

Hm, it's weird since the first time i listened to OA i thought that the album is even better than Adolescent Sex.. then after a few listenings i changed my mind. though i really like songs like Rhodesia, Suburban Berlin occasionally and oh my, The Tenant.

it's also funny to watch the glam-look era videos since David looks so ambitious, and as krausy said, he probably ain't a fan of his early work, but that ambition is so cute!

aw, the weird thing is that why would David mention Obscure A. as the album that they should have started with?..
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia