What is your most valued Japan/Sylvian item?

Official releases, promos, bootlegs and memorabilia.

Postby Silver Moon on Sat May 27, 2006 12:32 pm

Ohh! That''s awesome, Kinki! Please scan some pictures for us if you have the time!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Sat May 27, 2006 12:42 pm

ugh i've been trying to get my hands on that one for a while now.... i'll keep the search going....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 27, 2006 7:53 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:my absolute most prized posession is my Perspectives book of David's mosaic polaroids. What I'd desperately love to aquire some day is the Japanese polaroid book. It sounds so lovely just to touch.
Yeah, the Perspectives book (English version) would be one of my most treasured collectables. Like you, I'd love to get a copy of the Japanese one.

Most of the things I have in my collection are older items that I bought when they first came out, like the Perspectives book which I purchased when I was in London back in the 80s.

Some of my other items that are special to me:
Old VHS tapes of Preparations for a Journey and Steel Cathedrals
Bamboo fanzines
Nearly worn out cassette recordings of interviews with David, Mick, Steve (from various radio shows in the UK and Japan, early to mid 80s)
80 Days Sylvian tour commemorative book (put out by the Bamboo folks)
Alchemy cassette and vinyl
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun May 28, 2006 12:12 am

oooh heart.... I would love to have had the experience of purchasing the Perspectives book when it was originally created. I love the book so much... as well as the Preparations of a Journey dvd I have. I was able to get a copy of Steel Cathedrals on VHS ... still in great condition...

have you ever seen the Japan version of the book come up for sale? I think it must be worth thousands of dollars....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Sun May 28, 2006 6:27 am

Silver Moon wrote:Ohh! That''s awesome, Kinki! Please scan some pictures for us if you have the time!

-Kera-

Of course I will. :D This is the second time I've tried to get my grubby mitts on this magazine - the first time I missed it.....so it obviously comes up from time to time - keep a VERY sharp eye out on Ebay...
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sun May 28, 2006 8:01 am

godisinthesilences wrote:have you ever seen the Japan version of the book come up for sale? I think it must be worth thousands of dollars....
No, I never have. I think you're right about the price it would fetch though. There are a lot of serious collectors (who must be rich, I think, lol!) who would pay that amount.

I've only seen scans of it, it looks amazing.

My copy still has the price sticker on it (on the back cover), a little over 14 pounds is what I paid.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun May 28, 2006 10:48 am

wow ... I remember when Nick Rhodes book came out it cost 25 bucks... of course i was a teenager and broke. I begged my mom for it and she was like you want it... you get the money to buy it. LOL At this point she had long since given up handing me over money for my duran addiction.
I never did get it ... until last year it came up for sale used on amazon.com. I ended up getting it for 50 but to me it was worth it. As was the many hundreds of dollars I spent on David's perspective book.
My only wish is that publishing for monographs back in the 80s was on better quality paper. Of course it would have then cost you more than 14pounds new.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sun May 28, 2006 10:18 pm

I'm with ya on the Nick Rhodes book---I bought it last year for about $70.
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon May 29, 2006 9:41 am

Personally I believe David's work was much better and more complete than Nick's work. Obviously two very different styles of work, but David quite obviously had a deeper connection to his work. When I see new work by Nick I think it is rather empty.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 12:55 pm

For me, it would probably have to be the two t-shirts from the Sylvian/Fripp "First Day" tour of Japan. Both a little small for me, since I'm not Japanese.

Next would be the Ember Glance-related stuff. I went to see the installation on the next-to-last day (having just read about it in Pia the day before), so I should still have my ticket stub somewhere. I've also got a couple of the flyers advertising the exhibit.

And I do have a copy of Perspectives that came with an autographed photo (the one from the "Red guitar" sleeve) of David Sylvian.

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Postby John Trevethan on Mon May 29, 2006 1:02 pm

lennbob wrote:And I do have a copy of Perspectives that came with an autographed photo (the one from the "Red guitar" sleeve) of David Sylvian.

Is this the mythical Japanese version?
John Trevethan
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby krishnablue on Thu Jun 15, 2006 9:10 pm

I'm not much of a collector, mainly because I've moved around quite a bit and have lost many things along the way. :(

A couple items I've managed to hold on to and treasure are my In Praise of Shamans tour book from '88, as well as the t-shirt from that tour.

I also have a book on Japan that is somewhat similar to that Onganku book, though I can't find it at the moment. I'll have to tear the house apart so I can describe it.
krishnablue
Noob
Noob

Postby kinki on Fri Jun 16, 2006 3:52 am

Looking forward to hearing about it...

when you mentioned your t-shirt, it reminded me I have a battered old David Sylvian t-shirt from Brilliant Trees which I'll try and find, photograph and post pics of!! hehe....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:36 am

oh tshirts from back then... those are treasures!!!!
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Tue Jun 27, 2006 6:38 am

Sh*t, still havent found that Brilliant Trees t-shirt....must. look. again.

I'm such a div - I missed out on a SIGNED COPY OF QUIET LIFE on Ebay at the weekend coz I was too busy watching football. DARN that pesky world cup. :cry: :roll:
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Music, Video, Memorabilia